Starting Out

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

Starting Out

Postby QuicksilverArch » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:01 am

Hey all, I've been an unofficial follower of these forums for quite some time, however I feel like it's time to make the transition from player to creator. I have no background in graphic design, programming, or any other computer-based creative talent. That being said I have a desire to learn, and to create quality h-games. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started with any and all aspects of this process?
QuicksilverArch
Newly Registered

Re: Starting Out

Postby Terrantor!!! » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:56 am

Welcome, I too, learned everything I know on this site. Gimme your skype and I'll teach you what I know.
Terrantor!!!

Postby QuicksilverArch » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:10 am

Don't have the ability to Skype at the moment. Is there some other way? Chat services might be the limit of my ability to communicate for awhile.... What programs should I start out with? My favorite game types are typically platformers and rpg's/adventure.
QuicksilverArch
Newly Registered

Postby Matpneumatos » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:48 am

I think you should indicate what kind of games you want to create, since you are posting on this forum i kind of assume you're here for some flash info, but i'm not sure of that, you can also make games using game builders like RPG maker, or games using game engines like Unity or UDK, or even create one from scratch, also since you don't have knowledge on things like programming or graphic design i think the easiest way to create a game is to use a game builder, so there are different ways to make a video game, i could only give you information on using game engines, but those require much more knowledge.
Matpneumatos

Postby Terrantor!!! » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:08 am

Mat proves an interesting point. Your best option will be to use Game Maker. It's an excellent primer for newbs. The great thing about it is that it's all in one system for content creation and you can produce some pretty good stuff on it. It includes a library that you can gather and tweak resources, it has a built in language very close to something like actionscript, and it compiles everything for you . As for graphics, I honestly recommend paint.Net because firstly, it's free. Secondly, it's perfect for pixel artists, and game maker works with bitmaps, so they go hand in hand.
Terrantor!!!

Postby Anonymouse » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:21 am

Game Maker tho?

If you are interested in Flash, you can download a trial version and follow a tutorial like this one: http://gamedev.michaeljameswilliams.com ... rial-base/
Anonymouse

Postby Terrantor!!! » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:50 am

Yeah, Game Maker. Flash is great to start with, too. That one also let's you manage your library, create vector work (very low memory consumption), and has a built-in compiler. That one I know some great resources for both creating artwork and beginning programming. There's actually a thread here that's great for beginning w/ flash:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2370
Terrantor!!!

Postby GoRepeat » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:35 pm

I would get the 30 day trial of Flash from Adobe's website and start to learn the basics of AS2. It is VERY newbie friendly compared to most other options and will give you your foot in the door of learning AS3. You really need to decide what kind of game you want to make though, the various tutorials you will want to read as a beginner will obviously vary depending.
Picarto LiveStream: https://picarto.tv/GoRepeat
Other Stuff: Click Here
GoRepeat

Postby BlueLight » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:54 pm

May i suggest doing some simple for the hell of it. For instance a dress up game?
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Terrantor!!! » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:22 pm

BlueLight Wrote:May i suggest doing some simple for the hell of it. For instance a dress up game?

I am for this. ^
Terrantor!!!

Postby Matpneumatos » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:23 am

BlueLight Wrote:May i suggest doing some simple for the hell of it. For instance a dress up game?

Doesn't that require drawing skills? can the author of this topic draw? that wasn't mentioned.
Matpneumatos

Postby inkhryptedQuery » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Matpneumatos Wrote:

Doesn't that require drawing skills? can the author of this topic draw? that wasn't mentioned.

That's always the interesting part of any game. You need assets with code .. You need code with assets.
It seems like OP is willing to try both though. So apart from flash maybe we should get some artists to give references to making art.

I'd even go one easier on the programming level and say to make a calculator.

Really the first thing I would suggest is open up Flash, start an AS2 project, hit frame one on the time line, and write "trace('hello world');"

CTRL+Enter

I'll be reading this to see how this evolves : ]
inkhryptedQuery

Postby Zeus Kabob » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:44 pm

inkhryptedQuery Wrote:I'll be reading this to see how this evolves : ]

Oh dayum! Hear that? The pressure's on! :P
Zeus Kabob

Return to Tutorials