Halp! First Game questions

Post and discuss creative ideas

Halp! First Game questions

Postby LordChaos » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:54 am

If this isn't the right subforum/forum to post this then please tell me.
If the questions have already been answered in some nifty Q&A please link.

I am right now trying to teach myself to make games and thought I'd try using a pre-made (well, not finished but the editor is great) one as a base.
(it's here: legendofkrystal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2027

Right so I have a few queries about it (remember I'm self-taught so I apologize if I ask something that is basically Rule1)

1. What is a Shockwave Flash Object? I get that it's an animation/pic to be placed but How do I Edit/Create 1
What Software do I need?

2. Battle System: I want to make a Battle System based off Pokemon with some added features but I don't know how.
I need to make one as a SWF due to the editor and need these features:
-Automatic HP Regen
-Touch-Points on the Enemy/You to inflict status effects
-7 members of the party that can be on 1x1 or 2x2 fights (2x2 isn't necessary if too complex)
-InBattle Capture of Trainer Pokemon to be used immediately
-Variable Moves. 2nd or 3rd layers of moves that only trigger when certain things are done (a specific move is done, within 1 turn of it's lower-power version, Status Effects are triggered etc.)
-Move-Barring. If Opponent1 uses Come Hither then all Non-Bang-Type Moves are unable to be selected
-Items and features based on Variables from the Base Game (not the SWF Battle)
-Variable Images. Show a different pose depending on the Status Effect/HPTotal

3. Does anyone know any good Instruction manuals/Handbooks/Tutorials on how to program or code games (of any level of detail, from basic linear Forward!Back animation to full-blown Games like Halo or WoW*)
*Something explaining how/why they use different things and which tool is the best for which type of project is also good.

Also, is anyone good at making rough drafts of Pokemorphs (Sexy Humanoid Pokemon) in both Battle!Sprite and Overworld!Sprite?

I plan on making the final draft myself but working on all potentially 100+ Pokemorphs (not counting the Human uniques I'm making catchable (like the Trainers leading up to a GymLeader), and the Human uniques that aren't catchable that you can fight (like a GymLeader)) from concept up seems like a lot of work and any speeding it up will help Greatly!

If I think of any more I'll post them
LordChaos
Newly Registered

Re: Halp! First Game questions

Postby IrrelevantComment » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Not entirely sure what you are asking at the start, but to hazard a guess if you are asking how to make a Flash game, you will need either Adobe Flash or something like Flashdevelop. Flashdevelop is free but has no editor - it is all programming. Flash costs but *cough* a pirate is free *coughs*.

I assume by Shockwave object you are referring to an SWF file? Those can only be played in Flash, you will not be able to edit the code or change the game unless you have the source FLA file, which I doubt Humbird will be willing to give you.
IrrelevantComment

Postby IrrelevantComment » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Also I don't want to seem harsh, but you seem to have a few misconceptions about game programming. No tutorial will ever tell you how to make Halo or WoW. Those games represent years and thousands of dollars worth of work by entire teams of people. If you are really interested in making games then I will refer you to the following tutorial: http://gamedev.michaeljameswilliams.com ... orial-base
IrrelevantComment

Postby GoRepeat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:31 pm

My advice would be to find a copy of Flash (you might be able to get CS4 relatively cheap since it is outdated) and learn ActionScript 2; it isn't the most efficient language, but it is really, really user friendly and easy to pick up. Statements are very straight forward, and it is probably the easiest language to learn outside of VB.
Picarto LiveStream: https://picarto.tv/GoRepeat
Other Stuff: Click Here
GoRepeat

Postby LordChaos » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Sorry, should have been more clear aout the halo/Wow stuff.
I meant 3D and multi-choice games.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go grab the stuff now.
LordChaos
Newly Registered

Return to Discussion