Pathfinder RPG

A forum for recruitment and out-of-character role-play discussion.

Pathfinder RPG

Postby Demon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:52 am

I thought about starting a Pathfinder role-play.
My idea is not to start a rough-rape role-play game, but a classic RPG with a little "spice" between characters (and some new rules a for the things such as seduction and other stuff).
I'd like to know you opinion about this.
If you like the idea, post the campaign setting type (such as medieval, modern, victorian, etc) you'd like to play.
Those who are familiar with RPG's are welcome to contribute. :mrgreen:
Everyone but us is the enemy...
Demon

Re: Pathfinder RPG

Postby kitsune106 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:58 am

i would be. Say.. msn, or here? since either one i can do
kitsune106

Postby Lady Foxy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:06 am

Modern :D!
Atton Rand: "Feels like my last time on Telos."
Bao-Dur: "Crashed a shuttle that time, too?"
Atton Rand: "No, pazaak.''
Lady Foxy

Postby TheDaughterOfHades14 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:45 am

Eh, I know it's not much help but, I could go with anything. So I think I'll vote for all 3? :D? Well, I've been in to much medieval lately... I go with modern! *high fives fox*
Seriously gonna stop being Rape-Bait

Y U NO HAZ SEX WIT ME ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
The Daughter Of Hades has reached 666 posts...

Till we meet again in the after life...
TheDaughterOfHades14

Postby banana » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:46 am

I like pathfinder. I'd prefer medieval fantasy, since the system is made for that setting. As long as things don't move to fast (more than thrice a week), I'd play.
banana

Postby BlueLight » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:48 am

never played or heard of it. The only roleplaying system i've hear about is D&D and game workshop games. That being said i only know the rules for 4e (Sorry i really don't see whats wrong with it people) and lord of the rings (I got like 4 rule books for lord of the rings.)
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby banana » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:32 am

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

EDIT:
As for what's wrong with 4th edition... those of us who are used to earlier editions mostly take offense at the streamlining of class builds, leveling, and magic item collection. It seems as though the system was designed to fit the model of a video game, with upgrades at regular intervals and not too much thought put into the progression of one's character (you follow path A or B or C, as opposed to a myriad of multi-class combinations or prestige class builds to select). The gameplay seems to place battle and ordinary roleplay in separate spaces, which is another quality of video games. In a video game, you have your plot-progression time, and your battles that interrupt it but help you level, and each space uses different mechanics (eg. you can't use a Phoenix Down to save Aeris from getting killed by the plot). The same thing seems to happen in 4th edition D&D, in that encounters are their own separate hermetically sealed situations that have nothing to do with the rest of your roleplaying experience. In an encounter, you have an enumerated set of options to pick from, and once the battle is over you're free to say and do whatever is in character. It's like you're having a conversation, and someone rushes at you with a weapon, and everything fades into BATTLE MODE, and you pick which attack option you're going to use.

So whether or not it was the intention (I think it is), it seems that 4th edition D&D is set up very much like a J-RPG or an MMO. The other problem I have is that of race selection. Because of the way they've set up ability scores, there's a powerful incentive to select a race that agrees with the class build you want to take. For example, if you want to be an archery ranger (maximizing dex and wis), you have to be an elf, shifter, or githzerai, so you get bonuses to those stats. If you want to be a cunning bard (maximizing cha and int), you have to be a gnome or a tiefling. That kind of restriction has two effects: One, it makes certain builds impractical, such as a dwarf fighter or an elf warlock (nothing stops you from making one, but it's going to be underpowered). Two, it makes your typical party full of different player races, so that the setting seems like some ridiculous melting pot. There are no human kingdoms, elven traditions, dwarven mines, orcish tribes, just a mess of goliaths, eladrin, drow, githyanki, warforged, gnomes, shifters, dragonborn, blah blah blah. It's the same problem that Forgotten Realms had, where there's just too much crap going on for a concise storyline to form. No single person can fit it all into a coherent world without conveniently ignoring parts of it (Star Wars had this problem, but to a lesser extent. They focused on humans for reasons of costume budget, and it ended up helping them, dramatically).

Anyways, Pathfinder provides a multitude of race and class options (most of the races labeled as "unusual"), but it seems to me that there's more flexibility in what you choose. Your attack success is not dependent on having 18 instead of 16 in a given stat, and so there isn't as much pressure to follow a prescribed build path. You can mix and match class levels to have more control over your abilities and progression, and you aren't pidgeon-holed into a "role" (striker, defender, controller, leader), but can decide your character's identity in-game by figuring out what works and what doesn't. Instead of saying, "Oh, we need a defender, you should make a paladin or fighter or warden", you say, "Our current party isn't well prepared for surprise attacks, so someone with high AC and full BAB would be useful to distract enemies away from our spellcasters".

So that's my beef with 4E.
banana

Postby BlueLight » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:11 am

Okay next question. Is there a online legal version (has to legal for you to tell me on the forum after all) of pathfinder player handbook(or their version of s Player hand book.

im intrested in this but not invested. I need to know the rules basic which i can find myself if no publicly known legal source is available.
Second chat need to be decided. I'd would rather not be forced to use a mic in a chat and maybe not even listen depending on the day. Also i don't have account with most IM so i do need to know this so i can set up a account. Also i hear googles new soical network supports 8 people in chat. Might have been 4 but still do you think we can use that since im guessing most people have a Google account already from something(I would under stand if some people didn't want too use that)
BlueLight

Postby Malcanthet » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:40 am

How amusing that this is posted, I'm an avid DM and have been running for many, many years. My current favorite system is the pathfinder RPG, as it is the continuation of the DnD d20 style system I like the most.

I've even made up a whole skew of mechanics which are to facilitate sexual interaction.. and they feel like the rest of the game, without being too *cough* unreal. I've had a lot of fun with it -- and if You've ever been on Open RPG and the Adult Server, I started that up and am actually a moderator on it.

We have a lot of fun people there and if you're interested, feel free to show up and try to start something - we love the traffic.
Malcanthet

Postby banana » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Bluelight, the link I posted above is the online srd, the free equivalent of the PHB.
banana

Postby Demon » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:23 pm

BlueLight Wrote:never played or heard of it. The only roleplaying system i've hear about is D&D and game workshop games. That being said i only know the rules for 4e (Sorry i really don't see whats wrong with it people) and lord of the rings (I got like 4 rule books for lord of the rings.)

Pathfinder is almost the same as DnD 8-)
Demon

Postby Demon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:56 am

I strongly recommend using any medieval-tech campaign setting, as the firearm rules are annoying as hell
Demon

Postby BlueLight » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:12 am

Demon Wrote:I strongly recommend using any medieval-tech campaign setting, as the firearm rules are annoying as hell

What are you sper spanker tak abot with uor fie args and stuff.
BlueLight

Postby BlackKnight » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:24 am

Would it be possible to mix both Medieval and Modern. By the aspect I down really mean firearms. What I mean is that maybe in one area there could be a town full of Medieval based weaponry In another area, there could be a more Modern version where they have the weapons base but in a fantasy aspect (like a beam weapon made exactly like an axe for example with the same stats and possible effects)
BlackKnight

Postby Demon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:56 pm

I'm working on some stories currently.
Everyone is welcome to join
Demon

Postby Demon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:29 am

Thought about some random stuff.
got a fixed story.
I would like you to choose the ambient (Lord of the Rings-like, final fantasy-like, medieval or other)
Demon

Postby Lady Foxy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:45 am

Lord of the Rings?
Atton Rand: "Feels like my last time on Telos."
Bao-Dur: "Crashed a shuttle that time, too?"
Atton Rand: "No, pazaak.''
Lady Foxy

Postby Demon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:05 am

LadyFox Wrote:Lord of the Rings?

Ambient. I cannot call it medieval for many reasons and its the easiest way to refer people to my idea
Demon

Postby BlueLight » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:11 am

Fantasy is the word your thinking of i believe.
BlueLight

Postby banana » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:00 am

Yeah, high fantasy vs. low fantasy. I have a fondness for low fantasy (the one with less magic available). There's a version of d20 for the Conan universe that handles that idea well - classes are based on skill sets and fighting styles, rather than on magic powers (except for one class with some hardcore drawbacks), and there's a system of getting damage reduction from wearing armour and having the chance to bypass your enemy's DR with finesse or brute force, making your equipment choices more meaningful in lieu of just stacking on magic effects. And other little things, such as the lack of any common language (adventurers are expected to know many languages and learn new ones as they travel), and the way weapons and wealth are easy come easy go (it's more important to have a good sword arm than a good sword).
banana

Next

Return to Out of Character