Having trouble finding video tutorials for AS3

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

Having trouble finding video tutorials for AS3

Postby FruitSmoothie » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Most the "tutorial" videos that I find are either for AS2, or just tell you to copy and paste some code without explaining/teaching what the code is actually doing. My goal atm is to create an rpg/simulation type game, so I need a bit more than all the copy+paste youtube videos offer with their promises of platformers and shooters in 20 minutes :P

I did create some simple games with AS2 since it was about all I could find video wise, but it seems most of that is useless for AS3.

I learn best with videos so I was trying to find those first but I'll just be reading tutorials for the time being. If anybody knows about a good line of tutorial videos that start from pretty much the basics, could you let me know? Thanks. I have Flash 5.5 btw.
FruitSmoothie

Re: Having trouble finding video tutorials for AS3

Postby TigerBus » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:25 pm

A great way to learn is to find out about some more advanced topics. instead of searching for Game Tutorial try searching for a small item you wish to add. ie learn how to do many different things than use your imagination to put them together.
I suggest starting with a small game, or project that gets you into thinking about how programming works. For me i started in other programming languages making random math generators and started adding visual complexity to it. Later the skill developed as i fiddled around.
as for video tutorials the good thing about programming is its relatively the same, if you find a tutorial creating what you want (even in another language) you can easily translate it over to another one. An Rpg game uses alot of variables and will require you to become creative with how they handle each other, try reading up on 2d arrays cause i assure you they will come in handy.
Tiger Bus Signing Off!
TigerBus

Postby BlueLight » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:43 am

BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby FruitSmoothie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:52 am

BlueLight Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKj1IgWJd-A

Haha, I watched that the other day. I love when people explain things like he does. I wish he made more tutorials like that. His other ones don't focus as much on teaching. Even rewatching it now that I read up a bit about things, I understand more about what he's explaining too.

I made a little pong game and learned a bit from that. Yeah I think it might be better to just learn one thing at a time and try to piece them together. Hopefully in a month or two I'll understand enough for some basic gameplay. Gotta work on my art too.

Thanks guys.
FruitSmoothie

Return to Tutorials