The Academy for the Supernaturally Inclined (OOC)

A forum for recruitment and out-of-character role-play discussion.

The Academy for the Supernaturally Inclined (OOC)

Postby johnnyarrow » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:49 pm

"Welcome to Wegener Academy, a place built for your like away from the human world. For those of you not yet acquainted with the rules, they go as follows:

1) There will be no fatalities on school grounds. While violence cannot possibly be completely eradicated, the murder of one of our precious students is strictly prohibited.
2) While I do realize that some of you are, lets say limited by your heritage, inappropriate relations are prohibited. (As if that will stop you heathens.)
3) We lack a dress code. Don't let me regret this. While we do not restrict what you CAN wear, you must wear SOMETHING.
4) In the event of an extra-ordinary emergency, please remain calm and follow your teacher's instructions.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm happy to welcome all of you into our gilded horrific halls. I expect that you will all flourish while here. I say again, Welcome to Wegener High School."

Alright. Yes I'm ready to die. So I've been an on again, off again lurker on here for a little while and only recently have I dragged my sorry corpse over to the roleplay side of things. This won't be my first rodeo as a Dungeon Master, but it will be the first time I try something without a specific system in mind. I will put in a system in the event of someone wantin' to start fuckin' people up, but you'll have to vote below in recruitment for that.

ANYWAYS, so this project of mine has been on my cerebrum for a very VERY long time. I've consumed some different media with this premise but it never quite scratches the weird itch. This is a high school built to teach the future children of monsters (Obscure and classic alike) how to survive in the modern world. They may choose to study concealment (Hiding away from humans) or immersion (Living among humans). Both will have the same classes more or less until they get to their 3rd and 4th classes of the day, which represent the opposing types. I'll run this a lot like lilbooth in the way that, once your character is accepted, I'll put up an opening post for you and you can respond from there. Once we get, oh, lets say 4 people, I'll gauge the crowd and we'll run from there. Now, as for my FAVORITE part, character creation. You must pick a type of monster in which you will be and you can choose something from mythology, urban legends, or classic horror literature or movies. You have to pick a gender unless this is deligated by the type of monster you are and your class set of either Concealment or Immersion. Note that the monster species overtakes player preferences, I don't wanna see male Nymphs (At least not greek. Link me to a page that says otherwise and I'll let it go). Remember to keep your lore in mind. This said, don't be afraid to modify little things. For instance, the Nekomata is a sort of evolution from the Bakaneko in Japanese mythology that transforms into different things and shoots fireballs. If, instead, you want it to be more like the stereotypical anime version where its just a cute girl with cat ears that's fine. Anyway, I suppose that covers everything, so if you guys have any further questions, POST EM. To reserve a spot post your characters name, year, height, bio, monster race, and class set. If its something weird I may PM you and ask you for a link to its description.
Last edited by johnnyarrow on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyarrow

Re: The Academy for the Supernaturally Inclined (OOC)

Postby lilbooth » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:42 pm

considering the other Rp's I am in have slowed down drastically I'll throw in my hat over here. Character sheet will come at some point in the next two days.

Here be that character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Name: Gwendolyn
Monster Type: Dryad
Appearance: Image
Height: 5'3"
Class Set: Immersion
Year: Freshman
Bio: Gwendolyn was born from the union of two maternal dryads. One was the guardian of a walnut tree and the other an apple tree. Both her parents were particularly young to be settling down, but the trees they inhabited both began to bear fruit rather early. Gwendolyn knows not the story of how they met or why they chose each other but she is certainly grateful they did. For a long time, they lived alone perched on a quaint hilltop protecting their trees and their new sapling. They occasionally enticed a deer or squirrel to their trees, which Gwendolyn became quite fond of. She never really liked birds very much, some of them were kind and beautiful, but the rest were loud and sprayed feces all over her branches. It took quite a long time for their peace to be disturbed by a group of humans that sought to steal the fruit and seeds from their family trees. Her parents had instructed her to hide whenever the humans were near, something that only made her more curious of them. The humans usually came it pairs and would snatch a fruit or nut from the trees and sit quietly in the shade. But eventually, more of them arrived together. Some of them carried bottles of fermented juice and slept under the trees when they drank too much. Some carried decorated baskets with bread and cheese. And most recently, they carried shovels and wicked looking axes. Gwendolyn's parents had decided it was in their best interest to not fight back against these men, for even if they succeeded then more would arrive to finish the job. The following few days were the most frightful of her life. The started by digging large holes around the base of their trees. Then they chopped through their roots. And finally, they used some great machinery to pull them free of the ground and load them onto another monstrous contraption. Gwendolyn slept while they men moved her, only awakening when her roots found new soil. They were long gone for their beautiful hill and lovely forest, and as she soon noticed her parents. She spent days weeping and sobbing, wishing she was back home. Nothing could break her from her sorrow till a large majestic owl arrived upon her branches. It carried a slip of paper that had invited her to enroll in some special school, and while she had no idea what it meant she knew that it couldn't be any worse than this.
Last edited by lilbooth on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I really like purple.
lilbooth

Postby johnnyarrow » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Oh hi there! Thanks mate. Looking forward to any sorts of critique you may have.
johnnyarrow

Postby MelissaB » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:28 pm

Name: Vorel'vutha'ixen
Monster Type: Euorpeon Dragon
Appearance:

Height: 6' 3''
Bio: Vorel'vutha'ixen is of the might dragon a union of black and red hence her scales, inheriting both from her parents, the world had changed her kind they had mostly decided to leave the world and stay away from it but she knew she wanted to experience more than isolation in the wilds and untamed regions that was left in the world, She wanted friends, playthings she wanted to live not just due to her ages long life span but because she wanted to enjoy her time on this world. Begrudgingly she convinced her parents to send her off to school to help her achieve her dream. She was sent to the school her dreams of living in the world of humans she would need to learn how to first a life and upbringing away from them living by only the rules of her kind. She knew her name would be troublesome on those not of her race and decided to shorten it for them, condensing her name to an easily manageable Vorel, saving them from having to remember more than one part of her name. The fact that it was basically a compliment to feed her vanity helped her accept the shortened version more readily than she would otherwise having everyone call her beautiful always made her smile.
Last edited by MelissaB on Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
A succubus. Poor misunderstood young ladies... they just want a little bit of love, little bit of death. Just like the rest of us -Gnarl

"Beware the Users of "Yo" I've got a big hammer to hit you with upon it's use" - Mel
MelissaB

Postby Riptide » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Name: Warren County
Monster Type: Jersey Devil
Appearance:

Height: 8' 4"
Class Set: Concealment
Bio: Warren County is actually a fake name he came up with to avoid getting shot on a Halloween night a few years back. He liked the name, though, so it stuck. He'd always lived on his own and evaded human life in the North American North-East Forests. But as technology started getting more advanced, Warren found himself facing more close calls than he is comfortable with. He decided to enroll himself in to the Academy to master the art of Concealment, and finally get some peace and quiet instead of eager amateur camera crews who don't know shit about focusing their lens.
Riptide

Postby johnnyarrow » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:32 am

Hey guys, don't forget your year particulars. Unless everyone is planning on being freshmen, make sure to put your year seniority. Goes Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.

Oh, and if you're planning on being anything more than Freshmen (which for this new setting and all would be recommended) please PM me so that I can give you some basic world information.
johnnyarrow

Postby exalted » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Name: Sera "Seraphim" Morningstar
Race: Fallen Angel
Class: Freshman, Immersion
Appearance:

Bio:
Born after the war in heaven, Sera's parents had refused to take sides in the conflict and had been cast out alongside the fallen after they lost, cursed to wander the earth. Throughout the ages she has observed mankind attempt to destroy itself time and again. She has tried to understand how they can deny Him but still reap His love while she is denied her grace as a Seraphim, to sit by His side and sing his praises. Finally, Sera has decided that merely watching is no longer an option, if she is to discover humanities state of grace she must learn to livd amongst them.
exalted

Postby johnnyarrow » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:05 pm

Alright, with the fourth character being posted I've put up the In Character post and Vorel's opening. Now, let us begin.
johnnyarrow

Postby MelissaB » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:15 pm

where's the fourth i count three
A succubus. Poor misunderstood young ladies... they just want a little bit of love, little bit of death. Just like the rest of us -Gnarl

"Beware the Users of "Yo" I've got a big hammer to hit you with upon it's use" - Mel
MelissaB

Postby johnnyarrow » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:26 pm

Ili, the first to respond. He's making a character.
johnnyarrow

Postby lilbooth » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:39 pm

johnnyarrow Wrote:Ili, the first to respond. He's making a character.

the character is up, just a warning the picture is massive and I didn't notice so scroll all the way out if you want to see its entirety.
I really like purple.
lilbooth

Postby Lazy Kitsune » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Is there still room in this? It's caught my interest.
~Yawn
Lazy Kitsune

Postby Hazard1325 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:12 am

If there's still room I'd be interested in this. Let me know if there's anything in her backstory that doesn't work with what you had in mind for this RP.

Name: Natalie Westfield
Monster Type: Siren
Appearance:

Height: 5' 11''
Class Set: Immersion, Freshman
Bio:

Life had been easy for Natalie up until puberty, instead of the normal talk most parents had with their children her mother shared a bit extra with her. She told Natalie the classical tale of Sirens from ancient Greece and how in the old world they lured sailors to their doom... or sometimes a bit of fun depending on their mood. After a while she began to wonder why her mother was telling her all this when she finally revealed her family line had descended from such creatures and their features began to develop during puberty. Over the next few years Natalie began to notice how she was always the best in any kind of musical classes and how most seemed enthralled by her voice.

At first it was nice but as she entered high school her monstrous traits began to worsen and simple fascination quickly turned to unwanted attention. More and more guys began hanging out around her and with a combination of her skimpy dressing habits and sirens call it wasn't long before they made a few moves... thankfully nothing physical ever came of it but she quickly developed a reputation around school as the local whore. What else where they supposed to think when guys would literally follow her into the girls restroom just to hear her voice? One unfortunate teenager got more than he bargained for as Natalie Siren nature nearly ripped his soul out and the boy was left comatose.

As the situation grew worse and rumors spread the principle began to threaten expulsion. Meanwhile at home her parents received an ultimatum from the secret powers that watched over the hidden world. Either their daughter would be tried for unsanctioned seduction and attempted murder of mortals or she would be forced to attend a special school that would help her learn control and be able to reintegrate with mortal society. When Natalie returned home she was ecstatic about the opportunity, she hated the extra attention her voice had brought her and a chance to see other strange creatures like herself excited her. Of course she had no idea how she would be received, she hardly looked monstrous at all or how her power might affect them. As her first day grew closer she began to feel nervous about how history might repeat itself and her reputation might persist...
Hazard1325

Postby johnnyarrow » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:01 am

Room for four more. I overestimated the work load I'd be under.
johnnyarrow

Postby devilbird » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:01 am

Name: Terios Andreas
Monster Type: Minotaur
Appearance:

Height: 7'3"
Class Set: Concealment
Bio: Terios often lived in fear of his bestial nature. He was afraid that if he ever lost control, he would never be able to get it back. As such, he tried to live his life in simple harmony. This wasn't an easy task while he was growing up. Minotaur children were often aggressive, and avoided him when they decided he was weak. Kids of most other species were usually just afraid. His gentle nature combined with his fearsome visage awarded few friends over the years. He loved to read when he was young, because the books never cared how scary he looked.

When he entered into highschool, Terios found a new set of problems. He was shy and awkward around people, and could barely talk to them. Many thought him to be some dumb brute and avoided him, never knowing how much he learned. At the same time, he now had to contend with grown monsters with raging hormones and something to prove. Terios was one of the biggest things around, and would jump start the reputation of any thug that could take him down. The young minotaur's peaceful nature was about to be tested.
devilbird

Postby johnnyarrow » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:50 am

WOO TWO PAGES! I'ma gonna got to bed now. May or may not post anything new tomorrow, leaning on the not.
johnnyarrow

Postby johnnyarrow » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:23 pm

I'm a bad liar. Anyway, COME ON PEOPLE! COME ON DOWN! THIS LOVELY LITTLE FREAKSHOW HAS COME TO TOWN! TAKE A SEAT! STAY AWHILE! FEEL FREE TO JOIN AND CRACK A SMILE!
johnnyarrow

Postby Lynxy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:23 pm

So when you're nearly 300 or almost as old as mankind, do you still need to sit in on algebra?
Lynxy

Postby Lazy Kitsune » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Name: Zephara
Monster Race: Harpy
Appearance:

Height: 6'1''
Bio: Zephara was always a very lively and athletic girl. While for most Harpies this wasn't a problem, being far from the prying eyes of humans on distant mountain tops or islands, for Zeph it was a whole other story. Coming from a nest atop a tall, old abandoned clock tower at the edge of a small human town, Zephara and her many many sisters had to hide their true nature, unable to fly the vast majority of the time. This led to her feeling rather pent up and annoyed at how limited she was around the nest and frustrated by how she had to not let any human see her wings or inhuman feet. While Zeph would grow to learn why hiding her Harpy nature was important, as a child she was rather naive, and would innocently question why these restrictions were necessary and why she couldn't fly down and speak with the humans in the town. Instead, she would often sit on the top of the clock tower, watching the town as everyone went about their business at day and all the lights went on at night.

As they grew up, many of her sisters left the nest, choosing to move to distant locations as to avoid human civilization, finding places where they could live free from fear of discovery and fly as much as they desired. Zeph, on the other hand, desired the opposite. Zeph stayed at the clock tower for a few more years before heading to the academy, longing to be able to go and live with the humans, talking and walking around freely with them. While she understood she could never let one of them see her take flight, she still felt like life among human civilization was more appealing to her than surviving in the wild and hunting for food like many of her sisters would be doing. She even wore human clothing to emphasize he desire to fit in with human culture. While she didn't know how, she figured it was possible for one of her kind to hide her wings and bird feet, perhaps find a way to appear like any other human. She knew finding a way to fit into human civilization would be a challenge, but having always been optimistic, she decided to give it her best shot.

(Would have had this up sooner but my internet cut out while I was posting it and I lost the entire post. I rewrote the bio, but there's every chance I may have left a small bit out in my frustration and not being able to properly remember what I have down and don't given my technical difficulties.)
~Yawn
Lazy Kitsune

Postby johnnyarrow » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:32 am

Just letting you know that if I'm not posting anything for you and you're currently in a conversation with another character I'm not trying to ignore you, just waiting to post something that would be considered a dramatic enough shift that would move the story into another direction. If this happens and you don't want to speak anymore, make sure to let me know at the end of your writing. I'm dumb I need blatant hints that are obvious but not immersion breaking. Something like "I could tell he wasn't listening to me so I decided to look away in distaste and cease this perpetual dumpster fire of a conversation." Thanks, love your big dumb dumby DM.
johnnyarrow

Next

Return to Out of Character