Looking to make an erotic strategy game/dating sim

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

Looking to make an erotic strategy game/dating sim

Postby MegaPlayboy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:37 am

Hey guys,

After playing a couple of somewhat basic "strategy" hentai games, known as "Slave Maker" and "Otherworld," I got an idea to create my own flash game.
Later, after playing perhaps one of the most famous NSFW games in existence known as SimGirls, the deal was sealed. I wanted to make something that is emotional, fun, and erotic.

I'm a very skilled writer and I believe I can put this to good use. Art is not a problem; I'll borrow some to start (like Otherworld did), and if I actually do something noteworthy, I'll recruit an artist. My problem now is... how do I do this? I have Flash Professional CC 2014, and I'm semi-fluent in C++, if that helps.

Any pointers or basic instructions on how I can get something in front of me are greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to give credit up and down to everyone who helped me along the way if I'm successful. Thank you!

EDIT: I have both Adobe Flash CS5.5 and Adobe Flash CC 2014. I'm getting a better vibe from CS5.5, but which would you recommend?
MegaPlayboy

Re: Looking to make an erotic strategy game/dating sim

Postby MegaPlayboy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:22 am

This is what I've learned how to do in the couple hours that I've messed around in flash.
Not Safe For Work
Attachments
Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

flashtest.swf [ 234.92 KiB | Viewed 1222 times ]

MegaPlayboy

Postby MegaPlayboy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:15 pm

After some more time fiddling around with Flash, I know what I'm doing. However, I have two concrete questions.
First, what size should I make my game? The default size is 550x400 (as my above test game is), but I'm doubling it to 1100x800. Is this okay? Is there a better size?
Second, is there any upside to using CC 2014 over CS5.5? CC 2014 confusing and I can't do much without meticulously googling tutorials every five minutes.
MegaPlayboy

Postby GoRepeat » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:28 am

CS is generally considered a better platform. As far as resolution goes, really that is up to you; I tend to like 800x480, personally. Just remember, the bigger it is, the more redraw will be required if you go animation heavy.
Picarto LiveStream: https://picarto.tv/GoRepeat
Other Stuff: Click Here
GoRepeat

Postby MegaPlayboy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:27 pm

GoRepeat Wrote:CS is generally considered a better platform. As far as resolution goes, really that is up to you; I tend to like 800x480, personally. Just remember, the bigger it is, the more redraw will be required if you go animation heavy.

A reply from one of the kings of Flash! I'll keep that in mind, thank you.
One little bug I have, and this goes out to everyone: how do I stop music from frame to frame? In my Stigma Sim, music is placed on the first frame. Suppose I wanted it to stop on the second. Is there a function to stop it or something?
Ignore the tiny text, I figured it out.

EDIT: One concept that I think will put the nail in the coffin of me being able to do this - I'm not sure how it works - is carrying code between frames. For example, I have this in my second frame:

Code: Select All Code
livelyButton.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, livelyButtonClick);

function livelyButtonClick(event:MouseEvent)
{
   var personality:String = "lively";
   nextFrame();
}

stop();

If I were to trace(personality), it would spit out "lively" just fine.
However, when I go to trace personality in the third frame, it doesn't recognize it. How can I carry the information from frame two to frame three?

Thanks a bunch :D
MegaPlayboy

Postby GoRepeat » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:30 am

MegaPlayboy Wrote:If I were to trace(personality), it would spit out "lively" just fine.
However, when I go to trace personality in the third frame, it doesn't recognize it. How can I carry the information from frame two to frame three?

Thanks a bunch :D

You are declaring the variable within the function, so it is only local to that function. Declare it outside the function then set it within:
Code: Select All Code
var personality:String;
livelyButton.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, livelyButtonClick);

function livelyButtonClick(event:MouseEvent)
{
   personality = "lively";
   nextFrame();
}

stop();
Picarto LiveStream: https://picarto.tv/GoRepeat
Other Stuff: Click Here
GoRepeat

Return to Tutorials