[img] Signature Error

Post and discuss creative ideas

[img] Signature Error

Postby WonderGamer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Attempted to add a signature to my profile for the first time since I joined in 2011, seems I can add the quote section to it, but not the image portion of it. When attempting to add the [img] BBCode to my signature (an old secondary signature I uploaded to my personal site for use on these forums & configured my site to allow hotlinking of hotlink-protected files from this one), I would get the following error at the top of the page:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/ucp/ucp_profile.php on line 516: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning
: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4816: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3932)
: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4818: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3932)
: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4819: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3932)
: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4820: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3932)

I know that image signatures are possible, I've seen them before, so not sure if this error is effecting everybody or if it just needs to be uploaded to the site itself (I expect I'm probably going to have to resize the image regardless, the height might be a bit on the large side, however I can't determine that until I can see where the row cutoff is in pixels; it might be helpful if I knew what the standards for image signatures were on these forums), this error shows that there's a problem preventing it.

Side thought:
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Although there may be little point in adding a signature at this point, seeing as I received a warning in response to retaliation to some taunting by 2 users that had me placing both of them on my Foe list before I even got issued the warning (first two people in nearly 6 years). Reading my first response in that thread however, seems the fault actually was on my side because I didn't make it clear that I was simply cautioning the OP of what could happen if it turned into a matter copyright infringement (images used from paid Japanese games) should the company that originally owned them make that decision & it seems my initial post in that thread was taken as an accusation rather than what it really was...
"It just keeps getting better"
"Live on, play hard. WonderGamer out!"

WonderGamer

Re: [img] Signature Error

Postby Zeus Kabob » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:22 am

The problem you're reporting is caused by your signature being too long. Since urls tend to be very long, I'd recommend using a site that has shorter image urls. The signature has a 255 character limit, so it should be easy enough to get below that limit.
Zeus Kabob

Postby WonderGamer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Zeus Kabob Wrote:The problem you're reporting is caused by your signature being too long. Since urls tend to be very long, I'd recommend using a site that has shorter image urls. The signature has a 255 character limit, so it should be easy enough to get below that limit.

I checked it using the Microsoft Word Word Count tool prior to starting this thread, the full signature was 131 characters with spaces (not including hard returns), the limit stated 255. Even with just the image as the signature, I would still get the same error. I don't think the issue is a character limit, it only happened when I was using the [img] BBCode... :?

Original attempt:
Code: Select All Code
"It just keeps getting better..."
"Live on, play hard.  WonderGamer out!"

[img]http://www.wondergamer.net/sigs/WonderGamer2.jpg[/img]

Signature error.jpg
Signature error.jpg (33.41 KiB) Viewed 827 times

EDIT: It might be possible the height of the image was too large, however I have no proof of that. It might also be possible that the IP address of this site is on the IP ban list (by IP-range of those who have attempted to hack my site), meaning these forums may not be able to pull the image to determine size, but that shouldn't be a problem for those that are still able to see it (that aren't IP-banned from the site). It might also be possible that these forums are rejecting the host due to being unknown as an image hosting site (which technically it isn't, but I've hosted stuff there & linked them over to other sites in the past, although I have to adjust my hotlink restrictions to allow it to work).
Last edited by WonderGamer on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WonderGamer

Postby Zeus Kabob » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:12 pm

I wish we had a more transparent error message when signatures have problems. As you presumed, the height of the image is probably too much for our signature system. Please try scaling the image to different sizes to fix the problem.
Zeus Kabob

Postby WonderGamer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:31 pm

That should do it. Used the one on my hard drive with the lowest height (252 pixels), linking it to the original-sized one on my site. I would resize it as needed if I knew what the specifications were, but that I don't know yet. I did notice some people were using spoiler BBCode around their image signatures, that was probably to get around the height limitation.

EDIT: Just realized this was in the wrong forum, I should have put this in the General forum... :oops:

WonderGamer

Return to Discussion