Breeding Season Revival

Post and discuss creative ideas

Breeding Season Revival

Postby evildumdum » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:20 am

As most of you will probably know, the highly popular game Breeding Season has finally capitulated and died. This is almost entirely due to H-bombs ineptitude and S-purple's conceit. I do not want to see this game die and so i am setting up this thread with the purpose of gathering a team of people to revive the game in some format. There are many things about the original that were simply bad. Not in the least the fact it was Flash. (This might be in the Flash forum for now, but depending on how development takes us it might need to be moved).

I believe that with a new team, with no relations to the old guard, take charge then we can make this game rise from it's lazy bone idle ashes.

EDIT:
The demo of this game is now live and can be found here

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7304

Any offers of help will be kept in mind for the future should extra hands be needed.
Last edited by evildumdum on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
"If at first you don't succeed, try hitting it with a shoe."

Coder for Code Bunny Studio's working AOB: Monster Rising
evildumdum

Re: Breeding Season Revival

Postby shames90210 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:42 am

My first H-game experience was the early stages of breeding season a while ago (probably close to 2 years ago) so the game carries a large amount of significance to me. I'd be willing to head a team to try and get a revival project together and continuing to progress to some semblance of completion however my expertise is mainly in artwork, ideas and management when it comes to programming I'm as clueless as a newborn cat girl who doesn't know shes just meant for breeding.

Having stated my willingness to start a team I'm hesitant because as much as I can run a team I have no idea how I'd go about starting this without starting with a gutted project or going back to a very basic version of the game. I foresee my attempt going one of three ways.

1. I attempt to run a team only to lack a team to run.

2. I get a team off the ground but with no ability to accommodate a full time staff to start I run into the issue with team members leaving.

3. I manage to get a team together and the Breeding season community is willing to back a rag tag team in hopes of keeping the game going.

Yeah outcome three is maybe a little to hopeful but I am willing to try. I won't promise anything but I'll start laying ground work and see where I get and keep you updated.
shames90210

Postby Cobalt » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:52 pm

I created a thread regarding a project that may be suitable for your ideas (extensible breeding game concept): https://legendofkrystal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6878

Maybe it suits your requirements. If not, please tell me what does not fit. I welcome any contribution.
Cobalt

Postby evildumdum » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:01 pm

I've left a reply on your thread. It has some good idea's, but i think you have been a little too rigid and premature when setting out the framework. A capable team needs to be formed before you can even consider what type of game it will be. You may find that thier abilities do not fit into the vision you have set out.

evildumdum

Postby ValturNaa » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:17 pm

Watching here ;) I like what both you and cobalt have suggested (and I think, if you work together, you can iron out the best possible plan for reviving BS). His extensible framework can only be a good thing in the long run, but you also have good ideas so I plan to wait and see where these two discussions go before offering whatever contributions I can handle.
I'm not mad. I'm only forty and eighty percent crazy, and that's split between two personalities, which makes me almost half sane.
ValturNaa

Postby evildumdum » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:45 pm

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer in terms of reviving this game as long as the team is competent. As far as i see it is an issue of practicality. I will try to be impartial as possible when laying out what i am seeing in my own and cobalts visions for the game so do let me know if i misrepresent anything.

Cobalt:

Wants to create a core engine, with editors allowing anyone to create content for the game as a priority. The core team will then direct and assimilate community made content into the game.

Pro's:
Potentially huge amount of content created for the game.
High community participation.
Lessend pressure on the core team to create content themselves after the initial launch of the editors, increased pressure on those communicating with the community to create content good enough to be used in game.

Con's:
In my experience a high risk of a patchwork of different content that doesn't quite fit, and unfinished work from creators that never quite finished.
Games that use this format have erratic progress rates and a high risk of stagnation after the initial interest in creating new content wanes.
Creating the initial editors would take a lot of initial input.

Myself:
Want to assemble a core team that wants to revive the game, but with nothing set in concrete until a suitable team has looked at their skill set, desires and commitment to the project.

Pro's:
Initially far more flexible in the design, though once agreed upon would be less flexible compared to cobalts.
Progress more consistent in quality, output rate and design. Less risk of stagnation.

Con's:
Requires high levels of commitment from core team as all content would come from them.
Less scope for direct community contribution, though no reason community members can't ask to help and be given non-urgent work.

evildumdum

Postby ValturNaa » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:51 pm

Okay, going to amend myself here. A framework that can be extended beyond the basic game is good. Being entirely dependent upon the community for content creation is very bad. I want to see a playable game come out of this, even with only the required content, and then see the game become almost infinitely extensible due to community editing. That will give the game a wider audience and far greater longevity.
I'm not mad. I'm only forty and eighty percent crazy, and that's split between two personalities, which makes me almost half sane.
ValturNaa

Postby evildumdum » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:57 pm

In that case i should stress that i don't think he is going to be entirely reliant on the community, just as mine may at some point have an editor to allow community creation. This was more a summary of our starting priorities.

evildumdum

Postby shames90210 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:27 pm

I'd like to put my foot forward here and suggest possibly starting with a plan of action. I really want to revive breeding season and I think a good way to start that is by seeing what as of right now can be salvaged. Which from what I can tell is concept some story and a general round up of game mechanics.

We can sit here all day and debate about who has the better initial vs long term goals but I'd like to throw my hat into the ring of possible team members. As I stated previously I'm able to do most things other then programming. Let me at least try to put myself into consideration by outlining a few things regarding reviving Hbomb's IP.

(I'm going to us we a large amount here and by that I mean people wanting to revive Hbombs IP.)

1. We need to transform the IP into one that's Different BS:Revival works for now but I'm going to refer to this project on this thread as Project:BS. Simple enough but it matters legally for a lot of reasons.

2. We need a concise set of gameplay mechanics and features that we wish to have. Obviously breeding monstergirls and guys, pregnancy and a market system are a must but things like dungeon delving for new monster types and taming could be others. Personally I love the thought of having a monster market and a way to get monsters aside from random travel events.

3. We need to actually see what is salvageable from the IP and surprise the art isn't. style maybe, but the art is definitely a no fly zone. If we want to use the NPCs we'd either need permission from Hbomb or to give credit and state that we don't own the original IP for them and that this is our interpretation. The code is something that is gone as well. So really we have an idea and some gameplay mechanics.

4. We need to actually sit and discuss what people want to do with the project and maybe this should be number one. While the original IP had a nice simBreeder feeling to it, it was also still early in its development. A lot of ideas could be added to make the game more well rounded and appeal to more people.

5. We need to plan things out. Where do we start? Who is needed to make the project more reality then dream? How are we going to go about getting the things we need etc.

I'd like to say that this list is my resume for wanting to be on the team/lead it but the list is a good base regardless. I'll put it out there that for right now I can devote myself to the project pro bono. I'm flexible and for right now try and cover what seems to be lacking right now which seems to be an artist and writer.
shames90210

Postby VintageBass » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:49 pm

shames90210 Wrote:2. We need a concise set of gameplay mechanics and features that we wish to have. Obviously breeding monstergirls and guys, pregnancy and a market system are a must but things like dungeon delving for new monster types and taming could be others. Personally I love the thought of having a monster market and a way to get monsters aside from random travel events.

From the talks, it's going to be more or less focusing on breeding monsters and then combat. I'm not sure about exploration, but that could be a future thing down the line. And yeah, having like a market for monsters buying/selling would be good to have, along with other stalls that offer different things (like my previous suggestion of a restaurant-like place where you can feed monsters to influence stats).

shames90210 Wrote:3. We need to actually see what is salvageable from the IP and surprise the art isn't. style maybe, but the art is definitely a no fly zone. If we want to use the NPCs we'd either need permission from Hbomb or to give credit and state that we don't own the original IP for them and that this is our interpretation. The code is something that is gone as well. So really we have an idea and some gameplay mechanics.

I was actually thinking about that, more about seeing what is in the coding of the game and see if it's possible to translate it into a different engine. Of course one issue we have is which engine to go with as many are getting away from Flash, and we don't have a specific platform at this point. It may end up going to Ren'py if evildumdum is working on the coding, perhaps HTML since Elerneron suggested it or maybe Unity. Once we settle on the engine, then it's a matter of translating the game's mechanics into that... and how much of it goes into it. While it'll be good to have possibly a 100% translation, some things won't work in different engine and it'll probably be better to get something new in the process to not be called "rip-off..." despite our intentions here.

shames90210 Wrote:5. We need to plan things out. Where do we start? Who is needed to make the project more reality then dream? How are we going to go about getting the things we need etc.

Like I said, first off we need an engine. Next, what do we want to create with it? I suggest a very basic system with one monster in place for the time being, something where the player character and the monsters themselves can fuck and have that go on until it comes time to replace the monster. Or basically maxing out the monster's potential and then repeat the process. Basically get a very pre-alpha going to test things and show off what we can do.

shames90210 Wrote:I'd like to say that this list is my resume for wanting to be on the team/lead it but the list is a good base regardless. I'll put it out there that for right now I can devote myself to the project pro bono. I'm flexible and for right now try and cover what seems to be lacking right now which seems to be an artist and writer.

Actually we're missing an artist... sort of. I already expressed interest in being a writer, along with someone else, although he's far more busy with other projects. And while I could possibly do UI work, there needs to be more to the game than simply that, and designs are going to be key. And when I mean "sort of" there was another guy who expressed interest but his work load is slow at best. It's not going to be easy if we're going to be working around the clock and he can't keep up.

Also, since you have the Newly Registered tag, I suggest getting some extra posts in so that it'll make things easier for us to communicate down the line. I'll help get those approved, and check out the other threads to get your posts in. It shouldn't take too long on that.
"Just because you can put your dick in it, it doesn't mean you can fuck it"
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby shames90210 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:17 pm

Like I said I'm flexible ;) I've actually been a lurker on the site a while I just seldom make posts. BUT! I felt this warranted me becoming more active. Mainly because I consider BS part of my "Adult Gaming Childhood" by that I mean it really set me down the path of considering being an H artist.

I think far before engine is concerned game direction needs to be discussed given that each engine is better for things then others. Like without it sounding like pokemon I think it'd be nice to add more ways to get monsterpeople? (no idea what to call em atm) other then just a market. A good way to do that is to explore and encounter them, maybe ark style were you have to knock'em out and take care of em that way or like having to break them in?

I understand the need for a better means of communication especially since other then whats posted I have no idea whats going on. I'll get to posting my praise for other projects for the time being until I can better communicate however as that seems like the first step for me to actually do anything.
shames90210

Postby ValturNaa » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:18 pm

One thing that dumdum keeps pointing out, and I think it's an excellent point, is that before creating a game design, you really need to assemble a team and assess its abilities/available time. It's one thing to come up with an ambitious, professional-grade gameplan, but it's another to assemble a team powerful enough to execute it. As far as having writers, I'm willing to contribute (but may be unavailable or less productive at various times for various reasons), and VintageBass has also offered writing.

As for reusing BS content, for safety's sake and to keep the original BS bullshit from contaminating the project, I think it would be better to build it from the ground up. Style is not something that can be copied; style will depend utterly on the synergy of the artists. As the team works together and lays the basic groundwork, style will come together. I've seen this happen in Pokemon Pink since starting on that project. The lore of the original BS was minimal at best, and would not be difficult to replace. As far as story, there pretty much wasn't one. I could write a lore AND a story that matches BS in a couple of hours, at most. So lets not bog down the project by trying to create a clone of BS. Lets give it new life, as a new game, once a team has been assembled and settled on a game plan.
ValturNaa

Postby shames90210 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:05 am

I'll correct myself in saying art direction over art style as I know there is a huge difference. I'm pretty free at the moment not having any commission work and what few personal projects I have are stalled but I think it'd be better if we could all discuss things via a different means of communication like an active chat. If the team right now is everyone who has shown active enough interest to post the want to help then that leaves us with 1-2 coders 3-4 people who can write* and an artist. (*-that is including people who have stated being able to do multiple things in multiple categories) That team has a better chance of doing something more heavily text/story related.

Which brings me to my next question who all actually wishes to be on said team? I'm all in. That leave VintageBass and his people, evildumdum, cobalt and ValturNaa to weigh in. I know people have said they are willing to help but I'd like a more accurate count of the teams current populous and strengths.

As for all the drama with the original BS and everything that comes with it... Honestly I think that you are right in that we should start fresh with the idea of breeding season rather then trying to copy it and when I said salvage I more meant concepts and the like people wanted to keep rather then stuff to take directly from the game. Lore and story can come once other things are ironed out but a major concern is in fact the team you're right.
shames90210

Postby VintageBass » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:59 am

shames90210 Wrote:That leave VintageBass and his people

I'm just by myself here, I have no one else on my end at all. So this is pretty much me for the most part, depending on how much time Valta has free from his other games.
"Just because you can put your dick in it, it doesn't mean you can fuck it"
- Nash Bozard
VintageBass

Postby shames90210 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:54 am

VintageBass Wrote: I'm just by myself here, I have no one else on my end at all. So this is pretty much me for the most part, depending on how much time Valta has free from his other games.
I apologize for the mistake.

Yay two people so far confirmed :P
A dragon's roar with a gentleman's heart.
shames90210

Postby evildumdum » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:34 am

shames90210 Wrote:
Which brings me to my next question who all actually wishes to be on said team? I'm all in. That leave VintageBass and his people, evildumdum, cobalt and ValturNaa to weigh in. I know people have said they are willing to help but I'd like a more accurate count of the teams current populous and strengths.

My position right now is that i have two people that have offered concrete support for any revival i assemble.

VulturNaa has offered to write as well as help manage communication between team members and between the team and the community.
Jumbo has offered to do art. His work is gorgeous, but he will need someone else on his team in order to keep up with the quantity of art we need.

As for Cobalt, i worry he is a bit of a loose cannon. He is making grand statements and promises before he even has a team capable of implementing them. I fear this concept of a breeding game will not survive a second imploding failure.

evildumdum

Postby ANooB » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:44 am

Sup, i'm in a pretty heavy project right now. But I can guide u codewise. Give you scripts here for stuff you're trying to accomplish and all. Cause i would like to see this project revive. I can't believe pipebomb cancelled it. So any work on it would make me one happy fapper.
Spruce your games up using free vector content: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=7109

There're no such things as mistakes, just happy little accidents. ~Bob Ross
ANooB

Postby shames90210 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:21 pm

evildumdum Wrote:My position right now is that i have two people that have offered concrete support for any revival i assemble.

VulturNaa has offered to write as well as help manage communication between team members and between the team and the community.
Jumbo has offered to do art. His work is gorgeous, but he will need someone else on his team in order to keep up with the quantity of art we need.

As for Cobalt, i worry he is a bit of a loose cannon. He is making grand statements and promises before he even has a team capable of implementing them. I fear this concept of a breeding game will not survive a second imploding failure.

I may just be miss reading statements or things having not be clear. The concrete support being Me and Vintage or VulturNaa and Jumbo? Like I'm sensing serious divides in either information or the people wishing to revive the project. I can only attest to what I've seen which includes me throwing myself at the project as an artist for free* along with offering to fill in elsewhere sans coding since that's unexplored territory for me. I think clearing up communication issues is a must at this point and to do that I've created a discord channel for people looking to be on the team as well as the current team members which I'll pm a link to everyone who seems to want to help.

A more open means of communication past this thread will help in getting a team actually of the ground and I'll be hanging out on it most of the day as I have nothing to really do other then practice my digital art skills since I'm fairly rusty as my new profile pic can attest to (I mean it was ~10 minutes in paint without a drawing tablet...). I'll do some mock ups for a logo/banner to go along with the project and post them later. Till then I'll check the thread and my messages and be in said discord chat.
A dragon's roar with a gentleman's heart.
shames90210

Postby rekafredam » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi, first post here.
Is there copyright on "Breeding Season" by HarpistaBomb/S-purple on characters/title/game_mechanics?
As they where harking in huge loads of money - $42.3k a month according to here - I don't think they are gonna let others take the fruits of their labour.
Last edited by rekafredam on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rekafredam
Newly Registered

Postby Jumbo70 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:27 pm

I could join in on arts. I might not be fastest around buut i get the job done. :)
Jumbo70

Next

Return to Discussion