need help on making my first animation.

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

need help on making my first animation.

Postby Crossbow1701 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:59 am

now i don't know shit about cs4 and how it works, the tutorials didn't give me any help ether. I want to know exactly how to make a character from scratch. :?:
Crossbow1701

Re: need help on making my first animation.

Postby Fluffy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:26 pm

just experiment with stuff :P
remember to make each part a layer (like upper leg and lower leg) so you can move them separately
then change frames from the timeline window at top to change the position in each frame so it animates
Fluffy

Postby Kryger » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:28 am

That's what I'm doing. How you learn most stuff.
You are no God to me. This is a Reckoning.
You are nothing to me. This is a Reckoning.
Kryger

Postby nebrose » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Crossbow1701 Wrote:now i don't know shit about cs4 and how it works, the tutorials didn't give me any help ether. I want to know exactly how to make a character from scratch. :?:

tell me about it i have no idea on how this stuff works... i play games i don't make them... yeah that summs up my life as a child
i only give base ideas, ones that can be built off of, not ones with an end in sight. so don't ask me to give further detail on my ideas.
yes my avatar is a prostoss dark archon.
nebrose

Postby Crossbow1701 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:01 am

Fluffy Wrote:just experiment with stuff :P
remember to make each part a layer (like upper leg and lower leg) so you can move them separately
then change frames from the timeline window at top to change the position in each frame so it animates

problem is i don't know how to even make a let in flash, or anything else.
Crossbow1701

Postby Fluffy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:20 am

Crossbow1701 Wrote:

find the thingie on the left that you can use to draw stuff, then draw stuff, then find the arrow thingie and itll let you select stuff, then select the stuff you drawed, then right click, then make it a symbol
each symbol can be like a body part :3
Fluffy

Postby Crossbow1701 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:31 am

Fluffy Wrote:
Crossbow1701 Wrote:

find the thingie on the left that you can use to draw stuff, then draw stuff, then find the arrow thingie and itll let you select stuff, then select the stuff you drawed, then right click, then make it a symbol
each symbol can be like a body part :3

Ok tell me in order which tool you use then how to creat a motion.
Crossbow1701

Postby Fluffy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:15 am

why do you need to know how to animate if you still dont know how to draw things to be animated >.>
and i just got flash like a week ago so if i can find it anybody should be able to, dont be lazy >.<
Fluffy

Postby Kalypso » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:32 am

Crossbow1701 Wrote:Ok tell me in order which tool you use then how to creat a motion.

The easiest way to explain this is to use Flash CS4's Motion Tweening (by comparison to Classic Tweening). This must like Spanglish to you, I'll reiterate.
1. Click on a body part that is on its own layer with the Selection Tool (V)
2. Go up to the first grey rectangle with a dot in it (which is what is called a "Keyframe"), click and hold on the empty white rectangle next to it, and drag out about 25-30 frames. When you've gotten a decent amount, let go, and then press "F5", which will create some more frames for you--they'll be grey like your original keyframe.
3. Right Click (ctrl+click on a Mac) your new keyframe and select "Motion Tween." The keyframe should be blue now.
4. Now, left click on part of your keyframe near the center, and you should select a single frame, highlighted blue. Now go down to the item you chose to animate, and move it to the right about a good inch. You should see a green dotted-line trail following the object you just moved. That green line will tell you where your object is going to go when you go to watch your animation.
5. Now left click on the last frame in your Keyframe (the one with the white rectangle in it) and move your object diagonally, about 2-3 inches.
6. Left click on the first frame in your keyframe.
7. Press "Enter."

Congratulations, you've just made motion. Now if only you knew how to make the whole body move together...
In time you'll learn. You'll need patience, and a lot of it, otherwise you'll become lazy and pissed off every time you animate. Just keep learning, search Google--if you really wanted to learn, you'd consult Google first. Nobody here can hand feed you flash in a week, especially on a forum, Flash takes time, dammit!
I'd suggest using the help files that come with every copy of CS4 (in the "Goodies" folder, even if you've gotten it through less than legal means, should still be there), or searching Google or Youtube for: "free flash animation tutorial videos." You can learn Photoshop and 2-D mediums through text based means, but Flash is time-based/interactive media, and its on a whole different level.
Good luck.
Kalypso (Image)
LoK Global Moderator
Samus Platformer Team Member
Ex-LoK Team Artist
Kalypso

Return to Tutorials