Succubus Nights [Shmup]

Post and discuss creative ideas

Succubus Nights [Shmup]

Postby miragesoftdev » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:02 am

Last edited by miragesoftdev on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miragesoftdev
Newly Registered

Re: Succubus Nights [Shmup]

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Hello, welcome to the world of sex games. I am working on a hentai shmup myself. The game idea sounds fine, more or less what I am doing. As an art student, there are various little nitpicks I have with the way you draw, but it looks like just an idea sketch anyways, and you're above average for hentai games already.

I am curious about your plans. When you say shmup, what sort of games are you thinking of? Modern bullet-hells? Flash-era upgrade fests? Older games like Raiden or Donpachi? Or really old games like Galaxian and Space Invaders? Will there be any special game mechanic? What platform are you building for? Flash? Game Maker? Unity?
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby RodneyPP » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:13 pm

hello and welcome! I think than a shmup wastes a lot the H potential. Maybe having short sprit based H animations for some enemies would help to make the H part more fluid. The bosses scenes can combine both animations and CGs. When you say that Kael can be corrupted or not, is there Hentai in the non-corrupted way?
im also asking what plataform do you want to use.
RodneyPP

Postby miragesoftdev » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:45 pm

AcetheSuperVillain Wrote:Hello, welcome to the world of sex games. I am working on a hentai shmup myself. The game idea sounds fine, more or less what I am doing. As an art student, there are various little nitpicks I have with the way you draw, but it looks like just an idea sketch anyways, and you're above average for hentai games already.

I am curious about your plans. When you say shmup, what sort of games are you thinking of? Modern bullet-hells? Flash-era upgrade fests? Older games like Raiden or Donpachi? Or really old games like Galaxian and Space Invaders? Will there be any special game mechanic? What platform are you building for? Flash? Game Maker? Unity?

Hello, thanks for the reply. I understand that my art isn't perfect, I'm aware of that haha.
As for the gameplay I suppose Touhou would be the closest comparison, but there will be upgrades you can pick up for different bullet types during the game.
For special mechanics I haven't fully decided on that, as I've just began working on this recently the design isn't completely decided.
The platform will be initially for PC, I am using a custom engine.

RodneyPP Wrote:hello and welcome! I think than a shmup wastes a lot the H potential. Maybe having short sprit based H animations for some enemies would help to make the H part more fluid. The bosses scenes can combine both animations and CGs. When you say that Kael can be corrupted or not, is there Hentai in the non-corrupted way?
im also asking what plataform do you want to use.

Hello, I understand that there could be more done with the H but this is my first H game and I'm starting out simple so most of the H will be CGs, animations are a future goal I hope to be able to reach since they will require more time so this will depend on the success of my Patreon.
As far as the corruption goes, when you defeat a boss you can choose to view H scenes or not (I assume most people will ;) ) and the more scenes you view, his skin will start changing colors. Because you can choose to view the H scenes or not, there will be different endings.
As stated above the initial platform is PC, Mac and Linux ports might be possible depending on the success of the game.

I have already began working on the gameplay, keep in mind this project is not even a week old so the art is placeholder and the gameplay is not final:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZiX6SrT4UA
miragesoftdev
Newly Registered

Postby x3Darkie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:59 pm

AcetheSuperVillain Wrote:As an art student, there are various little nitpicks I have with the way you draw, but it looks like just an idea sketch anyways, and you're above average for hentai games already.

Probably just me, but I like the way his art is drawn. But that's probably just because I also draw in an anime/manga style.

EDIT: But just for information/study purposes, what are the things don't you like about them?
Last edited by x3Darkie on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captivity - A Hentai JRPG now being ported to Unity / Captivity PreFoundation - A direct tie-in side story manga
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6124 / viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7013
x3Darkie

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:47 pm

First of all, ain't nothin wrong with "anime"
succubishmup.png
succubishmup.png (70.54 KiB) Viewed 948 times

There's definitely a difference between a lot of modern anime and the stuff I grew up with, and I really don't care for the new stuff. Everything looks super babyish to me. Sure anime and cartoons in general are supposed to look neotonic, but modern anime just looks like little babies bloated into quasi-adult shapes. And there's a lot of stuff that looks like K-On, which is just creepy levels of loli-con.

I see a lot of artists doing these things that bother me, so please don't take it personally, I think it's just human nature to do it until someone points it out.

It lacks energy, emotion. Lines should be more than lines, they should have character. Lines should stretch and squirm, tilt and twist. Think about text fonts I guess, an angry font, a sad font, a rigid font, a curvy font. Think about applying a font to your lines and using the right lines at the right time. This all can apply to brush strokes too, when you're coloring. The "camera" can also add emotional quality to your artwork, showing someone from above or below or the sides or behind changes the mood of the picture.

To some extent, there is also lack of "3 dimensionality", a flatness to everything. You kind of look like you're producing "gingerbread men" people who exist from the front, but can't be seen from the sides. Fancy art school would tell me that this is bad bad bad, but it has never stopped me from wanting to fuck Kim Possible. Still, I suspect there is something of an art to deciding what gets flattened and how to flatten things to make it work correctly. If we go back to Kim Possible again as an example, she's usually depicted from a 3/4ish profile instead of straight-on. Seeing people exactly straight on can feel weird, like seeing an architectural diagram of a person.

You could certainly stand to follow your facial formula (+) more closely. Some of the eyes look like they are wandering away.

The blurry fuzzy colors really get on my nerves. REALLY get on my nerrrrrves... Also, the color selection is boring, very bland.

And I mean, not doing these things during sketch work or a quick draw/speed paint is not the end of the world. That's why I would like to see something you consider to be your final quality.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby miragesoftdev » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:32 am

AcetheSuperVillain Wrote:First of all, ain't nothin wrong with "anime"
There's definitely a difference between a lot of modern anime [..]

(Didn't quote your entire post cause it was fairly long)

Thanks for the feedback, I do agree with some of your points and know I make mistakes. In particular I know things looked off in that image.
My finished work isn't that much better other than slightly cleaner lines, I'm still learning and working on my art and know I have a lot to improve on but for now I'm just working with what I can do. Most of things you pointed out are things that will take a while to improve but like I said, I am still learning.
miragesoftdev
Newly Registered

Postby x3Darkie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:03 am

I'm not taking it personally, so you don't have to worry about that. Art is subjective after all. The only reason I asked for what you thought was bad about it is because I share the anime style and it's something I could relate to, so I'm probing for more information to study. I don't have any formal art education, I'm self taught and I often find the best way for me to learn is through constructive criticism and generally just people breaking down my work and others' that share a similar style.

I agree on what you said about line work and it's something I'm personally actively trying to improve on. One of the best line work I've seen in recent memory is Bungo Stray Dogs. Even though the boldness at times doesn't necessarily reflects the shape or "thickness" of something, they are almost always placed in all the right places that makes it aesthetically pleasing to look at (at least for me).

As for the the others, I'd argue it's just aesthetic choices. A lot of anime/manga artwork I see tend to share the similar features (or issues) you mentioned like the lack of 3 dimensionality, fuzzy colors, color pallet and the wandering eyes. Though in the last case I suspect the artist just spaces his eyes really apart.

I've never watched K-On. One of the things that turned me off from that anime is the artstyle. Now, yes, anime and manga generally have this simplified look to everything, but K-On's just looked lazy to me. And I agree a lot of modern anime look like K-On. As mentioned, anime tend to share this simplified look to everything with some exceptions and variations here and there, but I blame A-1 Pictures for setting this trend. They made so many animes in the same style, nowadays everyone is just following the trend (for which I'm also a culprit of, but I like it, so eh). (And for those who don't know who A-1 Pictures is, among many other animes, they are the guys that brought us the shitshow that is SAO. To give them credit where it's due though, the background artworks are fucking amazing. They're not masterpieces, but they looked beautiful enough that I could stare at them all day.)

But yeah, I would also like to see some final artwork. The ones you have right now looked too "unclean" to be final, so I'm also assuming they're not the final product.
Last edited by x3Darkie on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captivity - A Hentai JRPG now being ported to Unity / Captivity PreFoundation - A direct tie-in side story manga
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6124 / viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7013
x3Darkie

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:59 am

Well, again, there's anime and then there's modern anime. For linework, I would suggest studying any anime, or cartoon for that matter, from back before cartoons were made digitally. It's crazy obvious if you compare something like Animaniacs to something like Dexter's Lab, but there are some definite differences in linework between generic 80s style anime and generic 00s style anime. Also, manga versions tend to have better linework than anime versions.
AcetheSuperVillain

Return to Discussion