Let us play: Rate my game idea

Post and discuss creative ideas

Let us play: Rate my game idea

Postby Silverdragon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:49 am

I have been seeing many posts on game ideas/ not having game ideas which made me think of ideas of my own. I didnt post them because I was too lazy to login and now I am not anymore(yay me). Instead, of posting many of the unformed ideas I am posting a (somewhat) serious setup to a game that I would love to exist, and to be honest that I would love make on my own if my unity csharp coding skills would not stop at moving a block 5 meters down without crashing the program, and if my drawing were not killing me from the inside.
I just would like to have an honest opinion on the idea of the setup (even if you think it is shit) and then if you have one too post it here and I (when I am not lazy enough to login) or someone else from the forumm8s will post a critical commentary of your idea as well as his idea...and so on and so on....
So here we go:
Avangot was a peaceful and a fertile planet. Blooming with a wide variety of sentient species that have coexisted in harmony for twelve generations. With the collaboration of the scientific and magical communities from different continents, magic and technology and the combination between them called magitech advanced to the point where death was encountered only by the one percent that lived in poverty.
The poor were not that way because life was unfair to them, everybody had a choice to live in great conditions in this utopia. They were poor because they were punished; punished for failing to live up to the morals of the world by committing crimes going beyond what the law could forgive, and it forgave a lot of minor things. Stealing and murder were forgiven with minimal penalty if justified; people could be resurrected and things could be restored. Sex related crimes were not forgiven; meaning anything that was recreational sex without the purpose to procreate was crime. Exhibitionism, voyeurism, rape, masochism, sadism, interracial sex, same gender sex… Those were all strictly punished. Death penalty was not something the authorities wanted to do themselves, so instead they put a libido inhibiting collar onto every offender they caught and sent them to the slums where they slowly rotted away and YOU were among them.
And you were to rot too, but the Uprising didn’t let you.
The Uprising began suddenly without a warning. Strong mages were hit first. They exploded and sent to oblivion everything in a Radan from them taking half of the population of the whole planet with them. Next Avangot itself attacked. It emitted gaz that went through anything slowly killing off anyone that lived. Small time mages survived but their magic was only a shimmer of their former glory, but this shimmer was enough. Not seeing another way, by sacrificing their lives, they raised a gigantic structure in the middle of the biggest ocean of the planet and teleported the people they could into it and YOU got lucky. The purpose of the structure was to suck resources out of Avangot and refine them to allow the species, out of the range of the gaz, to survive and so you did… but the collar was no longer working.
At this point the game actually would start letting you choose a starting class (voyeurist, exhibitionist , sadist, masochist) with each their own perks. You would try to do something perverted depending on the class but would get caught and teleported to the lowest viable levels of the structure that resemble sewers as well as others that of which many were innocent, because the people wanted to live as in the old days and it was too crowded.
The point of the game would be to collect parts, set traps, upgrade your base, research new tech, chase and enslave people to have sex with them to grow your new found lust magic, to have fun, or to make them help you to go upwards, to grow your evil empire…or all of those things
Gameplay would be like Temple Run type of games when you chase people, explore or collect parts, with the difference that you are the one chasing and it will be set maps, that you would have to explore, set traps and teleport (when you learn how too) yourself all over the map to try cut the runners off and catch them.
You would actually be able to stop to set traps, and collect parts that would spawn randomly.
You would be able to collect scrap (coins replacement) when you have the right tech research done…
Going up would require finding an ascension platform and feed it enough energy to go up a level.
Going up would mean tougher and rare runners to catch.
Silverdragon

Re: Let us play: Rate my game idea

Postby Ungawa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:44 am

I don't do ratings. I feel a lot of people would take them very poorly and not give you advice on how you get better. I do critiques. Feel free to take them as you will but they're neither positive or negative but a way to see an issue through a different lens.

Avangot was a peaceful and a fertile planet. Blooming with a wide variety of sentient species that have coexisted in harmony for twelve generations.

I don't know what you mean by sentient species. It makes me envision that the plants are somewhat humanoid. If so, what are the stories being told in these twelve generations? If this is legend, there should be an overall tale everyone is close to that explains the world. You also put Avangot as a peaceful and fertile planet in the past tense, setting up a shift. If so, what caused it?

With the collaboration of the scientific and magical communities from different continents, magic and technology and the combination between them called magitech advanced to the point where death was encountered only by the one percent that lived in poverty.

You explain continents, but what about nations, states, and their impoverished? If the one percent are the only ones in poverty, how is that tabulated? If it is, who keeps those records? What becomes of this? You can set up a lot of intrigue by pointing out how nobles lie to keep the numbers down in some form or fashion.

The poor were not that way because life was unfair to them, everybody had a choice to live in great conditions in this utopia.

If this is a utopia, by whose hand is it given? A well thought out feudal lord or faction who fights with Inquisitorial fervor against blasphemy or a benevolent king whose dying? What of the tales of the citizens themselves? How do those pan out? People's experiences can lead to different realities even on the same event and the benevolence of one may be cruelty from another.

They were poor because they were punished; punished for failing to live up to the morals of the world by committing crimes going beyond what the law could forgive, and it forgave a lot of minor things.

But who shapes the laws? How is the morality of a continent given? What does the regular citizen have to say in a continent? A lot of world building would be needed to advance to this point...

Sex related crimes were not forgiven; meaning anything that was recreational sex without the purpose to procreate was crime. Exhibitionism, voyeurism, rape, masochism, sadism, interracial sex, same gender sex… Those were all strictly punished. Death penalty was not something the authorities wanted to do themselves, so instead they put a libido inhibiting collar onto every offender they caught and sent them to the slums where they slowly rotted away and YOU were among them.

The grounds for this to be abused and to influence the character is really great and certainly something that could be expanded upon. How this came to be and by whose dictates could be the very reason that such a "free sex" society may be banned without really being banned except in the 1% zone.

The Uprising began suddenly without a warning. Strong mages were hit first. They exploded and sent to oblivion everything in a Radan from them taking half of the population of the whole planet with them. Next Avangot itself attacked. It emitted gaz that went through anything slowly killing off anyone that lived. Small time mages survived but their magic was only a shimmer of their former glory, but this shimmer was enough. Not seeing another way, by sacrificing their lives, they raised a gigantic structure in the middle of the biggest ocean of the planet and teleported the people they could into it and YOU got lucky. The purpose of the structure was to suck resources out of Avangot and refine them to allow the species, out of the range of the gaz, to survive and so you did… but the collar was no longer working.

Not bad, but I would have it explained that the mages left cryptic text about how to make the collars work and yours is off. The mages have clout in the society which allows them to be jailors and their elimination cut off that aspect of society save to smaller mages with more personal magic.

At this point the game actually would start letting you choose a starting class (voyeurist, exhibitionist , sadist, masochist) with each their own perks. You would try to do something perverted depending on the class but would get caught and teleported to the lowest viable levels of the structure that resemble sewers as well as others that of which many were innocent, because the people wanted to live as in the old days and it was too crowded.

Not sure how fetishes are classes, but it depends on what you do with these. I would probably use a d20 style class system but it's your game...

Gameplay would be like Temple Run type of games when you chase people, explore or collect parts, with the difference that you are the one chasing and it will be set maps, that you would have to explore, set traps and teleport (when you learn how too) yourself all over the map to try cut the runners off and catch them.

I'd probably also add in that you decipher mage text to find out what happened as well as figure out what's going on up top which can set up different gameplay depending on the classes picked.

Overall, the ideas aren't bad as an initial premise and seem a bit rough but certainly it can be set up for a plethora of options for players to find a number of variable ways to go through the challenges that someone creates.
Ungawa

Return to Discussion