Seeking Flash advice

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

Seeking Flash advice

Postby Biles » Wed May 16, 2012 4:47 am

As you know, Mario Is Missing is quite the popular game in this forum and for many of you who have played it, you realize the enormous wardrobe to choose from, right? Anyways, for those of us who have downloaded the flash workfile, you'll notice that each individual outfit parts are put on their own frame per body parts. However recently, I was reverse-engineering one of ToonPimp's hentai flash game where upon I discovered a different method he used for clothing and declothing characters. Instead of on individual frames, he had them stacked up via layers and each of the article of clothing had script which to make them disappear or reappear at will, just as scripts were written for the former I described.

My question to you Flash developers who have decent script experience, would the horizontal method (that is to have clothing on individual frame) be just as efficient or more than if you use a vertical method? (that is put clothing articles on individual layer of a single frame). I'd like to know if it helps to shave off a few bytes or so when optimizing a flash for future development.
Need some basic Flash character animations? Then stop by at:
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Re: Seeking Flash advice

Postby BlueLight » Wed May 16, 2012 5:30 am

So off hand, I expect that flash has some premade ways to make this easy.
You could like just do something like

global.layer1.setvisible(false);

but i am thinking of this as a java programmer.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Biles » Wed May 16, 2012 5:45 am

Well, I'm not really literate on scripts and codes as I'm more of a right-brained artist who learns Flash codes visually, or at least try to learn and understand them in a way that I can easily grasp the idea behind it.
Need some basic Flash character animations? Then stop by at:
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Postby OwnerOfSuccuby » Sat May 19, 2012 12:17 pm

There are million ways to make what you say. But as i understand - for designers as i understand it is more simple to use this one. In my version i use function that make all from root layer. Now i think may be it is better to load animation from external file like / legLeft.jpg / LeftRight.jpg and etc..

Each way have + and -, the way that is used now in LoK2 version as i understand is more simple, but use more resource. But it is not criticall. All works good as i think.

Change it directly is good, but needs more time for animator as i understand. If some part of body dissapear for 1 or more frame - you have to use direct function again, so you have to more coding.

Load parts from external file is good solution, but you will have problems with posting it on site. You have to post not flash but flash + MyFolderWithAnimation, it is not good to some times.

So i think that the way like it is now is good. When you have too customize one character. If it woold be more characters - than i think lags can start.

Sorry for my bad english.
OwnerOfSuccuby

Return to Tutorials