New To Flash - Having issues

Post and discuss creative ideas

New To Flash - Having issues

Postby karicus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Hello there, not sure if this board is still active or not, im hoping so as i have recently found the LoK series and im trying to learn flash. I have found some tutorials, followed most of them and downloaded the source code for the LoK games. I understand a fair bit of scripting, im not new to that i just need to get familiar with protocol.

I tried to do the very basic of things, have Krystal's animated walk just walk across the screen by my key inputs, i thought once i got that down, i can add to the rest, however, i looked at the tutorials, most control types seem to be for a sprite and the Krystal walk animation is a movie right? So i tried to reverse engineer the codes for the origonal game and no where in there can i see how to make her move across the screen.

Like i say im new to this, dont expect full detail, im just looking for some pointers really, where i should be looking, where certain code should go etc. Anyway, thanks for your time, i hope to hear from you all soon. :)
karicus

Re: New To Flash - Having issues

Postby Renara » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:30 pm

In LoK v0.2, the character moving code is contained within the actual character instances in every single scene, which is a little bit horrible. Basically you want to go into any scene with krystal, and if you can see her in the scene then select her and now look in your action-script window.

This isn't an especially good way to do it however, so you might want to look here at the summary for handling key-presses, though that will require you to know how to assign your character to a useful variable so you can control it.
Renara (team twitter | newgrounds)
Team Lead Programmer
Lok Team Member
Site Administrator
Renara
Foxy Admin

Re: New To Flash - Having issues

Postby karicus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Ahh thankyou very much. I took a look there and the scripting seems understandable, its very familiar to what i have been handling previously. Its just all new to me, where scripts go and where they could end up :) I think im getting it tho. I worked on it all day today, reverse engineering the code from the download and i have managed to make three scenes, Krystal walks happily from one to the other, put a pre animated movie in, she can even wash herself now *laughs* and tried messing about with variables, so she gets dressed or undressed , messy or not messy by the click of a button.

My next challenge is to learn to make animation movies of my own, id like to not have to use the pre made ones.

Thankyou very much for your reply, it helped me to think about where to look for such scripts, after that, progress really picked up a pace, so tyvm :)
karicus

Return to Discussion