Flash Newb

Post and discuss creative ideas

Flash Newb

Postby KillerCow » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:31 am

Old lurker here.

All the great flashes in this forum made me want to make my own. I looked up some tutorials and managed to make a simple walking animation from scratch. Now I know flash takes forever to animate. :shock:
Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

Walk.swf [ 189.35 KiB | Viewed 4184 times ]

I wonder if anyone knows who he is.

Here's my timeline.
Timeline.jpg
Timeline.jpg (60.68 KiB) Viewed 4184 times

What I want to know is:
Am I animating correctly?
How do you make buttons?
What is actionscript?
Where should I go from here?

Tips/guides/links/comments would be nice
Working on something
KillerCow
Newly Registered

Re: Flash Newb

Postby karicus » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:54 am

Hiya, a noob animation? Thats awesome, the head even bobs n everything. Great attention to detail. Im also a newb so i cant offer much advice. I have found tutorials on this forum are incredibly handy and people are always happy to help, give advice and even offer up code. The thing that confused me, is AS seems to be a lot like russian dolls. I.E, there you'll have an action, within a button, within a movie, within a movie, within a layer, within a frame, keeping track of all that, is pretty confusing. Buttons, for what i know of them seem easy enough. Create a new symbol, as a button, then open the actions of that button and tell it what you want it to do. Anyway, I'm no good at giving advice, I just started myself. Try looking here if you havent already...

http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/flashtutorials

and for buttons: This Thread has just started..

http://legendofkrystal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1415

These helped me out a great deal. Nice walking animation tho.. brilliant. Oh and for the timeline, are you using classic or motion tweens?
karicus

Return to Discussion