Making a platformer

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

Making a platformer

Postby DactyllionVinnie » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:33 am

Hey there, names Vinnie. I animate mediocre in Adobe Flash CS4, I have two animations on this site, one worth looking at I think. But I had NO IDEA how to make something like a platformer, i've tried a tutorial or two, but wow I have no idea what I do wrong.. If anyone could send me a good tutorial link or something like that I would really appreciate it. I want to make more animations but eventually I would like to make small games out of it or something like that.
Thanks.
Yours truly,
~ Vinnie
DactyllionVinnie

Re: Making a platformer

Postby OwnerOfSuccuby » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:30 am

There are different type even in platformers - what kind of it do you want to make ? And what language to use AS2/AS3 ?

For example you can take or make your own motion algoritms for it. There are a lot of them just as simple example :

download/file.php?id=6223

You can read this: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2370

If it will be game about Samus you can use Last version of Cortas Character Templates (Samus + a lot of armor and girls in it like main character) and all source files that you can find on forum. There were some good characters for it (enemy). And there were 3 or 4 topics about her so there are a lot of material about it.

And ask if it will be problems - we will always try to answer ;)
OwnerOfSuccuby

Postby DactyllionVinnie » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:35 am

OwnerOfSuccuby Wrote:There are different type even in platformers - what kind of it do you want to make ? And what language to use AS2/AS3 ?

For example you can take or make your own motion algoritms for it. There are a lot of them just as simple example :

download/file.php?id=6223

You can read this: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2370

If it will be game about Samus you can use Last version of Cortas Character Templates (Samus + a lot of armor and girls in it like main character) and all source files that you can find on forum. There were some good characters for it (enemy). And there were 3 or 4 topics about her so there are a lot of material about it.

And ask if it will be problems - we will always try to answer ;)

I guess what i'm looking for is, for starters, just say Samus(if you know my plan is to make Samus popular again) walking into characters and animations starting with buttons, you catch my drift?
DactyllionVinnie

Postby GoRepeat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:51 am

DactyllionVinnie Wrote:I guess what i'm looking for is, for starters, just say Samus(if you know my plan is to make Samus popular again) walking into characters and animations starting with buttons, you catch my drift?

To start with, make two animations for Samus - walking and standing idle. Once you have those you can make another movie clip to contain them which will be your "on stage" Samus. Then you will manipulate the _x (and _y if you want jumping) coordinates of your samus object with the keyboard to simulate walking around. Do you plan on using AS2 or AS3? The coding approach will be different, depending.
Picarto LiveStream: https://picarto.tv/GoRepeat
Other Stuff: Click Here
GoRepeat

Postby DactyllionVinnie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Gorepete Wrote:
DactyllionVinnie Wrote:I guess what i'm looking for is, for starters, just say Samus(if you know my plan is to make Samus popular again) walking into characters and animations starting with buttons, you catch my drift?

To start with, make two animations for Samus - walking and standing idle. Once you have those you can make another movie clip to contain them which will be your "on stage" Samus. Then you will manipulate the _x (and _y if you want jumping) coordinates of your samus object with the keyboard to simulate walking around. Do you plan on using AS2 or AS3? The coding approach will be different, depending.

I will be using AS3.
DactyllionVinnie

Postby OwnerOfSuccuby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:19 pm

May be it will be interesting for you to look some my old platformers source about her on AS3:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2731

And the source: download/file.php?id=10942

(Just a one way how is possible to make walls and bullets work).

Project was abandoned becouse I did not have enough time for it, backgrounds arts / animation / programming - it needs to much work that I understand that I can not do it by my self and decided to stop on it. But may be some parts of it can be interesting to some body.

First i want to make some kind of game like contra on NES platform - but sex and contra - does not combine i think.
OwnerOfSuccuby

Postby DactyllionVinnie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:12 pm

OwnerOfSuccuby Wrote:May be it will be interesting for you to look some my old platformers source about her on AS3:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2731

And the source: download/file.php?id=10942

(Just a one way how is possible to make walls and bullets work).

Project was abandoned becouse I did not have enough time for it, backgrounds arts / animation / programming - it needs to much work that I understand that I can not do it by my self and decided to stop on it. But may be some parts of it can be interesting to some body.

First i want to make some kind of game like contra on NES platform - but sex and contra - does not combine i think.

Hell, if I can get better at game making, i'll continue the project, but I wouldn't get my hopes up lol
DactyllionVinnie

Return to Tutorials