Making a game.

A place for tutorials on how to get the most out of Flash

Making a game.

Postby Boldstriker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:00 am

Hello everyone,

I was thinking about this for a while, I'm a newbie digital """artist""" who enjoy adult games, and I was interested about projecting and setting one by myself. I have already done some concepts and few sketches about locations, factions, historical background, climate and a bit of plotting and lore.

My inspiration for this little "hobby" (because I imagined to do it alone, in spare time) are games like SimBro, Breeding Season and Cloud Meadow, Strumpets, Zum Damenhaus, The Magus Lab and Princess Trainer, which all gave me a good feeling while playing them. In fact, I want to program a brothel manager simulator with trading, turn-based fightings, item crafting, and more vicious wicked naughty things >:) ... considering the amount of games like that on the web shouldn't be an impossible task. Right?

Why am I bothering this forum then? I wanted to ask you if you know a good engine/program (or combination of those) useful to create "simple" game like one of those descripted above, I know that coding/drawing/animating is hard to do alone, it requires a lot of time to make a videogame. I know that there are good instruments that can be used as Unity, Unreal Engine, RPG maker... I just don't know if they are right for the task, I mean to code a 2D game, with combat/sex/dialogue animations as most a walking animation in a selection menu, which has something moving and is not just a flat image with "interaction zones", you know "Shakes & Fidget" ? I would like to create that kind of "visual menu" for most of the locations, with some flags moving, maybe a pair of clouds coming and going away, simple stuff to give a bit of movement and immersion in the virtual world, nothing extraordinary.

And I noticed that Simbro uses .... Sprites? That are used in other games which everyone has a link to this forum. "LoK-like-games" I guess?
Here is a pic of those 2d models you probably know.
https://i.warosu.org/data/ic/img/0030/0 ... 978297.jpg
I was curios about this way to make a flash game because I saw many games with this design and I always thought "Hey, it looks like the other game, it seems made with the same program" and this gave me to think: "Maybe it is easier to put your sprites/backgrounds in this way instead using a software like Unity...", am I right? I'm able to provide by myself digital drawings, but am I able to put them in this flash game? (is it open source?)

[I'm sorry for the lack of proper language to describe this tool, I just don't know what exactly it is.]

So... How can I build a flash game in that way? Which program is required? Which coding language?

Another question (considering the amount of stuff I wrote up here), do you suggest to use this way to operate or maybe is better choose a proper software for beginners?

Thank you all for any answer!
Boldstriker
Newly Registered

Re: Making a game.

Postby DraturaXXX » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:35 pm

I have like no knowledge in Flash, but I highly assume that it is easier to craft games with it.
Nevertheless I can recommend you, if you are going to do any bigger sized projects, to grab a game engine.
They are mostly designed for this, obviously. Unity for example is kinda beginner friendly and has a lot of good tutorials.
The given picture can also be reconstructed in any game engine.

Furthermore Flash is mostly dead.

Since you are new to building your own games I will leave you some tips here:

Tip #1
Don't plan a project that will take you longer than a month

Tip #2
It's gonna take you longer than a month. Don't sweat it!
Surprises come always up. If you come up 3 months, you probably scoped to large.

Tip #3
Don't worry about your design of your first game(s) too much.

Tip #4
Set milestones! Easy to ignore on small projects.

Tip #5
Break down big milestones. Every task that takes longer than a week, should be broken down.

Tip #6
Send yourself producer emails (What you have done/going to do). Compare them from week to week.

Tip #7
Testplay your games once a week. Atleast half an hour.

Tip #8
Dont worry about production values. Gameplay matters first. Polishing is stuff for later.

Tip #9
Dont spend more than an hour trying to do anything yourself. Use ressources (e.g. tutorials)

Tip #10
Make people play your game. You can learn alot from it.
DraturaXXX

Return to Tutorials