Warhammer 40k: Rediscovery

For free-form roleplay about anything and everything!

Warhammer 40k: Rediscovery

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Took a while to write, but here we are! You have few days before The Just Reward reaches the planet, you may spend them as you like. We may do a timeskip if you want, but I'd like to keep everyone in the same "timeline" while you're aboard.

Karzen Tyse
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Captain Blaque was glad to accept another armsman aboard The Just Reward. You stood out, as most of the crew seems to be veterans from Imperial Guard and Navy, but there are few mercenaries like you. Some of the older veterans, who were with Blaque from the beginning, does seem a little disdainful of those who never served with them, but others were pretty friendly. There wasn't anything exciting (or dangerous) to do during the journey, as the jump through the Warp was smooth and no warpspawn managed to slip through the ship's Gellar field. Some of the more superstitious crewmen whispered that it is a bad sign, as Warp jumps without any problems on the way mean that things will get much worse on the other end, others were just content that the Emperor protects the ship and its crew.

That doesn't mean there was nothing to do, though. Even if you lack proper Navy training, sergeants kept you and other armsmen busy with drills and menial jobs, after all, bored soldiers mean all sort of troubles. Still, not having to worry about pursuers was a nice change of pace, for a time, until you've heard rumor there's an Inquisitor and his retinue aboard. You've actually seen them, a man wearing unmarked power armor accompanied by an old priest and a bunch of Sororitas, but neither of them paid more attention to you than to any other member of the crew. Still, better to be wary.

After few weeks of Warp travel, The Just Reward arrived to the Dolus system. The ship entered realspace near the edge of the system, so it would take a few days before you reach the planet, and your services will be really needed. After all, who knows what sort of sedition and heresy could've risen on a world cut off from the Imperium for centuries, so close to a warp storm? The sergeants seems to think the same, and the drills grew even more intense, and the usual duties aboard the ship were supplemented by preparing the equipment for possible battle.

Sister Rosette

Your first true assigment seems simple enough: protect an Ecclesiarchal missionary visiting a planet cut off from the rest of the Imperium centuries before. You don't know much details, but for some reason, the preparations for departure were very hurried, and instead of a regular Navy ship, you were sent aboard a rogue trader vessel, The Just Reward. Thanks to the hasty nature of your mission, you haven't got a chance to meet your companions before you've boarded the ship, but you've got enough time to get acquainted during the Warp jump.

First, there's the man you are supposed to be protecting, father Grigori Lohr. Elderly priest that, if the rumors from certain other members of his retinue are true, used to spread the Emperor's light with fire and chainsword instead of words in his youth (which, given his looks, was propably about a century ago, or, if the same rumors are to be believed, when the Emperor still walked amongst his subjects). He took over the duties of ship's chaplain during the journey, to the delight of the crew, as his sermons focused less on boring lives of Imperial saints, but more on impassionated tales of battles against the enemies of mankind and victories against traitors, xenos and heretics.

His second in command is sister Maria. Belonging to one of the Orders Hospitaller, she is a middle-aged, heavyset woman, whose duties include taking care of father Grigori's (and the resto of the team's) health, checking the population for mutations once you arrive at Dolus, and keeping the next two members of the group (and you included, if needed) in line. She seems much more serious, strict, and, frankly, boring, than anyone else in your group.

Next two members of your expeditions are twin sisters from Order Dialogous, Nika and Dalia. About your age, they were sent to Dolus to review reports and check for possible divergences from official Imperial faith and law and "other boring stuff". As you got to know them better, you began to suspect someone couldn't stand their presence anymore and sent them to Dolus as a punishment. Neither of them seems to take anything seriously, they are expert rumormongers, some of their jokes seem borderline blasphemous and they like to talk all the time. To make matters more confusing, they are identical twins, the only difference being in their hairstyles... and they occassionaly swap them (or lie about doing so and pretend they are the other) just to mess with people. Sister Maria can barely keep them in line, and though father Grigori scolded them few times, it seems he's more amused than angry about their antics.

Last one is the other bodyguard, brother Reynard. Unlike you, he prefers close combat, and he's surprisingly well equiped with a power axe and a human-sized power armor of his own. He speaks little, and you've never seen him without his armor or even helmet during the weeks-long Warp jump. Twins' rumor is that he's either midget Space Marine, or father Grigori's great (great, great, great, etc....) son. He mostly ignores them, but asked you to train with him during your journey, to get you accustomed to working with each other, to be better prepared for possible ambushes and to avoid getting into each other's way in battle. Sometimes, other members of your group joins the training (though with father Grigori mostly only offering tactical advice), but you think he seems to prefer your company, even if he doesn't talk much about non-job related things.

Despite The Just Reward's age, your journey was smooth and eventless. Finally, you've arrived at the edge of the Dolus system. Just a few days of realspace travel before you reach your destination.

Talia Delore

Captain Blaque has decided to give your abilities a try, even though the loud protests of his former navigator Carinus Salvus. Being a proper member of Navis Nobilite, master Salvus (as he liked to be called) took immediate dislike to you for presuming you could replace him. Unfortunately, captain Blaque decided to keep him around for your first journey, "just to be sure nothing goes wrong", and Salvus did all he could to make the journey as unpleasant as possible. Always looking over your shoulder, criticizing every slightest mistake you've made (and, at least at the start, you've made quite a lot of them, thanks to your inexperience) as if it was about to doom the ship without him to correct it, ideally loudly and in an earshot of the crew, and making sure that the crew avoided "the borderline heretical untrained witch who thinks she can match his decades of experience" even more than they would avoid him (which was quite an achievement, because he certainly wasn't popular with the crew either).

Finding the way through Immaterium was quite an experience. At first, it was very tiring, both physically and mentally, to stare into Warp for so long, your attention strained to notice any possible danger in time, and Salvus' presence wasn't helping. But the closer you've got to Dolus system, the easier it got, and not just because you grew more accustomed to the rigors of the job, it seemed as if the Warp was actually calmer and the resident horrors less frequent and powerful. As if something really wanted you there, and cleared the way for you. When you mentioned the surprising calm near Salvus by mistake, he delivered, in a tone that suggested the stupidest serf on the most backward feudal world should know that, a long lecture explaining that it's not unusual for the Immaterium to be calmer for a time in the wake of a long and powerful warp storm like the one that was blocking the access to Dolus, as the chaotic energies of the sea of souls exhaust themselves in the tempest, and any warp-spawn is either torn apart or flees to save its existence.

Finally, The Just Reward returned back to realspace at the edge of the Dolus system. Your work is done, for now, and you can finally take some rest. It would take few days for the ship to reach its destination. Navigators aren't really supposed to leave their ships when they reach a planet, and captain Blaque either doesn't know you intend to visit the surface, or doesn't care. While the crew still avoids you, the captain seems content with your performance despite Salvus' efforts. You may use the free time before The Just Reward reach the planet however you like.
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Re: Warhammer 40k: Rediscovery

Postby VinGareth » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:13 pm

For the most part, Karzen will be doing the tasks requested of him while attempting to spend as little time as possible within eyesight of the Inquisitor. During his off-time, he'll be keeping his gear in solid condition or talking with the friendlier members. While Karzen isn't the most superstitious, he does find it odd that the travel went so well and is concerned about what is to come. Maybe he's just paranoid, but those thoughts keep on crossing his mind and he can't seem to shake them. Nonetheless, he's glad for the distraction whenever there's a new task for him.

Now that they're nearing the planet, Karzen is going to keep closer tabs on the Inquisitor and his retinue. Not obviously, but he'll make sure he knows where they are most of the time. His paranoia might be getting the best of him, but he doesn't want to be surprised with no way out.
VinGareth

Postby exalted » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:29 am

Rosette gave up trying to muffle the snores of Sister Maria by stuffing her pillow over her ears as lay above the woman in her bunk. Rosette knew she should have risen already, but the cell was chilli and metal grating of the floor the worst on her bare feet.

Groaning, she decided to get it over with and fast as she quickly threw back the covers and slipped off the bunk to the floor below. Her skin beneath the simple white shift hardened instantly from the cold and her feet burned from contact with the floor, causing her hop awkwardly from foot in a strange dance to minimise exposure she struggled to find her habit and pull it over her head. Once done she pulled on her slippers and grabbed her books and her bag before leaving to attend her chores.

She strolled casually to the cargo bay that had been given over to their needs. It was where her armour was stored alongside other relics and equipment needed for the reconsecration of holy sites on the refound planet. It was also where 'Brother' Reynard liked to humiliate her in training.

She had been confused at first when meeting Brother Reynard, the church was forbidden for having 'Men" at arms and it was odd for an enforcer to be guarding a Priest. She had shaken it off at the time, pouting over the far for egregious slight of being commanded by and her having assessment for the Order Militant done by a Hospitaller... it just wasn't fair.

Coming to the cargo bay she began her duties as always by checking her armour and performing the maintenance rituals. The Adepta Sororita did not rely on the thrice cursed Mechanicus to tend their equipment. She looked over the sealed pod and made sure nothing was amiss, only Sister Maria had the code to access the pod, another thing that chafed at Rosette. She knew well enough that weapons were forbidden to unsecured aboard a space craft for fear of a hullbreach, but to have a Hospitaller in charge of the fighting equipment was just... just... Rosette tried to calm herself by conceding it was better than having it under the dirty thumbs of the men in the armoury.

Satisfied with the condition of her equipment, she strolled further in to find the area Brother Reynard had setup for training. Weaving through the ranks and rows of stacked containers she found the area he had had cleared for them.

"Brother Reynard," She bowed her head as she approached, seeing her had beaten her here as usual.

She dropped her books and bag on a stack of crates in one corner and started to pull out the skintight arming suit she wore under her armour when she paused. The surrounding shipping containers had been reshuffled by the crew again and the little alcove she had previously changed in no longer existed.

"Ummm, Brother Reynard?" She asked hesitantly, "Where should I change before training?"
exalted

Postby Phoenixcz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:46 pm

Karzen Tyse

As you enter the hall where you're supposed to meet the sargeant for your today's work assignment, you find few of your fellow armsmen already there, with two of them involved in loud discussion.

"It would make sense, though, tyranids mess with Warp, don't they? The calm could be their work." The other one doesn't look convinced. "Tyranids? I don't know, it's been centuries, the planet would be dead by now." "So what do you think we'll find there?" The second armsman thinks for a while, then takes a sip from the cup he's holding before answering. "Orks. As much as it would suck to find a planet full of greenskins, finding tyranids would be even shittier, and I don't think the Emperor hates us that much. Yet." One man from the crowd comments "Hey, perhaps He loves us and decided to reward us for our good deeds, and we'll find a planet with oceans of booze inhabited by eager beauties!" Few of the men standing or sitting around and listening laugh out loud. The men are nervous as the end of your journey nears, and jokes relieve the tension a little. Noticing you, one of the debaters gestures for you to sit, the other pours a drink... from the smell, some kind of moonshine destilled in secret somewhere aboard the ship into a metal cup made from a tin can cut in half. "Karzen, right? What do you think we'll find in that shithole we're traveling to? Some Emperor-damned xenos, or a bunch of nymhomaniacs?"

Sister Rosette

Reynard returns the bow to greet you. When you mention changing, he looks over the storeroom as if he never noticed the problem... which he propably hasn't, considering that, from what you've seen, he may keep the armor on even in bed (as one of the twins suggested, maybe he's stuck and too shy to ask someone for help). With loud footsteps, he moves towards the door and turn his back to you. "Will this be sufficient for your privacy, sister, or should I leave entirely until you suit up?" You don't have to worry about him sneaking a peek at you, mechanisms of his power armor are much noisier than yours, and you would hear him moving even over the hum omnipresent on the ship. Unless, of course, he's got another means to look behind him.
If it takes me two weeks or more to respond to a RP without prior notice, send me a PM. It's more likely I've missed the last post, forgot or got distracted and need a little reminder rather than deciding to drop the game without warning.
Phoenixcz

Postby exalted » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:32 am

"Thank you Brother Reynard, that will be fine," she bowed her head again as he turned his back, "And it's Novice... I'm not a proper Sister, not yet I mean... I mean I will, I'm on my final gradings... I just need...."

Her voice trailed off as her cheeks flushed red. Hurriedly, she turned her back and started to undo the waist band of her habit, pulling the baggy garment up over head.

The cold air biting into her bare skin once more she hastily tried to peel on the form hugging suit, hopping up and down as she tried to force it up and around her curves. She shuddered briefly as the plumbing connections went into place and did up the seal on the front of suit. Finally she pulled simple shift back over her head in order to maintain some level of modesty for both her and Reynard's sake. Lacing up her slippers she let out a sigh and prepared for self for whatever Reynard had prepared for the day, hoping it wasn't going to be him dropping her on her butt in CQC again.

"I am ready to begin Brother Reynard."
exalted

Postby VinGareth » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:25 am

Karzen chuckles as he joins the group.

"I wouldn't mind a bit if the planet was inhabited by fine wine and finer women. Although, knowing my luck, the women would probably try to tear my throat out or sacrifice me to some demon."

He laughs at his own joke for a moment, but then shifts his posture and takes a more serious tone.

"Honestly? It could be Orks. A long-abandoned planet full of free tech? That's an Orkish paradise--and we've still got no clue what made that storm calm down. Enough of this, have any of you seen the sergeant? I haven't gotten my assignment from him yet."
VinGareth

Postby Gorbaz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:55 am

Removing herself from the presence of the overly-stuffy and stuck-up noble helped Talia's demeanor immeasurably. All through the journey, he had scoffed, berated, and outright insulted her abilities at every opportunity and, now that they had arrived, it was the perfect excuse to put as much distance between herself and Navigator Salvus as possible. He was right, however, about her abilities as a navigator. Sure, she had grown up with the ability to see into Warpspace and, as time went on, accurately make predictions based on what she saw, and she felt that it would be a simple matter to walk the Warp as she walked the material realm, but to do so for so long was exhausting. She did allow herself the slight satisfaction slip into her mind after every snide comment that she could simply stand real close to him and set his robes on fire, but that would not have helped her in the long run.

The crew, thanks to the old navigator, stayed away from her as she moved from the navigator's blister and made her way to her quarters. It wasn't like she had much in the way of belongings, but what she did have was essential to keeping her cover going as a bound psyker, as she would undoubtedly be taking a very quick voidwalk without a pressure suit if anyone knew that they were being guided by a young woman with only her own mental fortitude as a barrier between realities.

The planet they were moving towards was of interest to her, if for no other reason than she felt drawn there, but there were undoubtedly mysteries on the surface that she would want to uncover. The members of the ecclisiarchy onboard might protest as her presence once they make planetfall, but she knew of several people onboard who would prefer that she leave their company as quickly as possible.
One way, or another, I'm going to find you, I'll get you, I'll get you!
Gorbaz

Postby Phoenixcz » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:20 pm

Karzen

"Yeah, he was there earlier, but then one of the Inquisitor's girls showed up and they disappeared together. No idea where to find them. Perhaps we'll get a break today?" That, you know, is unlikely. Even if the sargeant won't show up to asign your work, someone else will. More curious question is, what do one of the Inquisitor's (if he IS an inquisitor, while it's a consistent rumor amongst the crew, it was not confirmed by any higher-ranking officer, and there are other theories) retinue wants with one of the ship's armsmen?

Meanwhile, the mention of "inquisitor's girl" turned the conversation towards discussing the "assets" of Sororitas aboard, and the advantages and dangers of trying to get closer to them. And, of course, the usual soldiery boasting of past accomplishments in that field, thought it's doubtful any of it is true. The conversation gets pretty loud, so most of the men don't notice when the door slide open and the sargeant enters, followed by the Sororita. You remember her from seeing her before, she's one of the twins, not a battle sister, but some kind of administrator, you believe. What does she wants here?

Rosette

Giving you the time you need to change, Reynard waits patiently until you give him the word. Turning back towards you, his helmet hides his expression and the direction of his looks as always. "Very well, novice." Though the helmet changes his voice, you think you've caught a hint of amusement as he says the last word. Reynard is well aware of your status, as this is not the first time you had to mention this, but that doesn't stop him from calling you "sister" every time you're out of sister Maria's earshot.

"I believe today is the last of our meetings. We should get the results of first long-range auspex scans of the planet soon, and we'll start preparing for our mission together with the others. Moreover, today's training will be shorter than usual, just a little warm-up, I have something else planned for us later. I suggest you save your energy for that." After a short pause, he adds "Perhaps you should also wear your armor this time."

Talia

Even though you've successfuly led the ship to Dolus system, your self-imposed task is not finished yet: you still have to convince the captain to let you visit the surface. You're aware Salvus and most of the navigators prefer to stay aboard their ships and rarelly visit the planets they are orbiting, no doubt the captain will expect you'll want to do the same. However, it seems captain Blaque is somewhat fond of you, despite Salvus' criticism of your work, and the fact you're easier on the eyes than the old navigator certainly plays a role. It doesn't seem like it will be hard convincing the captain to let you go.

You still have some time left before you reach the planet, so you can rest, if you want to. Or you can try to use your powers to get some advice for the future: the area reserved for psykers' (navigator and astropath) quarters does have additional wards and protective sigils to keep the influence of the Warp out, so doing so will be harder, but less likely to draw unwanted attention from any daemons or other beings lurking around in the Immaterium. However, you also risk Salvus or one of the two astropaths aboard sensing your attempt. But as you're closer to your goal, perhaps finding out the nature of the power calling you here will be easier....

(if you try to use Augury, the target number is higher thanks to the wards, but you do not risk Perils of the Warp, instead, other psykers aboard will notice what are you doing. As you have few days before you reach Dolus, you can use the power multiple times, if you want, and find the answers for multiple questions.)
Phoenixcz

Postby exalted » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Rosette scrunched up her face and put her hands on her hips, bristling as she realised she had fallen for Reynard's little game again. Huffing, she looked away up at the ceiling of the cargo hold so she didn't have to listen to him.

"You know very well that Sister Maria has the access code to my armour, but if you wish I shall hurry back and ask her," She huffed before mumbling under her breath, "And you make it very clear why there aren't more 'boys-at-arms'."
exalted

Postby Phoenixcz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:34 am

Rosette

Either ignoring or not hearing your verbal barb, Reynard inclines his helmeted head slightly. "That won't be necessary. My apologies, I should've made arrangements with sister Maria yesterday. I'll go to deal with her. It may take a while, you may want to start without me." With that, he turns his back to you and walks towards the door. You may try to stop him before he leaves, or use the time before he returns however you wish.
Phoenixcz

Postby Gorbaz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:40 am

Settling into her quarters, Talia rummaged through here limited possessions. There wasn't a lot that she owned, and even less that she was able to quickly gather to bring onboard the ship. Still, it helped her to have these few keepsakes close as a reminder of where she came from, and her old journal where she was able to scribe down the things she saw in her dreams. Casually, she flicked through the pages, noting how what she saw on one night might have no baring on what came the next, or could be a continuation, or even nothing to do with her at all.

Settling down on her cot, Talia let her mind go free of her mortal shell and drift up until it touched the swirling tides of warpspace. Slowly and carefully, she searched the near future to find the safest place on the world below for a lander to put down. After all, they did not know what was down there, and if they just flew into a port that was covered in heretics, their trip would end very quickly.
Gorbaz

Postby exalted » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Rosette stuck her tongue out at Reynard's back as soon as she felt he was safely far enough away he wouldn't look bad. She giggled lightly as she thought about what punishment Maria might dish out to Man-at-Arms if he was like any of her other charges, the thought of him bent over her lap while Maria waved about a cane amusing her.

Deciding it would be best not to waste any more time she did a few warm up laps around the cargo bay, jogging to warm up her muscles before any real work began before returning to the cleared area to stretch.
exalted

Postby Phoenixcz » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Rosette

It indeed takes a while before Reynard returns, bearing a scroll. He walks up to you and offers you the scroll. "Here's the code. You're allowed access to your equipment for the rest of the journey to the planet, but you shouldn't take your weapons out unless necessary to avoid provoking the captain and the crew." Then he returns to the door, turning his back to you again, the gesture obviously intended to give you your privacy while you put your armor on.

Talia

The wards around your quarters are designed to keep unwanted influence of the Warp out, but they still don't make using your powers in the intended manner any easier. Without a proper focus, divining the future also isn't as precise, and it takes a lot of your energy to finally see something useful.

You see a world, lone in the void, with dark ocean covering most of it, with few landmasses colored in shades of red. The surface is dotted with countless bright spots, like stars or sparks of fire, some tiny and flickering, others larger than cities and steady. Myriad of images begins flashing before your mind's eye, too fast and numerous to keep track. One stands out: an empty plain, blasted, blackened and broken, with a lone fortress standing at its center. Waves of darkness, like tides of the ocean, assail its walls, but there's a bright flame burning inside the fortress, keeping the darkness at bay. But even though the fire keeps the fortress safe from the shadow outside, it feels too bright and too hot, as if one careless move could sear anyone nearby, and set the whole fortress on fire.
Phoenixcz

Postby VinGareth » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:42 am

Karzen happily partakes in the boasting, and he's the first one to notice when the sergeant came in.

"Sir! I... uh... I'm here to receive my assignment!"

The sergeant intimidated him. Karzen would happily go up against an entire orkish looting party without any weapons than get on the sergeant's bad side. The man could stare down a Tyrannid queen and she would be the first one to blink. Karzen didn't even notice the Sororita until the sergeant looked away.
Damn. Please don't recognize me.
Karzen's face revealed none of his inner doubts, as he cocked his head at her quizzically as if to say Why are you interested in the men at arms?
VinGareth

Postby exalted » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 pm

Rosette looked up from where she lay on her back to stretch her legs as Reynard entered. Smoothing down the shift again as she rolled nimbly to her feet she tried to hide her excitement as Reynard handed her the scroll.

Giddy that she was suddenly back in charge of her armour, she walked calmly until she was sure that she was out of Reynard's sight before sprinting to the capsule.

Yammering the correct activation prayer as she punched in the code, she squealed with glee as the case hissed open and the gloss black armour was hers. Cracking the shell of the armour, she hurriedly pulled the shift over her head and climbed in.
exalted

Postby Gorbaz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:57 pm

Well, that was.. enlightening.

Talia let her astral self slip back into her physical form, instantly feeling heaveir and far more limited in her actions than before. It was an unfortunate down-side of astral projection that, while seperate, infinity seems so close it can almost be touched, but once back everything is so much more limiting. Climbing up to her feet using her staff as support, she straigntened herself up and turned to leave. She had a goal now, all that was left was to get herself down there. With a bit of luck, Captain Blaque would at the very least let her quide their lander down and, from there should could slip out and find out just what was making that scorching light.
Gorbaz

Postby Phoenixcz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:36 pm

Karzen

When they finally notice the sargeant, rest of the men hastily scramble to hide the drink before the sargeant notice (too late for that) and to stand into something resembling a proper formation. While the sargeant doesn't say anything, his scowl suggest there will be words about the armsmen's behaviour later, when the visitor isn't here. Loud words. Sure, the men who serve aboard The Just Reward longer than you claim that the sargeant's bark is worse than his bite, but it's hard to believe that when he yells at you about scrubbing toilets with your tootbrush. The young woman, on the other hand, watches the brief panic and chaos with barely concealed smirk, much unlike the stern and serious expression pretty much any Sororita wears all the time.

"Before I get to today's asignments, I'm looking for volunteers. Captain Blaque wants to run some kind of training exercise between few armsmen and the members of Ecclessiarchal team aboard. Who wants in, step forward." Some of the gathered armsmen do, and you hear someone quietly mumbling "I'd help her exercise any time she'd want to" somewhere left of you. Judging by the sargeant's glare aimed in that direction, he heard it too. The sister didn't seem to notice and just handed the sargeant some kind of dataslate.

Rosette

Everything seems to be in order, the armor still fits you as before, and it seems all systems are working fine. When you return to the cleared area, Reynard is already waiting for you, holding two stun batons you've used during melee weapon training before. Though they are nowhere near as dangerous as proper power or chain weapons, being hit and jolted by one is painful experience... at least for you, you doubt Reynard ever felt anything through the power armor he always wore during your previous "duels", even though your baton was set on higher power level than his. It wasn't fair fighting against properly armored opponent, but now the situation turned in your favor: your armor will negate most of his advantages, and lack the weaknesses of his: without helmet, you don't have as limited field of vision as him, and your armor is more advanced and less cumbersome, even if his offers greater strength and somewhat better protection. Now you're protected, almost as strong as him, and still faster and more agile.

Without a word, he throws one of the batons to you, and assumes defensive stance.
Phoenixcz

Postby VinGareth » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:10 am

Not willing to chance fate, Karzen stayed in line. That training exercise would put him right in the vision of the "Inquisitor," and it's risky enough being in the same room with one of his retinue.
Wait, did he say Ecclessiarchal team? Not Inquisition? That... changes the whole game.
Without the threat of an Inquisitor aboard, Karzen feels a weight lift off his shoulders. As long as he stays in line and continues to act to the crew's benefit, Karzen shouldn't need to worry about being identified.
So that's a Sororita. I've never been in the same room as one before. This is quite the first.
Karzen's curiosity overtakes him as his paranoia lowers to more manageable levels, and he steps forward. This is also a good chance to get on the sergeant's good side, and maybe avoid punishment.
Maybe.
VinGareth

Postby exalted » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:03 am

Rosette beamed inwardly as the armour still fit like a glove, she could imagine what Sister Maria would have done and what the other two novices would have said if she had put on weight during the journey and couldn't fit.

Catching the passed baton, she twirled it about several times, swapping hands between swings to make sure none of the fine movement actuators and motors in her wrists and fingers had locked up storage. Taking position opposite Reynard, she prepared herself for the coming contest.

Seeing him drop into a defensive stance she smirked and took a step back, immigrating his stance in kind. She had seen Reynard use that trick several times, he would let her attack, dodge to the side and then stun her in the butt so that she would fall over. Well that was not happening today, not now she also had armour, now he could make the first move and she could stun him in the butt.
exalted

Postby Phoenixcz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Karzen

When ten armsmen volunteer, the sargeant stops the rest. "All right, that's enough. You lot, follow me, rest of you, I'll give you your asignments in a moment. And Emperor protects you if I see any booze again." Judging by the expressions of the scolded men, he won't have to worry about that.

With the volunteers and the sister in tow, the sargeant leads you to one of the small armories strewn across the ship. With not enough room to form a line, the volunteers just gather around him before he starts explaining. "Our passangers made some sort of a deal with the captain to allow them to run a training excercise on the ship, and you're going to play the enemy force. Their goal will be to escort a VIP from their location to one of the shuttles in a forward hangar, your goal will be to stop them." He taps the rune on the dataslate the sister gave him, and though you can't see it clearly from your angle, you notice something that looks like the schematic of the ship with certain areas highlighted. The sargeant continues: "You'll have the advantage of numbers and the knowledge of area, so I hope you've made yourself familiar enough with the ship." He glances in your direction, as you're one of the newest members of the crew. "Their advantages are better equipment and supposedly better training. Any questions before I get to details about the rules?"

Rosette

Reynards waits for a while without motion, no doubt trying to bait you to do something rash. Just when it seems you're going to move or you'll end up standing here until the Emperor rises from his throne, he noisily lunges forward, trying to stab your chest with his baton. You'll have to admit it could've worked if your armor was as clumsy as his and if you've let yourself be less attentive with the wait, as it is, even with his greater reach, you've dodged his attack and swung yours weapon at him. You're reasonably sure you've managed to graze his size before he regained his balance, but the hit wasn't solid enough to count in any case.

After the initial attack, Reynard tries to keep his distance to take advantage of his longer reach, but you've managed to keep close to him and not let him a moment of rest. Temporarily forced on defensive, he still manages to parry or dodge most of your strikes, and even counterattack when he can. Soon, it's clear he's been holding back before... his attacks, while still slow, are commited with much larger strength than when you haven't been protected by armor, and he's no longer overestimating how much would your armor slow you. In fact, when you try to block his overhead attack, he manages to overpower you and push the tip of his baton to touch your breastplate. Luckily, your armor offers a good protection, the shock that would normally send you convulsing on the ground results only in a shower of sparks and tingle across your chest before you manage to step back from him. Like you, he takes a step back, but despite the hit, doesn't say anything to stop the duel.

Talia

Even after your vision ended, you have he nagging feeling that you've drawn the attention of someone or something. But with the wards around the psyker's area, that should be impossible. Perhaps it's just a psychological side effect of using your powers and it will end shortly, at worst it could be one of the other psykers noticing someone using the Warp. Certainly nothing to worry about, right?

Whatever it was, the best place to find the captain would be on the bridge. Making your way out of the psyker's quarters, the heavily armed guards assigned to watch over you and your fellow psykers let you pass. Some time later, less armed guards let you enter the bridge, though they seem much more nervous in your presence. The bridge itself looks busier than usual, filled with crewmen going about their tasks, giving the reports to their superiors or orders to their underlings. You've heard that the Just Reward is uncommon in using more humans... and unaugmented humans... than specialized servitors commonly used in other ships, though you don't really have any experience to compare. The captain is in his command chair, discussing something witn one of the officers.
Phoenixcz

Next

Return to Roleplay