the new newb

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

the new newb

Postby texasstallion » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:15 am

Ok so i want to start learning how to make games, and i would like to get so info from everyone. First what is the best software i should use, i have unity and all the rpgmakers but i have no game makings skills at all, and no drawing skills. i would like to make a date sim game for Krystal, and eventually do a game like humbird0 1 with Pokemon and 1 without.

also can unity run as flash and can rpg maker run as flash. Is their a page that has all the free game engines, sprints, backgrounds and other stuff used here, sorry for the dumb questions?

Should i get an adobe flash and if so which on?
texasstallion

Re: the new newb

Postby Terrantor!!! » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:06 pm

Welcome to the forums. A lot of those engines are not compatible with one another. So you can't run a flash file in unity or vice versa. I'd say go with unity because it has a free version and it's actually quite easy to learn once you get over the basics of object oriented programming. The languages it uses (your choice between C# and Java) are gaining popularity and perform really well. If you've learned one you've learned them all as they are virtually the same with different syntax (pretty much the format of the language).

Flash has reached its hayday and is losing a lot of popularity due to recent mass bootlocking software. I love flash and still use it as a primary platform, but things will change soon and it's best not to tamper with it. Flash's language, Actionscript is very similar to C#, however and you will probably know how to use it by the time you're done with unity, anyways. Another issue is pricing. The version I'd recommend Flash CS6 is still very expensive.

RPG Maker and Game Maker are good starter programs to help you learn fundamentals (if loops, for loops, and while loops) but not something I'd rest my laurels on.

One program I'd recommend is Construct 2. It makes development for html 5 (the new flash) much easier and it has a free version.

Art will be something you need to get on later after you build the engine. Artists can be really flaky if they don't receive pay or see a working product to produce for. So pretty much right now just use square boxes as objects and try to play around. I'll be around if you have any questions when you choose which tool you want to use.
Terrantor!!!

Postby texasstallion » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:38 am

ok thanks so the only way i can make a flash game is to use adobe flash, ok that kinda sucks i think unity is overkill thou but i guess that what ill go with.

so i went to adobe just to check it out and i am a student so i would get a discount so i might consider flash which program the use to create flash
texasstallion

Postby VintageBass » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:46 am

texasstallion Wrote:which program the use to create flash

More like which version of Flash should you go with... and honestly I don't know. I would think you would go with the latest version, but I'm not keeping track of the updates, so I know there's CS5, but you can also get CS4 or CS3... but then again, I'm not one to mess with Flash to begin with. Really, I would suggest CS5 or just look around and see which version strikes you, because I know different versions will have different features.
"Just because you can put your dick in it, it doesn't mean you can fuck it"
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby Terrantor!!! » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:15 am

texasstallion Wrote:ok thanks so the only way i can make a flash game is to use adobe flash, ok that kinda sucks i think unity is overkill thou but i guess that what ill go with.

so i went to adobe just to check it out and i am a student so i would get a discount so i might consider flash which program the use to create flash

vintage is correct, the most recent version is Creative cloud, the only thing is unless you go subscription, even as a student it'll cost an arm and a leg, but it allows you to build for the most recent flash player. I use flash CS6 which allows you to build up to flash player 11, i think. I'm pretty satisfied with the features so far and anything that supports flash will be able to play ur game. So I'd do cs6.

Oh, one thing I forgot to suggest is if you're gonna be a straight up coder, you can get a free program that just lets you build code for flash. It's called Flash Develop. The only thing is I'd definitely recommend some background with coding before using it as it's not as user friendly as Flash Authoring tool.
Terrantor!!!

Postby Anonymouse » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:24 pm

Terrantor!!! Wrote:Oh, one thing I forgot to suggest is if you're gonna be a straight up coder, you can get a free program that just lets you build code for flash. It's called Flash Develop. The only thing is I'd definitely recommend some background with coding before using it as it's not as user friendly as Flash Authoring tool.

Flash Develop is pretty awesome and even if you are using Adobe Flash Professional it's worth getting, as the built in programming environment in Flash is dreadful.
Anonymouse

Postby texasstallion » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:20 am

https://www.adobe.com/offer-terms/edu_p ... moid=KTRPD only 200 for the year

Cs6 is 700 dollars so, i might just go with learning unity, and see how i like it, and then maybe do the year subscription later.

Is their any legend of crystal stuff for unity?

thats for all the help
texasstallion

Postby Anonymouse » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:03 pm

As far as I know, there's no LoK stuff for Unity.

You can use Unity for free though, and it's pretty good. If you want to make a platformer or something like that in particular it's a lot easier than Flash.
Anonymouse

Postby Digitally-Deviant » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:07 am

All the LoK stuff can technically be converted to work for unity. You can't really worked with vector stuff in unity, so you'd have to convert you game objects to .png files.
Digitally-Deviant

Return to Tutorials