Why wont it work!?

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

Why wont it work!?

Postby TheFriendlyGuy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Ey guys,

ive been progressing with flash, but now ive stumbled upon a weird obstacle that i cant fix and i hope some of you smart people could explain to me how to fix this. Basically ill upload a pic that will show more than a 1000 words, so here have a go at it! Image red circle is how i dont want it to be and how it is right now, and green circle is how i want it to be. When i would click away from the image im changing, it will change to the image to the right.
TheFriendlyGuy

Re: Why wont it work!?

Postby Anonymouse » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:51 pm

Looks like you are using one layer? Put each circle on a different layer.
Anonymouse

Postby TheFriendlyGuy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:35 pm

its actually just a circle i quickly made with an automatic line around it. There must be a better way then putting it in another layer right? Basically i made a circle, put a color on the outline, then dragged the middle circle a bit to the right to get a sharp line effect. But then the outline just goes over the inner circle and becomes weird. If theres a better way to get the effect i want i wouldnt mind hearing that aswell! :p
TheFriendlyGuy

Postby Anonymouse » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:53 pm

So the blue is a curve and the red is a fill? If you don't want to use two layers, use two fills. Make a blue circle and delete the outline, duplicate it, then change the colour of the new circle and move it.

Edit: Oh and I guess if you want the blue to go more than half way around the circle you'll need to scale it down by a couple of pixels too.

Because Flash is Vector based, everything is made of curves and fills and curves always render on top of fills. If you use the Pen tool (P) you can see how Flash has defined the curves and fills of your image:
Anonymouse

Postby TheFriendlyGuy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:21 pm

Ive actually been digging around it aswell and come down on the same conclusion; having two fills, instead of a fill trying to sharpen the line. But i also found another solution, namely: converting the stroke to a fill by going to; modify>shape>convert lines to fills. Im sure your method will come in handy aswell tho, so thanks a bunch!
TheFriendlyGuy

Postby ANooB » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:46 am

yet another way is to create a circle fill colored like the desired outline, then put a slightly smaller circle on top of the circle you're planning to cut, then press 'Q' for your transform tool and drag one of the handles while holding control to distort the circle you wish to delete.
Spruce your games up using free vector content: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=7109

There're no such things as mistakes, just happy little accidents. ~Bob Ross
ANooB

Return to Tutorials