The UxL curse!

Post and discuss creative ideas

The UxL curse!

Postby cheddaredgrizzly » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:33 pm

Is it me, or does it seem to be that anyone who works on Urban X life or any of it's clones seem to be doomed to fail or leave.

Of course Wootch hasn't updated since February, and is still raking in money. Nergal recently announced he is shutting down (and it worries me that he hasn't published .8 like he said he was going to by now). There was this one guy working on a 3D version, which seems to have been canned, seeing how his last post was also February.

UxL seems to be Cursed!!!

I only notice this because, well anyone who doesn't know, I'm working on a game called Cursed Spawn, which is a prequel to a UxL clone i was making, so it's kind of scary seeing everyone fail so far to get this story published.

Most cases for failure seem to be life getting involved, or Wootch being a douche, but what do you believe might be the cause? Personally I think maybe the game was too big for single developers and needs to be shortened.
Morals don't apply to me. I'm a Bear made of Cheese.
cheddaredgrizzly

Re: The UxL curse!

Postby GoRepeat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:58 am

Here at LoK, we wouldn't know anything about cursed game development. Nope. Nothing at all. No curses here.
Picarto LiveStream: https://picarto.tv/GoRepeat
Other Stuff: Click Here
GoRepeat

Postby cheddaredgrizzly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:24 am

GoRepeat Wrote:Here at LoK, we wouldn't know anything about cursed game development. Nope. Nothing at all. No curses here.

Well now you have struck my curiosity. Shall I ask of the curses ;)
cheddaredgrizzly

Postby K1ngCharm1ng » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:59 am

I totally see what you mean. I've kept up with the site for a good amount of time now and each time UxL looks like it has a chance to rise and shine something happens. You made a good point with suggesting the project being big or simply needing an extra developer. I know that seems to be the issue I am currently having myself.
K1ngCharm1ng
Newly Registered

Postby cheddaredgrizzly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Yeah, somethings that Nergal and Wootch were doing were just simply too big. for my version I have cut out the fishing mini-game, the trading card battle mini game, all of Nessa/Neela's campaign, the neighborhood, a few of the good/corruption choices, and any event that involves a phone. Some people need to realize what is fluff and what is essential...It's nice fluff, but fluff never the less.
cheddaredgrizzly

Postby Ungawa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:11 am

Won't say much, but the game had a LARGE scope when all you really needed was Peio going around and trying to find a harem for himself. First you make that and then you work on the other parts of the story.

But it sure is a curse when people had to bring in the other worldly elements while ignoring the baseline game.
Ungawa

Postby cheddaredgrizzly » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:07 am

Ungawa Wrote:Won't say much, but the game had a LARGE scope when all you really needed was Peio going around and trying to find a harem for himself. First you make that and then you work on the other parts of the story.

But it sure is a curse when people had to bring in the other worldly elements while ignoring the baseline game.

Well I almost feel that the "Other worldly elements" were what made the game stand from the others. How many games do we have that focus on building a harem? More than everyone on the forum's fingers and toes combined. The other world was what gave the player the sense of "I want to see where this goes." Granted, Wootche's was too complicated, and honestly i lost interest in it, and Nergal's was much simpler, but probably still too complicated for the project.

But for the most part, your right. The core game needed to be finished first, and then you could add all the extra stuff.

I think that the game (in a theoretical structure) should have had the other world elements finished first (but obviously much smaller than it is), and then fill in the rest of the harem building stuff.
cheddaredgrizzly

Return to Discussion