flash help

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

flash help

Postby rebelseal » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:49 pm

i want to learn how to develop games on flash (tried one of the rpg makers didnt like it) game design has been something ive wanted to do since i was 15 would love some tips on getting started
rebelseal

Location: im confused as to what my location please is i believe it is in the Pacific

Re: flash help

Postby Zeus Kabob » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:14 am

Yeah, Flash is a pretty good choice to start designing games. The tips in this forum are good for mid-level learning (mostly animations). Hopefully someone here can help you start out.
Zeus Kabob

Postby Terrantor!!! » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:37 am

You can ask me stuff. I'll do my best to assist you.
Terrantor!!!

Postby BlueLight » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:27 am

rebelseal Wrote:i want to learn how to develop games on flash (tried one of the rpg makers didnt like it) game design has been something ive wanted to do since i was 15 would love some tips on getting started

Constuct your code so you can reuse it. Think of it as a personal product, that way when you create a new game; you already have 20% of the code you need.

If your copying and pasting the same lines of code over and over, you're likely doing something wrong; the solution is to make a function.

Get it to work first, then get it to work well. All other rules have no importance if you can't get the program to even work correctly. (That being said, these rules will likely help the program to work better in general so you should follow them.)

Would you like me to explain any of the above or possibly something else.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby rebelseal » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:11 am

really really really noob question but whats the best program to use?
rebelseal

Location: im confused as to what my location please is i believe it is in the Pacific

Postby Anonymouse » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:21 pm

For making Flash games?
Adobe Flash Professional CS6 or CC - both of these are pretty costly, however you can get a free month trial for each.

I recommend you get a trial and follow an introductory tutorial on Flash such as this one: http://gamedev.michaeljameswilliams.com ... rial-base/
After a month if you still want to continue developing Flash games then you can either torrent acquire Adobe Flash, or move to a code only approach using an IDE such as FlashDevelop.
Anonymouse

Return to Tutorials