Roleplaying Discussion

A forum for recruitment and out-of-character role-play discussion.

Re: Roleplaying General Discussion

Postby Kuragari » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:05 am

napsii Wrote:Stat or roll penalties to certain areas, perhaps. Using PE powers past a certain limit (determined by the appropriate stats) could also exhaust a character, etc.

You can also employ more non-mechanical disadvantages like making enemies more drawn to them, or forcing hallucinations/other episodes on them due to the complex symbiotic nature of mitochondria with their host.

Also: Is there any plan to involve BP that can be exchanged for new gear, or will characters be provided with weaponry from the start?

The non-mechanical disadvantages would probably work better, as the Mitochondria tend to enhance characters so penalties to stats don't exactly make sense. But I do agree with the using it beyond a certain limit having negative effects. Incredible exhaustion is one idea, the possibility of the mitochondria trying to possess characters is another (not permanently unless it happens several times) or maybe the possibility of...interesting side effects ;)

I would likely come up with something involving BP that could work.
Kuragari

Postby napsii » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:11 am

Yeah, I agree non-mechanical disadvantages are far more plausible, thematically speaking. Mechanically, PE powers should just require a large investment in particular stats to avoid people possessing super strong PE powers while still being excellent marksmen, etc.

If you choose to employ BP, I recommend you use (as opposed to letting people make up their own guns) a predefined list of weapons (divided by type) and limit peoples' choices in starting weaponry to their stats (or class if you use that.)

Also, it just struck me that if this is supposed to take place just a few years after PE2, then it would be in... 04, 05? I'd recommend advancing it to 2013/2014 so we can make use of contemporary technology that might not have been available back then.
napsii

Postby Kuragari » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:11 am

napsii Wrote:Yeah, I agree non-mechanical disadvantages are far more plausible, thematically speaking. Mechanically, PE powers should just require a large investment in particular stats to avoid people possessing super strong PE powers while still being excellent marksmen, etc.

If you choose to employ BP, I recommend you use (as opposed to letting people make up their own guns) a predefined list of weapons (divided by type) and limit peoples' choices in starting weaponry to their stats (or class if you use that.)

Also, it just struck me that if this is supposed to take place just a few years after PE2, then it would be in... 04, 05? I'd recommend advancing it to 2013/2014 so we can make use of contemporary technology that might not have been available back then.

was already thinking of a predefined list of weapons that could be purchased or gained.

and that also works, it lends more plausibility for why the canon characters aren't present (killed off, retired, vanished off into the horizon or some such.)

Thanks to bad weather, I won't be going to work tonight, so I can actually get to work on some of the stuff for this.
Kuragari

Postby napsii » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:19 am

Yeah, that sounds good. I wonder who will be the first one to get their hands on the Railgun. xD

In general I just prefer not to deal with canon characters, but I think it'd still be interesting if some canon locations remained. Dryfield was razed to the ground by the end of PE2, but perhaps it could have been rebuilt, for example. And the Chrysler Tower from PE1, etc.
napsii

Postby Kuragari » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:54 am

Within the next two weeks, I should have at least enough stuff ironed out for the PE RP idea to start an OOC thread. It'd be sooner, but I work the next five days, and I also am taking part in two soon to be three rps (one elsewhere, one here, and another here once it gets started) and am also working on about 4 fanfics.
Kuragari

Postby BlueLight » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:13 am

isn't graceflower on his 3rd RP now? I have no idea if any of his others are still active.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby A Very Random Guest » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:33 pm

I think only the 'The H-Virus' is the one that's active at the moment.
A Very Random Guest

Postby Kuragari » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:47 am

BlueLight Wrote:isn't graceflower on his 3rd RP now? I have no idea if any of his others are still active.

Wait, Graceflower is GM of several games? By any chance, does Graceflower also have characters for himself in those games?
Kuragari

Postby Thaedael » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:58 am

*she *her *etc.
Thaedael

Postby Kuragari » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:48 am

Hey, I never know on the net.

Anyways, for those interested, I've come up with a summary for the PE H game I'm working out.

13 years have passed since the Neo-Ark incident, and while the mad organization responsible for the experiments that lead to the Akropolis Tower Massacre and the destruction of Dryfield has been wiped out, NMC incidents have not decreased, and have in fact spread to other continents. This caused MIST to become spread thin…

But then, numerous people began coming forward describing themselves as having ‘awoken’, and wishing to help combat the monsters that are spreading. These were humans who were having the same evolution as Aya Brea, the first human to be able to co-exist peacefully with her Awoken Mitochondria.

With Aya having mysteriously vanished, MIST was more than willing to take in these volunteers, and soon had developed a special team for the more dangerous and risky incidents. They quickly proved themselves devoted to the cause of stopping NMC’s, not to mention proving that those with awoken Mitochondria were not humanity’s enemies.

Recently however, a peculiar case has come forward that must be taken care of carefully. In a small town in the middle of Colorado, a number of NMC citings have been reported, and usually after the sightings, local women would end up missing. MIST has acquired information that suggest something very different from the usual cases is going on, as a person has come forward saying he witnessed an NMC sexually violating a woman before vanishing with the same woman.

MIST has sent several agents to investigate these sightings, and to gain any evidence to confirm this witness testimonial.

What they don’t know, is that this will be unlike any case MIST has taken on…and some of them might not make it out intact...in mind or body...
Kuragari

Postby Goryokaku » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:34 pm

I was walking round the creativity thread so casually and i found my self here again... dear me. Hey Thae good to see you escaped the life of a moderator, This PE H game... what is it? or should i quickly trumple through the general discussion thread to find out more?
The sex offenders register... I don't even think they should be at school...
Goryokaku

Postby napsii » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:46 pm

I think you should. And, even though I don't think we're acquainted, welcome back!

The premise for the PE roleplay is pretty solid. I doubt my character is going to be that great, though, since I'm going to have to adapt her into the lore (from an original setting) and having mostly forgotten it, I'm gonna be pressed to make an interesting PC. :c
napsii

Postby Goryokaku » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:49 pm

Hmmm okay I'll go have a look i sort of want to play a new character.

and thank you for the welcome back Napsii i do think I've met you before though.

haha ok just realised Parasite Eve... I love the game so yeah I'm likely to look at making a character. Gorbaz's games always interest me too.
Goryokaku

Postby napsii » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Kuragari's making the thread.

Also, I think the weird part about this conceptual character I am going to use for it is that she was meant to be used in an original setting and the possibility of a ton of other PC's sharing her powers could upset dynamic I had originally intended for. xD
napsii

Postby Goryokaku » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Oh it's fine, I'm gonna wait till i see the OC before i start to flesh out anything so if anything I can adjust things if there to similar in plan but I more or less want to play a character that shouldn't fit the role, it's normally always a cop or a soldier who gets the abilities but I wants to be a librarian.
Goryokaku

Postby napsii » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 pm

I always did like abnormal characters with backgrounds or skills that didn't fit their choice of career.

Librarians can be useful, though. Books could be easily relevant, although I suppose the idea is that they're likely not.
napsii

Postby Goryokaku » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Oh she'll be knowledgeable but useless with anything that requires physical skills or good hand eye co-ordination, if she had to use a gun i would hand it to her and step into a different room as she's likely to be the type to turn around with it pointing and ask how do i make it shoot.
Goryokaku

Postby napsii » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:07 pm

I expect my character will be none too bright with guns and top secret military tactics, either, although I expect a MIST agent to possess basic competence and familiarity with firearms.
napsii

Postby Goryokaku » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:19 pm

I don't want to be an agent i want to be found... i can imagine the ghost stories in the library of weird happening when it's just my character... working late...
Goryokaku

Postby napsii » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Recipe for disaster. :z
napsii

PreviousNext

Return to Out of Character