AS3 - Tutorials & Stuff

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

AS3 - Tutorials & Stuff

Postby JL95 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi all.

It's been over two years now since I was last active here. (Back then the site refused to let me stay logged in for more than two pages)

I see plenty of great work going on, as always, with some using AS2 and others trying their hands at AS3.

Honestly, I would like to think of AS2 being a little more designer friendly, but I'm sure that many programmers will agree with me that it's a lot more bad than good.

At the same time, AS3 brings it closer to Java or C#, making it significantly harder for the average joe to pick up.
(There have been some pretty lousy reasons given for using AS3 over AS2 as seen in some of the comments around, though it's really a design issue.)

There are plenty of tutorial sites around. But I figure since I'm "back" for now, might as well put up some stuff of my own to help those with absolutely zero base at AS3.

TL;DR: Gonna post small mini tutorials in this thread and answer questions when asked.

Links:
Nothing for now. I will have something really simple about animated buttons up within the next two days.
It will cover the proper behaviour of buttons, why Movieclip over Button, and why use EventListener over something else (this one will be done later).

Not-mine-but-useful Links:
Tutorial Collaboration for AS2 (Covers lots of ActionScript 2 things)
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/344206

Note:
Some of you might think I'm wasting time. My time to waste, I guess?

It's taking a bit longer than I expected since I realised there is actually lots of things to cover if I want to go in depth.
So I'm cutting out the non-essential parts and will put them into separate tutorials at a later time if explanation is required.
JL95

Re: AS3 - Tutorials & Stuff

Postby Ivan-Aedler » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:58 pm

Hey, I just want to contribute with a finding!
I am a member of LOK since 2011 and I am now coding at AS3.
We know that coding in the first frame of movieclips directly are a pain, because when its added to the stage, we need to check if the ADDED_TO_STAGE listener fired.

Now we may not need to code a lot of listener checks in frame 1.
I've made a new class, please check my LOK forum post about it ;)

I hope I can learn more (and contribute) in AS3 for our projects on LOK.
Ivan-Aedler

Re: AS3 - Tutorials & Stuff

Postby FMPraxis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:19 am

Ivan-Aedler Wrote:I've made a new class, please check my LOK forum post about it ;)

To be honest, it looks to me like what you wrote there would be better off in your MovieClip's base class... but it's been quite a while since I last worked in Flash and much longer since I wrote any code in the timeline, and I don't really have any idea how your code is structured, so I may be way off base here.
FMPraxis

Return to Tutorials