if youre using game maker 8 (and want to let windows8 play)

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

if youre using game maker 8 (and want to let windows8 play)

Postby azurezero » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:18 pm

so, someone bought my Hentai game, but the game crashed on level 6, and it always happened when the boss appears...after eliminating the other options

i found that the crash occurred when the game tried to play 2 identical sounds at the same time (though it might also apply to different sounds if they trigger at the same time)

so simply be sure to make your game with no sounds that could trigger together, in my case, the destroy trigger also had a sound play, and a boss that wipes all enemies when it appears... i reworked the code so instead of destroying the enemies, it turns them into the invisible object that controls the particle effects on death, and the boss makes the sound instead

p.s yay for exploding enemies into flowers http://www.livestream.com/azurezero/video?clipId=pla_9c729bce-29ff-4ef9-b12a-964f453ad468
azurezero

Re: if youre using game maker 8 (and want to let windows8 pl

Postby BlueLight » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Could you please be a little bit more detailed what you mean by this? I'm thinking like a programmer and reading "same time" just makes me wonder what you mean exactly.

lets say i have a 30 second sound clip of something; then i play it.
If i played a sound 1 second after the first i'm assuming we'd run into problems, correct?
If i played a sound 15 seconds after the first would the same thing happen?
If i payed a sound 29 seconds would we still have problems?
I'm assuming if we played it at 30 seconds we'd be fine.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Re: if youre using game maker 8 (and want to let windows8 pl

Postby azurezero » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:21 am

BlueLight Wrote:Could you please be a little bit more detailed what you mean by this? I'm thinking like a programmer and reading "same time" just makes me wonder what you mean exactly.

lets say i have a 30 second sound clip of something; then i play it.
If i played a sound 1 second after the first i'm assuming we'd run into problems, correct?
If i played a sound 15 seconds after the first would the same thing happen?
If i payed a sound 29 seconds would we still have problems?
I'm assuming if we played it at 30 seconds we'd be fine.

i mean in the destroy trigger, the enemies had play sound and code to add to the score (which while invisible dealt with when the boss appears)
the succubus boss, in the create trigger, destroys any remaining enemies, causing their destruction sound of all the destroyed objects to trigger(at the same time) and crash the game, but this is the only crash in the entire game that occurred on windows8...so killing enemies in the same second doesnt seem to have this problem, but the multiple objects tried to start a sound at EXACTLY THE SAME TIME...crashing it...

so no, with any difference in trigger, the 2nd sound would just stop the earlier one and play
azurezero

Return to Tutorials