Roleplaying Discussion

A forum for recruitment and out-of-character role-play discussion.

Re: Roleplaying Discussion

Postby Yana » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:21 am

I more or less agree. Playing out combat in a forum roleplay has always been one enormous struggle against pacing, and it's why I thought it was critical to move beyond the tabletop modality of governing battle in some fashion. As a GM that strictly uses freeform and dispenses with dice rolls, I never boil down an encounter to just a single action.

System or no, I can't think of a versatile way to maximise the tactical depth of an encounter other than condensing the posting cycles into smaller, detailed intervals. The issue is that while an encounter is mostly comprised of supplementary, overlapping actions/reactions that accompany the primary action that makes up the focus of a post (and it's by exploiting these a PC has agency to steer the battle) it can be inefficient and undramatic to spend so many posting cycles on small actions that don't have a major, consequential effect on the course of events. That's forum roleplaying, really; hitting the high notes.

It's a matter of balance and strategy. I've known a few GMs who were fond of dividing encounters into the "main" enemies and lesser (usually nameless) characters the players were free to kill and manipulate as they wished so that they had "fuel" to write about without moving the battle along too quickly. I've also thought about breaking down encounters into parallel but overlapping battles which make it easier to act out a back-and-forth with somewhat less of the complexity that comes with handling multiple characters attacking one character.

But most critical reality to me is that in the end, combat is just one means to carry a narrative. There's only going to be so many fights and I'd rather have fewer but more important battles with irrecoverable consequences. I can't make my players spend their limited time and posts on inconsequential random encounters when more progress and detail could've been achieved doing anything else (or by not holding them up on their way to a more important scene.)

That's part of where character power comes into play with me, actually. What's a major threat to one character (say, a shakedown by some bandits) is barely a nuisance to another. It's about focusing the PCs on battles that mean something to them. I'm not going to send some thugs after a notably strong PC just to make them spend three posts detailing how the bandits were chopped apart unless it was the immediate setup to a much bigger scene.
Yana

Postby daxtinator396 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:39 pm

So lovely people if a game were to come up as a reboot of Polygems would you lovely people play in it? I already have a couple of yes'. It would be a SciFi action awesomeness game :3
daxtinator396

Postby Amaranis A'daragon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:11 am

Hey all, I have had the idea in my head since I've returned to this forum. Would anyone want me to do reboots of my pokemon rp (Rocket World) or the gladiator rp (Bloody Halo)? I got burned out the first time I was running them (sorry!), but have wanted to get back into the swing of things.
Sometimes I think i'm crazy, but then my other voice says i'm alright.

I'm not sure if i'm just too creative, or just cant focus on one thing.
Amaranis A'daragon

Postby Reaver » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:01 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Bloody Halo come back. The potential for PvP and PvE was quite staggering and I would most likely join again.
Renegade, Mercenary, Wielder of the Shaft of Justice, Angel-Rapist, Rp Contract Killer
He enters like a shadow, exits like a Horseman of the Apocalypse.
Seen it all, done it all.
Keeper-Senpai
Reaver

Postby CondorBoH » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:06 am

I had to search back through old stuff to find it, but yes Polygems sounds very interesting. Count me in, Dax.
CondorBoH

Postby exalted » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:32 am

Reaver Wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Bloody Halo come back. The potential for PvP and PvE was quite staggering and I would most likely join again.

Seconded, Aesa has some unfinished business with Katherine.
exalted

Postby Reaver » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:37 am

exalted Wrote:
Reaver Wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Bloody Halo come back. The potential for PvP and PvE was quite staggering and I would most likely join again.

If you call getting beat down in the mud unfinished. I guess I could make a show of it next time ;P
Renegade, Mercenary, Wielder of the Shaft of Justice, Angel-Rapist, Rp Contract Killer
Keeper-Senpai
Reaver

Postby exalted » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:44 am

Reaver Wrote:
exalted Wrote:

If you call getting beat down in the mud unfinished. I guess I could make a show of it next time ;P

exalted

Postby CondorBoH » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:37 am

That'll be fun to watch.
CondorBoH

Postby daxtinator396 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Sweet! Another person with interest! But I need more than 3 peeps. Nobody else wants anything to do with Polygems? I know a lot of the old players are gone now but if the new ones would look back and take a gander? It was honestly one of the most fun games I've had on here.
daxtinator396

Postby Yana » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:10 am

daxtinator396 Wrote:Sweet! Another person with interest! But I need more than 3 peeps. Nobody else wants anything to do with Polygems? I know a lot of the old players are gone now but if the new ones would look back and take a gander? It was honestly one of the most fun games I've had on here.

Is Zen in on it or are you just rebooting the setting with his permission? You made it sound like the latter, which is a tentative maybe for me.
Yana

Postby daxtinator396 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:02 am

He is indeed in on it. I forgot to mention that previously! The way we were talking about it involves the both of us sharing the load. Myself possibly even taking over for some of the players if there is enough interest. But yes. Zen is indeed involved and we are trying to gauge interest.
daxtinator396

Postby Yana » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:10 pm

All right. Count me in for now, but no guarantees.
We can live forever if you've got the time.
Yana

Postby daxtinator396 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:21 pm

Sweet. That's four peeps. One more and I say this would be worth it.
daxtinator396

Postby Reaver » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:46 am

You aren't going to get many people with promises of grandeur, even if they might get fulfilled. You'll probably get a whole lot attention once Zen gets an OOC up.
Keeper-Senpai
Reaver

Postby KnightVanilla » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:10 am

Amaranis A'daragon Wrote:Hey all, I have had the idea in my head since I've returned to this forum. Would anyone want me to do reboots of my pokemon rp (Rocket World) or the gladiator rp (Bloody Halo)? I got burned out the first time I was running them (sorry!), but have wanted to get back into the swing of things.

I'm interested
Life has gotten so much more boring. Well I suppose it doesn't help if I say my only source of entertainment is YouTube and here. So yeah not much of interesting life going on.
KnightVanilla

Postby CondorBoH » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:20 am

I'm thinking up an RP set at a beach resort. There will be some kind of contest that everyone is competing in. Sex is involved, I'm still working on the specifics of it, what kind of contest and all that. Some help would be appreciated on that front, but for now I'm just trying to see who'd like a beach resort setting.
CondorBoH

Postby that man » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:14 am

CondorBoH Wrote:I'm thinking up an RP set at a beach resort. There will be some kind of contest that everyone is competing in. Sex is involved, I'm still working on the specifics of it, what kind of contest and all that. Some help would be appreciated on that front, but for now I'm just trying to see who'd like a beach resort setting.

So, you were thinking about something like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_or_Alive_Xtreme_Beach_Volleyball
Just with actual sex instead of implied sex.
that man

Postby Nobudi » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:42 am

Oh God. Here we go XD

Are we playing Keijo next?
Nobudi

Postby CondorBoH » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:02 am

that man Wrote:
CondorBoH Wrote:I'm thinking up an RP set at a beach resort. There will be some kind of contest that everyone is competing in. Sex is involved, I'm still working on the specifics of it, what kind of contest and all that. Some help would be appreciated on that front, but for now I'm just trying to see who'd like a beach resort setting.

So, you were thinking about something like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_or_Alive_Xtreme_Beach_Volleyball
Just with actual sex instead of implied sex.

Jesus christ, yes that is the best idea ever. Though a bit more focused on specific challenges and competitions so that everyone is there together, rather than scattered doing separate games.
Now, to make it an all girls (some with extra) game or not...

Nobudi Wrote:Oh God. Here we go XD

Are we playing Keijo next?

... Maybe. Just give the girls more dick and it'll be something else.
CondorBoH

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character