Ironwold Town, 1885

For free-form roleplay about anything and everything!

Re: Ironwold Town, 1885

Postby AnIntimateSecret » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:49 am

daxinator396 - Amber Rictone
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

The stereotype was that a cowboy gravitated to the bar when in town. Certainly there were at least two pubs in sight, but neither of them were particularly attractive to that core instinct, that subtle inner voice that had guided Amber thus far.

The watch house felt much the same way... it wasn't a feeling that was as strong as dislike, just... the buildings felt like a chore, a task that one felt one had to do, but didn't really want to do. Something that one would put off until one really had to do it. Perhaps even a task that someone else should be doing instead.

It was a nearby shop that suddenly drew her attention. It looked much like the other little establishments that lined the main street, a sign... "Wilson's General Goods"... above a glass-fronted display of what were indeed an assortment of common goods. Absolutely nothing to draw her eye, and yet it was like a magnet for her attention.

She could see dimly see the form of a young woman behind the main counter, a shape moving behind the slightly warped glass fronting.

LillyMacow - Natalie Porter and exalted - Rob (Rebecca Warrick) Smith

The uniform got Rebecca a few looks as she entered the gate and purposefully strode towards the watch house. Her attention was briefly caught by a woman in the soft, wide-brimmed hat popular in America, staring at a shop as if transfixed. Finally she was standing outside the blocky building, ignoring and being ignored by the people hurrying past.

Someone had entered a little while before her. She could hear voices inside as she stepped through the door. An woman, dressed in cheap, slightly worn clothes, with a slight edge to her attitude, a wariness that spoke of a toughness that belied her beauty, was looking at a distinctly unpleasant man... corpulent, stained, leering at her as she spoke and then almost glared at Rebecca as she walked in.

The man stared at Natalie and then laughed.
"A reporter is you, Missh?" he snorted, his gaze flickering from her to Rebecca, then he pushed himself a bit more upright as he took in the uniform and Rebecca's hard stare. He clearly was nowhere near bright enough to spot any oddities about Rebecca's appearance, instantly assuming he was looking at a normal soldier.

"Sorry, Missh," he said to Natalie. "Us men needs to speak first, an' then I can help you report on summat, eh?" He chortled, winking rather creepily, then focused on Rebecca.
"G'day Shor. What can I 'elp wit?"

Mark3000 - Jezebel Winter

The woman simply stared at Jezebel for long moments, unmoving, unspeaking. Just as it got too uncomfortable, to the point where she felt like she should say something, the woman abruptly spoke again.
"You need help, girl. Dat much is obvious. What you don't know is what help you need. You t'ink you need food. You t'ink you need money. What you need is undahstandin'. Give me your hand now."

Her dark hand reached out to Jezebel, held out to take the young woman's hand.

Firehead - Dalila Grooth

The woman stared for long moments at Delila, and then she abruptly nodded, smiling sweetly. There was something odd about her mouth, an awkwardness in the way it moved, as if she'd perhaps broken her jaw in the past. There was no mark or malformation... her beauty was perfect, almost unnaturally so... so the subtle oddness when she smiled or spoke was all the more obvious, standing out against the symmetry.

She stood aside, inviting Delila in.
"Of course, please, come in. I'm sorry we weren't expecting you... if word was sent ahead then we didn't receive it. The mail service is... not good here, I'm afraid."
Her accent was cultured, well-rounded, as refined as a governess.
"I'm afraid that Father Wolden is... unavailable at the moment. He's... been ill. He is recovering slowly... perhaps you can visit with him a bit later. I'm sure he'd love to know that the church was worried about him. I'm very glad you've come, actually... there are definitely odd things about the town, and I would love some help in investigating them."
She chattered happily as she led Delila further in, taking a side door that led to what were obviously the priest's quarters. A small room, with a bed and table and chair and a few religious icons on the walls.

"Sister... Delila, was it? I'm Elizabeth. I've been helping Father Wolden through his illness."
She sat down on the bed, waving her hand at the chair.
"Tell me... what do you know about demons?"

CondorBoH - Niles Woodstock

Niles' route into the town was a little different to the others. She'd taken a rather different path down the hill from Rebecca, ending up facing the 'slum' that huddled against the outskirts of the ancient town, and then moved further away from the main gate until she spotted a side gate.

It led into a narrow alleyway that ran straight through to the town's main street. She could see the activity in the distance, and was heading towards it down the narrow alley when someone missed crashing into her by an inch. A young woman had tripped while coming out of a doorway, fell past Niles, and dropped the box she was carrying... which seemed to be full of assorted mechanical components. Several brass gears rolled off along the alley, and a number of long glass objects clinked and rattled alarmingly, although none seemed to be broken.

"Oh, I'm so sorry! I... er..." The woman's voice trailed away as she looked up at Niles, gazing at his face, a blush crossing her cheeks. She swallowed and then climbed to her feet, immediately bending to start gathering up the items, and then stopped as she saw the items he was carrying.
"Oh! Is that a camera? Does it use the new Maddox wet plates? It must have a mechanical shutter, right? How do you set the timing?"
Her focus on the camera was immediate and absolute.
AnIntimateSecret

Postby daxtinator396 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:21 am

Amber pushed through the miserable drizzle and tried her best to ignore it, her eyes scanning and focusing on places and things. She would find a focus and quickly discard it... Not right.. No.. That's not it. Nothing was clicking in her mind that this was where she was supposed to be. It was just a town. It felt off but no clear source.. She would keep looking. Her eyes slid past two pubs. They looked average. Maybe good for a drink and maybe good for a rumor but here there didn't seem much to rumor in the seemingly boring town. She simply noted it for later and kept moving, always scanning for her target.. There. Her eyes locked on a general store. Caught in a trap like a rabbit and unable to move as she stared hard at it. It should be normal. Nothing would say that she should go there but yet.. Her mind and a small tickle there in the back of it said to. She pushed forward through the rain to the door, opening the worn door with the tinkle of a bell hanging above to signal her entrance. She tried not to wince. The breaking of the silence seeming to be deafening to her. She trudged forward though, taking the shelves and just letting her mind lead her around til she reached the counter. She paused a moment to inspect the woman before her.
daxtinator396

Postby exalted » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:52 am

Rebecca paid no heed to the looks she got in the town as she passed, used to people staring at soldiers in their bold uniforms.

She sighed as she entered the Watch House and was confronted with another reporter. Were the blighters breeding or something, she mused to herself as he man promptly dismissed the woman upon noticing her.

Smiling charmingly as she strode up, eager to finally be able to take advantage of the privileges her rank gave her, she tapped the female reporter on the shoulders to turn her away from the counter and slapped her on the ass to shoo her off.

"Man talk, Honey," She winked at the woman before turning her attention to the Constable.

"Thank you... Constable?," She nodded to the man behind the desk, scanning his uniform for a rank or name plate, "I'm looking for a Colonel Warrick, retired, the man was supposed to attend a meeting up at Battalion but never showed. His itinerary had him travelling in the area so I thought I'd check in with you first, professional courtesy and all. I'd be most obliged if you could assist me with my inquiries, got the brass breathing down my neck to find man if you know what I mean. The battalion's just moved down from Scotland before it's deployment and I perchance may have bottle or two of the fine libations brewed up north as a reward for whomever could assist me in finding the former Colonel."
Last edited by exalted on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exalted

Postby Mark3000 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:26 am

The silence was unnerving. Mambo's gaze just seemed to pierce through Jezebel's soul. As she was about to speak, the woman interrupted her. When asked for her hand, Jezebel gave it freely while still thinking on what Mambo said. Understanding? That's all well and good but how am I suppose to feed and house myself with that she thought.
Mark3000

Postby lilbooth » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:38 am

"The cider would be brilliant." Said Breanna with a guarded smile. It did not take very long for her ravenous appetite to urge her hands forth. Beef, bread, and butter, a pleasant country meal. Having tasted the fine cuisines of noble life did detract slightly from her experience, but the nostalgia of her youth did make up for it slightly. She took her time eating breakfast. The beef wasn't getting any colder and the bread would stay crisp for some time. Slowly becoming more awake she studied her surroundings. With the inn currently empty save the innkeeper, Breanna didn't have too much to look at. She did do her best to read the innkeeper and the young women who delivered her food and drink. When the environment began to bore her Breanna quickly polished off the rest of her food and drink and left a few pence on the table. She strode over to the innkeeper, now less guarded a touch more confident, and called out to him. "I'll most likely need the room again tonight, but before then could you perhaps point me towards the mayor, or whichever principle authority lives here?" She asked plainly.
I really like purple.
lilbooth

Postby LillyMacow » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Natalie was far from pleased by this chain of events. Now she was stuck waiting in line behind this self entitled bitch. She might have said something but she was too embarked too, the slap might have been playful but it still agrivated Natalie. She crossed her arms and leaned against one of the decrepit walls, staring at the two, listening in on their conservation. They where talking about something of intrest, might aswell listen in and see if it leads her anywhere, she has got nothing to do until she can talk to the man again anyways.
LillyMacow

Postby Firehead » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:32 am

Dalila quirked her head at the strange way the woman appeared when giving a smile. She was curious but figured it was a private matter, so she didn't pry into it. With a nod, she accepted the invitation gladly stepping out of the drizzle into the dry church. She gave a nod at the mention of the mail. "My assignment was very sudden, and there are a few strange rumours about this place, so they may not even be aware there is a church here. At least, I don't remember being told about it."

She gasped to hear the priest had fallen ill, but it was good to hear he was recovering well. "I'll keep him in my prayers then. Any idea of what he is suffering from? I would love to visit him whenever he is well enough to see me. Are you the one caring for him?" She took a seat wondering a moment why Father Wolden wasn't in his quarters. Where else would they have him recovering? Before she could vocalise these thoughts Elizabeth asked a question that caught Dalila off guard. "Nefarious creatures that tempt man to commit sins and turn away from the holy father. Are you suggesting something not human is at work here?"
Firehead

Postby CondorBoH » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:40 pm

If anything, Ironwold looked like any other urban town. Other than a single old man, it seemed pretty ordinary. Even getting run into by accident by strangers was normal. Niles smiled nervously at the woman who she almost bumped into. Wow, she clearly had an interest. One that they shared.
"Yep, it's a camera alright. I'm a reporter. You seem to be a big fan of them, so I'll tell you a little about mine..."
The reporter bombastically began explaining details about her device, showing off the camera's intricacies to a like-minded individual. It was nice to talk to someone who wasn't a rival and shared this interest. There's going to be no actual description because I know nothing of cameras

Eventually, Niles turned her attention to the stuff still on the ground and began to stoop to pick them up and put them back in the box.
"Name's Niles. Now I made you drop all of this, so I'm going to help you pick it all up."
CondorBoH

Previous

Return to Roleplay