D&D 5e: Oils of Melted Steel OOC (Spots Filled)

A forum for recruitment and out-of-character role-play discussion.

D&D 5e: Oils of Melted Steel OOC (Spots Filled)

Postby VintageBass » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:49 pm

In times of peace, small groups lurk in the shadows to plot up ways to bring forth chaos and shake up the order that was brought about after a long war. This is the story of one such group, fueled by the desires to resurrect an ancient devil to rule the land that once was his, to bring as much destruction and insanity to complete their massive ritual...

And also the story of one group of strangers to help stop this cult.

OOO

So this is my next attempt at another group RP, this time doing a D&D 5e campaign of my own creation. The story's pretty much a larger scale story dealing with this Cult of the Melting Steel, with the leading women (and one unknown individual) known as the Hands. The main goal of this is to stop one or more of the Hands from completing their resurrection of this devil that will bring the end of the world. I am pretty much going to have this go anywhere depending on the course of actions the characters make for the game, and pretty much lead it from there. Nothing set in stone at this point, other than a very loose story line that could affect any other stories that I do with this setting.

First off, some ground rules:

- This will be using Fifth Edition of D&D, so rule sets, including homebrew, and character sheets will be made in this system
- You are free to use homebrew creations so long as it fits in, and it's completed (since some things out there aren't balanced or in WIP status)
- Sex will be a thing, even though the system I found does use 3.5e, I'll figure out a system that'll work with this
- I will accommodate for fetishes, as while I may not be fond of certain practices, this isn't just for me. I want to have my players happy!
- I am hoping to update this on a weekly basis, or when everyone gets a post in. If I slip up on posting, please give me a slap to get into high gear (PM me about it)
- Leveling will be based on completing certain tasks and battling and will hand the right amount of XP for each occasion.
- I'll be using the Wizard's Dice Roller they have, and will work on creating dungeons through other sources, providing them when we go into dungeons.
- Finally, death will be a thing. So be careful and play smart, and have a back up just in case something awful happens.

Our Montly Crew
- Ocfos: Meera "Metria" Theriad
- Vhexo: Alysra
- DomJoe: Elia Hartwright
- lilbooth: Lilian Miraa
- That_One_Guy: Garian Jorell

Waiting List

- devilbird: Sutha Dundragon
- Phoenixcz: Victoria Elenwé
- Riptide:

For sheets, if Myth-Weavers is good for you guys, then hop on over there and fill something out, and then drop the characters off here.

Hopefully this is good enough. If you have any question, this is the place for it. I'll see about get this started up once everyone has their characters and we can get a new D&D game going on the site!
"Just because you can put your dick in it, it doesn't mean you can fuck it"
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Re: D&D 5e: Oils of Melted Steel OOC (Spots Filled)

Postby That_One_Guy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:59 pm

I do have a question: Dice rolls or Point-buy?
That_One_Guy

Postby VintageBass » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:07 pm

Dice Rolls, and as for what kind: 4d6, drop lowest.

That works?
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby That_One_Guy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:12 pm

Yes, thank you

EDIT:Here ya go
That_One_Guy

Postby lilbooth » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:26 am

this is already full :(. I love d&d. Let me know if anything frees up I guess
I really like purple.
lilbooth

Postby DomJoe » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:32 am

Ohhey, this is actually going to get off the ground! Yay!

Rolled in the Wizard Dice Roller, and I got a 16, 8, 13, 13 13, and 12. Clearly, this potential character is disqualified for the Lucky feat :P.
As for their actual role in the party, I see we already have a Fighter, and I'm assuming we're starting at level 1. I'll probably want to take a spellcaster with my rolls...
DomJoe

Postby VintageBass » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:50 am

Whatever works for you man, go for it! Any class is all right, I'm not looking too much for balance, just wanting to do something for fun and seeing what kind of possibilities will come from it. Also, yes, everyone is starting out at Level 1.

Also ToG, it might be good to get like extra details about your character in there, like your Features and Traits, Description, Personality and the like, It'll help us get a better understanding of your character. Oh, and if you have a picture, just put that in as well, preferably a link to get a much bigger version of it. And, in the Other Notes, would you go ahead and add your kinks and turn-offs in that? That way I can check those out to make sure of what you like and what not. Same applies to everyone else.
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby That_One_Guy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:25 am

Sure, I'll go ahead and do that.
That_One_Guy

Postby DomJoe » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:13 am

I think I will want to play a Half-Elf Sorcerer, with an archetype from the following article: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/featur ... ng-classes
The archetype in question is the Favored Soul Archetype (I would be taking the Light Domain spells for future reference). While the archetype is from the official Wizards of the Coast site, it's not 100% playtested or official, so I can understand if this was rejected. As for character, I don't have much planned out, but she would be the Favored Soul of http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Sarenrae, and will have the Criminal background as she will have been highly tangled up in the seedy underbellies of the world before finding her calling. I'll have the sheet done by the 26th at the latest, if the archetype is acceptable.

Edit: Just as a quick question, can we roll for gold instead of taking background and class equipment?
DomJoe

Postby VintageBass » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:38 pm

Well I did say homebrewing is allowed so what you're suggesting is fine by me so long as nothing is too broken and unplayable. So long as we're aiming high in terms of play percentage, we're good. After all, someone did thought of it and possibly tried it out, so it could work. As far as a God is concern, it works either way, as that pertains to your character and that's perfectly fine. I'm very loose when it comes to the god so those may vary, but I'll keep her in mind as we go along.

As for the gold... I didn't think about that. I can work with either on that, really that's up to you on that. If you want to roll for gold, go ahead. Really I'm not too familiar with what goes into that, I was thinking of just sticking to the background and class equipment, really. But, whatever works best for you man on that.
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby DomJoe » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:02 am

The only reason I'm not sticking with background/class equipment is because it would be hard for me to get armor otherwise (which is a big point in playing this particular archetype). Rolling for gold is detailed in Chapter 5 of the PHB, under Starting Wealth by Class. Basically, you can roll a certain amount of d4s depending on starting class and multiply the result by 10 to get the amount of gold you can spend. Sorcerers get 3d4x10, and I managed to get 90gp out of the deal, which is admittedly higher than average. I end up with roughly the same amount of equipment in terms of value, with various simple weapons and background stuff being traded in for armor.

In any case, here is Elia Hartwright: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=888712

Background: Elia grew up as an orphan in the slums, and being a half-elf hardly gave her any breaks. She was picked on because she looked like an elf, and real elves hardly took pity on her because to them she was more human than elf. Naturally, a girl like her resorted to stealing and the like to make ends meet, but she hardly got much in terms of food and clothing by stealing from stalls and snatching up wallets. Her fate seemed to change when she managed to stumble across a half-orc who was in the process of transporting something in the dead of night. She tried to trail him silently, but she was caught, and the man quickly scooped her up and threatened to kill her. Not having much to barter with, she pleaded with him, begging him to let her live, and in exchange, she would become his lackey and serve him faithfully.

To her surprise, he took her deal, although later on she would regret that decision. The half orc, who's name was Xandel, was cruel, brutal, and only really cared about money, and how to get more of it. And his main method of getting money was smuggling goods from place to place, to the people who would pay the most for said goods. Elia was included in his operations, but she was hardly treated like anything above dirt, and her living conditions did not improve much while he profited off of her work. On the night of an important heist, however, is when Elia's life really changed. This operation was going to be much different than the ones they had done before, and Elia would soon find out when they reached their cargo: a small human noble girl. Xandel wanted to traffic this girl to a slave's market so that she could be bought for thousands of gold pieces... and Elia wasn't about to let another girl suffer like she did. She pleaded with Xandel to reconsider, but he once again threatened to beat and kill her if she didn't comply. Rather than stand by and let things happen, though, Elia stood up for the girl, and began to struggle with the half-orc. She was physically weaker, but as she fought, she felt a powerful surge of holy magic course through her, and at the point where Xandel had her cornered and nearly bested, she unleashed a torrent of flame at him, scorching him to death.

Elia managed to escape that night alive, realizing that she needed to abandon this life and start anew. Her feelings were only solidified when she went to sleep, and dreamed of a radiant bronze angel, holding a scimitar and smiling at her. She instantly knew her as Sarenrae, goddess of redemption, and the one granting her the very powers that allowed her to defeat Xandel and protect the noble girl. Elia now wanders the land, looking to redeem others as she was redeem, and if necessary, to battle evils that refuse to change.
DomJoe

Postby Phoenixcz » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:44 am

Just in case someone drops and spot opens in the future... are you accepting replacements?
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby VintageBass » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:06 pm

It may be a possibility. Death is going to be a thing, and whether or not someone will die, or drop out because of inactivity or lack of interest, maybe?

And thanks Dom, that looks really great!
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby DomJoe » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:51 pm

I'm glad you like it, Bass! Took a bit to get the background just right, but I think Eria turned out pretty swell. 1st level is gonna be rough though, considering that even though she has great AC for a mage, she still only has 8 HP... Welp, I wasn't planning on heading to the front lines any time soon anyways.
DomJoe

Postby DomJoe » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:37 pm

I find it really odd that the others who expressed interest in this haven't even said that they are working on characters. Maybe this needs to become open recruitment, or maybe some messages need to be sent out to them.
DomJoe

Postby VintageBass » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Or I can allow the others in if the others don't show up, at least the ones who posted here. I'll see about sending a post over to the others to check up on them, to remind them that they got their spots. If not, I'll get the others here a shot.
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby devilbird » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:12 pm

If people are queuing up to to be alternates, is it alright if I throw my hat in as well? Please? It's a nice hat, I promise.
devilbird

Postby VintageBass » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 pm

Well since there are three people we're waiting on, it's more than likely I can squeeze you guys in if the others don't show up during that time. I know you're extremely capable of doing fantastic work devilbird, so I'll definitely consider you in the game, along with the others here as well.

Again, I'll send the others a note about their characters and if they don't reply soon, I'll open it up to you lot.
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby DomJoe » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:56 pm

I'm glad that steps are being taken to move this party train along again! I am curious what our potential new recruits would run if they were allowed a spot, though.
DomJoe

Postby devilbird » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:09 am

I'd probably remake my tiefling cleric from my current Curse of Strahd campaign. We kind of got screwed from the start, so I never really got to develop her as much as I would have liked.
devilbird

Next

Return to Out of Character