Dark Impulses Discussion

Post and discuss creative ideas

Re: Dark Impulses Recruitment & Discussion

Postby ValturNaa » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:51 pm

If you're interested in learning mesh animation I'd take a look at Spriter. It's a lot cheaper than Spine (and the free version is actually worth the download), and they have mesh code in the works, even if it isn't currently in place. It may be, by this time. I haven't looked at their site for a few months now.

As far as basic art goes, do you think you could replicate something like this?
Attachments
Koffing F.png
Koffing F.png (68.45 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
I'm not mad. I'm only forty and eighty percent crazy, and that's split between two personalities, which makes me almost half sane.
ValturNaa

Postby Avian07 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:14 am

1 layer of cell shade
Highlights
A few airbrushing here and there
Brush size 1 or 2

Look simple enough :)

So do you want me to do coloring or replicate the art style?
Avian07

Postby Dapper Gent » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:15 am

It's the style we want duplicated, mostly we want the art to reflect the original Pokémon forms. If you look at the battle art I've tried to stay as close to it as possible while giving them anthropology forms.

Though it'seems likely that you'll be helping White with scene art so you can also do something like that as well, if you'd like. You can use the Cosplay Pikachu scenes as reference for what I mean.
Dapper Gent

Postby Avian07 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:41 am

I could. Dont know how accurate you want it to be cause I tend to overcompensate but I think replicating an art style is not gonna be much of a problem.
Avian07

Postby Dapper Gent » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:56 pm

You don't have to copy the pictures, just use them as a reference point for the style. For instance, you can look at the list of Pokemorphs we have, pick one or two morphs and put them in a scene together, doing whatever you want them to.
Dapper Gent

Postby Avian07 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:30 am

Its not gonna be a problem. Ill also have to adjust to White Vines work but I think ill manage. Just ask me what you want when you need me and ill try my best to deliver.
Avian07

Postby Code Bunny Studios » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:53 pm

Out of interest, how many different artists have worked on completing the pokedex by now?
Code Bunny Studios

Postby ValturNaa » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:58 pm

Just two. Dapper does the base poses and White Vine does cleanup (naturalizes shapes, adds/smooths shading, adds a shadow, etc). It's a simple system but it's worked so far.
I'm not mad. I'm only forty and eighty percent crazy, and that's split between two personalities, which makes me almost half sane.
ValturNaa

Postby Code Bunny Studios » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:00 am

that's a huge workload. I'm suprised it's not taken longer.
Code Bunny Studios

Postby Dapper Gent » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:55 am

You'd be surprised. The battle arts aren't that bad. I think my record was around 6 battle arts in about 4 hours. It usually takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to get one done.

The scene arts, on the otherhand, are a completely different story. That is what the current hold up is but we'll soon be having two artists on those as well.
Dapper Gent

Postby Dapper Gent » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:48 pm

I'm happy to announce that Avian07 has officially joined the team as a scene artist. Looking forward to great things with him!
Dapper Gent

Postby Avian07 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:27 am

Yey! Well I just hope people will like my work. Keep supporting the guys ;)
Avian07

Postby AcetheSuperVillain » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi, I remember you guys mentioned that humbird0's RPG engine was causing trouble for you on bigger projects. I was recently researching Stencyl, and I saw a series of tutorials for a top-down RPG with quests:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2nH3b_PO78
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3S6HJVk2zU
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPH0b026CGM
Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtNp3ftCmzM (that was uploaded on Dec 5, so I'm assuming there will be more later)

I haven't really watched this series through yet, but I did one of his other tutorials and I like his style. Stencyl is very reminiscent of Game Maker, so you should be pretty comfortable with it.
AcetheSuperVillain

Postby Dapper Gent » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:36 am

Thanks for the suggestion. We'll look into it.

Here's a brief update.

After this coming chapter release for PokeMorph we'll be taking February off to regroup before coming back to plan out and start work on the next chapter.

Once we reconvene our goal will be to start producing 2-3 chapters per year. We're looking for one more artist and a secondary programmer to help make that happen.

Additionally, we need someone knowledgeable on websites to contact us. We'really trying to put together a small forums for patrons to get involved with the game as well as set up a gallery of completed game art, used and not used, and possibly a 1 time purchase shop. If you know someone who can help please refer them to us.
Dapper Gent

Postby Dapper Gent » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Still looking for some key positions such as a programmer and possibly another artist.

Also still looking for someone who is knowledgeable in building websites. If you know how to do so please send me a PM. You don't have to sign on with the team, just guide me through creating a website using the criteria in the previous post.

Additionally, if anyone knows how to get in contact with the artist known as evilbanana007 (aka derpbanana on e621.net) please contact me!
Dapper Gent

Postby Avian07 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:07 pm

^Whoa! That dude is like a perfect match for this. It'll be kickass if he would get onboard.
Avian07

Postby Random2Action » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:23 pm

http://evilbanana007.tumblr.com/ use the ask me anything button on his tumbler.
Random2Action

Postby Dapper Gent » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:39 pm

Thank you!
Dapper Gent

Postby Dapper Gent » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:31 am

Opening the door for another artist to join the team. Send me a pm!
Dapper Gent

Postby Dapper Gent » Wed May 03, 2017 5:02 am

I'm increase the importance of my previous post tenfold.

As of today Avian07 has officially resigned from due to other commitments keeping him busy. This leaves a deep void in the art team, one we really need filled. So if you're interested please send me a pm.
Dapper Gent

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion