A Quick Question

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

A Quick Question

Postby Kagekaton » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:10 am

For a while now i've been playing around with CS6 and i've been enjoying it (if i can find anywhere to go to school nearby i'm wanting to go into game design/production) but i've been looking at the bone tool to use with characters and i was hoping i could get some insight:

A) Do you all use the bone tool at all?
B) if you do i grabbed Corta's template and i've been playing with it but i can't seem to figure out how to connect everything, to elaborate a little i can get the hip to thigh, thigh to knee, knee to shin for both legs, but when i try to move up and do the shoulders i can't get the tool to connect to anything. Any help would be awesome, thanks in advance

EDIT - Upon playing with everything a little longer i did manage to connect the hip up to my shoulder and take away the rotation so they will sit still and spin around the single point in the shoulder. If anyone has a better way please share :)
-Kage
Kagekaton

Re: A Quick Question

Postby GoRepeat » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:38 am

I use the bone tool in all of my game modeling and animation. Generally, I just do the limbs as separate armatures and don't try to connect EVERYTHING... it usually works out better that way and is easier to set up realistic joint constraints. Generally I will have a body, head, back arm, front arm, back leg, front leg layers with the last 4 being bone tool jointed.
Picarto LiveStream: https://picarto.tv/GoRepeat
Other Stuff: Click Here
GoRepeat

Re: A Quick Question

Postby Kagekaton » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:16 am

That actually makes a lot more sense than trying to get the whole thing connected together, i noticed that when i was just wanting to move an arm or leg i sometimes ended up moving the whole model, and that just kept throwing me off, though after reading a message from corta i think i'm going to use a combination of the bone tool for quick, get it there situations and then move frame by frame for the more intricate things...going to cross my fingers and wrack my brain to try and get everything going, though i must thank you for taking some time to respond.
Kagekaton

Return to Tutorials