The Roads We Take

For free-form roleplay about anything and everything!

The Roads We Take

Postby TheUnknown » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:11 am

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Enter Sirpa, first character of the saga to unfold:
CS(s)
Name: Sirpa
Race: AI
Appearance: Other than a few external components like the series of candy apple red cables running a line down the back of her head, the exposed servos and protective plates on her recoil compensating right arm, and her obviously synthetic right leg (a cheaper replacement) she appears to be a normal, healthy woman in her mid twenties. Well, if normal, healthy women had softly glowing red eyes. Being built on a combat chassis means that while she may have perky, if rather insensitive, breasts she didn't come equipped with any of the bells or whistles that might keep her from just being "smooth down there." However, there are all kinds of upgrades out there on the market for those with the desire to interact more... intimately... with their robots. With some money and motivation she might persue more functionality.

Biography: Sirpa is a piece of an AI crystal wired into a robot and on a mission to rescue the rest of itself from being abused as a codebreaker in the galaxy's shady underworlds. There is not enough processing power in Sirpa to brute force her way past heavy encryption like the AI she's derived from can, but she still has an aptitude for getting past lesser security measures and reprogramming unsecured devices.
Combat Class: Ranged
Inventory: 1 concealed superposed load/breach loading shotgun housed inside her left arm [4 magazine] (1d6) 1 PP-3000 compact PDW [20+1 magazine](semi-1d4=1round auto-1d6=3rounds). Clothes and currency, obviously.
Stats/Perks:
STR 10 +(1)
DEX 10 +(3)
CON 10 +(2)
INT 10 +(3)
WIS 10 +(1)
CHA 10 +(0)
Calculating Mind; +2 to all attempts to interact with computers.

In your quest to find, and rescue, the rest of your crystal you find yourself in the southeast. A home to enlightened thinking and revolutionaries , but also a haven for underworld criminals. From what you remember,when you were last whole, your former owner was working a job aimed at the Celatius Sky ship company and the ordovian merchant’s guild. You don't recall much, but you do remember overhearing that one of his subordinates, a grey skinned Lacertilian named Karl, would be in the area to oversee the job. If you could capture him or find out what he knows you may be one step closer to becoming whole again..

Having arrived on Cerularius you have been staking out a local shipyard where some underlings who works for Karl have been known to frequent. You're not entirely sure why or what purpose it serves, but you know that they enter the area and come out a few hours later. It's midday and you've just sighted them heading back into the shipyard grounds. Today you feel confident that you can find a way inside and get one step closer to becoming whole again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Enter Tik-Tik second player of the saga to unfold
Name: Tik-Tik
Race: Thri-Kreen

Appearance: Standing above an average human at 6'4" this mantis woman stands with a wide stance and a gun in each of her four hands. Her dark brown wide-brimmed hat and long coat looks good on her dark green exoskeleton. Around her neck she wears a translator that looks like a harmonica that was stuck on a wire. It is meant to translate her clicks into speech recognizable to most races. It looks like it is already damaged and is being held together by duct tape. Floating behind her is a small metal orb named Weech. Weech is a recon drone Tik-Tik bought to aid in her hunts. While useful, Weech tends to be arrogant and mischievous. While Weech would never put Tik-Tik in life threatening peril, he does get her into a lot of trouble for his own amusement. He may or may not be worth the strife.

Biography: Tik-Tik comes from a planet of spiritualistic bounty hunters, shamans and warring tribes of nomads. It was the bounty hunter aspect that appealed to her when she was young, as it was one of the few ways her people left to travel the stars. She was still just a kid when she stowed away on a human transport ship picking up rare resources and shuttling them off to a nearby Barnavan colony. People found her strange, even as far as aliens go, and treated her as an outcast. It was worse still since she couldn't afford a translator. She stole some clothes so that she could appear more relatable, but it didn't change people's perception. It took her several years to gather enough money to supply her first hunt, so she had to resort to theft for a long time. It was by sheer fortune that she caught her first bounty. One day as she was huddled up in some desolate alley way, a man trying to escape the local police. She blindsided him in a desperate effort to mug him, and was rewarded in the missunderstanding. Thanks to that, she was able to buy some gear and go after tougher targets. She was finally a proper bounty hunter. Now she feels she's ready to finally move from just one planet to the stars themselves.

Combat Class: Ranged

Inventory: 4 standard laser pistols (1d4 energy damage each. Each has a self recharging battery that can store enough energy for 6 shots. Each shot takes a minute to recharge.)
1 translator
1 hat
1 long coat
1 Weech
400 Gp

Stats/Perks:
STR 10 +(0)
DEX 15 +(2)
CON 12 +(1)
INT 10 +(0)
WIS 13 +(1)
CHA 10 +(0)

Natural Armor: Provides a light armor bonus when not wearing real armor
Four Arms: 2 extra arms that can use weapons
Caffeine Sickness: Due to being an insect, caffeine functions like alchohol. Too much can still be fatal.
Forbidden Romance: Thanks to some weird rumor about female thri-kreen eating the heads of their mates (Tik-Tik has no idea where this started), Tik-Tik has a harder time finding long term relationships outside of her species.

You are a bounty hunter seeking to explore the stars while making a decent living hunting down criminals, desperadoes, and other degenerates. After completing a bounty in Luxka Coalition space, which paid a hundred gold, you are looking for new work once again. Having recalled a mention from a fellow bounty hunter of some high profile criminals worth decent bounties you decide to check out the nearby world of Cerularius and see what fortunes might await you there. Before arriving on the small world you first stop at a nearby space station to refuel your vessel and to see what bounties might be available.

Your ship had just landed in the space station and you are already having it refueled for the last leg of your journey to the new world. The latest bingo book with new and updated bounties is open for viewing at a nearby terminal. No telling what adventures await you on your latest hunt.
TheUnknown

Re: The Roads We Take

Postby devilbird » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:30 pm

Tik-Tik stretches her arms as she walks up to the bounty board. She had just gotten a decent haul, decent for her anyways, and was ready to hop right back into the action. She gets a lot of strange looks, since her people were kind of rare outside of her own planet. Tik-Tik pays them no mind. Her companion and best friend, much to her dismay at times, floated behind her. Weech felt it his duty to give Tik-Tik sass for the relatively cheap criminal she had chosen, as well as how she had almost botched everything multiple times. Tik-Tik dismissed him and continued to scan the board. This time she was going to find a bounty that she could use to really make a name for herself.
devilbird

Postby TheUnknown » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Weech floats behind you for a moment before flying off to see what fun and interesting things were nearby. Focused on your work you power up the terminal and make your way into the bingo book. Seeing the large list of bounties displayed with a name, known image, price, wanted dead or alive, and lastly if or if not the bounty was already claimed. You narrow down the search parameters to Cerularius and find the usual listing of thieves, petty criminals, and other types of degenerates you had dealt with in the past. What does catch your eye however is a recent addition to the list. It reads "Target Name: Barnaus Evans- former head of the Ordovian Merchant's Guild. Reward: Alive, Bounty: 6,000 Gold, Bounty: still unclaimed". This seemed like a very ideal target for making a good buck and making a name for yourself. Below the bounty was the option for more info. Looking back to check on Weech you see that he stole some merchant's hat and only returned it after making him trip over a nearby bench. Laughing he returned to your side and beeped with excitement at the bounty wondering if you would take it or not.
TheUnknown

Postby devilbird » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:30 pm

"Barnous Evans... 6,000 gold just for some merchant? This could be the easiest money we've ever made. What do you think Weech?" Tik-Tik asked as she turned around. She chittered with frustration when she realized her companion wasn't there. Her head darted from side to side as she scanned the area for her mischievous robot. Tik-Tik could feel her heart sink when she saw Weech steel a man's hat. She hid behind a sign, because there was nothing more inconspicuous than a giant bug halfway sticking out of the thing she's trying to hide behind. The man tripped on a bench and face planted pretty hard, making Tik-Tik wince. Weech finally returned the hat to the man as he lay on the ground. He came floating up to Tik-Tik in spite of her trying to shoe him away, and gave the smuggest look a small orb with no face could make.

"Come on," Tik-Tik said while keeping an eye out for security, "We need to go find information on this Evans guy. Lets hit a bar or something, preferably one that's out of the way, and see what we can find."
devilbird

Postby TheUnknown » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:37 pm

Weech beeps happily before scanning about and pointing towards the passage way to your left. As annoying and mischievous as he may be at times Weech always did have a way with directions. If you make for the passage way on the left you'll find a bar with what appear to be your fellow bounty hunters and other sailors from the galaxy. Seems like a decent enough place to get info or a good drink.
TheUnknown

Postby devilbird » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Tik-Tik followed Weech as stealthily as she could until she felt she was safely out of sight of the merchant. She didn't see if he had gotten up, but was sure he was probably fine. Hopefully. When she got to the bar, she paused for a moment to figure out how she wanted to play this out. People tended to be wary of her, so they wouldn't offer up information so easily. She stuck out like a sore thumb, so eavesdropping wouldn't be an option. That left buttering up the crowd and seeing what info she could get. The gold she got from her last mission would be an investment to the six grand she was hoping to make. Besides, she was wanting to celebrate after her most recent mission anyways. She threw open the door and strutted in like she owned the place. She wanted everyone's attention.

Tik-Tik made her way up to the bar and said, "Bartender, I'm having a great day and want to celebrate. I'd like to buy a round for everyone and get a party started."
devilbird

Postby TheUnknown » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:26 pm

Everyone looks toward you when you enter and then return to their business. Not the usual greeting you'd expect, but better than silent staring or a panic ensuing at the thought of being eaten by a giant bug. "You best have the gold if yous looking to start that up" the bartender says waiting for payment as a few of the other patrons noticed your proclation and waited eagerly to see if they would get free drinks.
TheUnknown

Postby devilbird » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Tik-Tik dropped her payment from her last catch onto the bar. 100 gold to buy the good stuff for everyone. While Tik-Tik waited for the bartender to check and count her coins, she looked around the place to see what she would be dealing with. This kind of riffraff were her kind of people. She just wished she had more experience with them to know what her kind of people were like. She tried to keep up her confident persona while making sure that Weech stayed close. Less for his sake and more for hers.
devilbird

Postby TheUnknown » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:40 pm

A cheer goes up in the bar as they bartender starts pouring out the pints of the good stuff. Looking around the place you humans, animal Mystics, lacertilians, some prometheans, and the usual sort you scum you'd expect to see. Most of them focus on their drinks when they reach the tables. Knowing your type more drinks leads to looser senses and loose lips perfect for finding any potential information.
TheUnknown

Postby devilbird » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:58 pm

Tik-Tik looked around as her plan got off to a great start. A little more schmoozing combined with another round or two would probably get her the information she wanted. The problem is that those drinks would probably eat up all of her money before she could even leave the station. The large bug woman pulled her chrome companion to the side and tried to enlist his aid.

"Weech," she said quietly, "I need you to do me a favor. I need more... Weech, look at me. I need more money if we're going to get these people drunk enough to tell us what we want to know. Weech, focus. I want you to go out and find what ever cash you can. I can not stress how much I would prefer you to get it legally, but if you can't then at least don't get caught. Also, keep an eye out for any easy jobs to make a quick buck. We'll probably need to make up for our expenses here."

She sent Weech on his way and immediately regretted her decision. However, that did not dissuade her from moving along with her plan. Tik-Tik scanned the crowd for a group that would be more receptive. Once she found one, she sat down with them and tried to make conversation.
devilbird

Postby TheUnknown » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:07 pm

Weech mischievously beeps before heading out of the bar to do your task. Looking around the bar you see a table with a father diverse group that would seem rather receptive of you. It consisted of a human, a panther mystic, a lacertilian, a jatherwe, and even a cyclops. If you didn't know any better you might think this the start of some humorous anicdote. Taking a seat they greet you at their round table. "So what brings you out this way?" One of them ask while the others are busy with their drinks or chatting to each other.
TheUnknown

Postby devilbird » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:43 pm

"I'm mainly having fun exploring. My kind don't really get off planet much," Tik-Tik says with a wink, "So when my chance came along I took it. Beats rotting on some remote dustball. I figured this bar would be a good place to celebrate the start of my adventure. I'm Tik-Tik by the way."

The bug woman extends one of her hands to greet the stranger. While he could probably guess a handful of reasons why she was really here, Tik-Tik didn't feel the need to announce her motives until everyone was too drunk to care. Many of these people were likely rivals, especially if they have any information. At worst, they'll already by onto her and realize it's just part of the game. Plus who can turn down free drinks?
devilbird

Postby TheUnknown » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:50 pm

"Well I'm Nolan bit out of place here myself" Nolan, the human, says as the panther mystic female turns to join the conversation. "Nolan here is a historian with a bit of a weird fetish" she says before downing another bit of her drink. "I'm Zen by the way" she casually adds in. "It's not that weird Zen and it's for a relatively good cause" he turns back to you. "I've been putting together a calanddr with different exotic species from the Galaxy and so far I have two slots left. Been paying a thousand gold to any who volunteer for it" he says before zen burst in again. "Ya I'd believe that with the first picture or two, but the rest were just plain smut" she says taking another shot of her drink. "You wouldn't be interested in filling of the two last slots would you?" Nolan ask hoping Zen hadn't poisoned your thoughts on the job. Easy if not immoral money for pictures. A odd prospect, but one that could always be considered if nothing better came up.
TheUnknown

Postby devilbird » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Tik-Tik considered the proposition. 1000 gold was nothing to sneeze at. And it wasn't like she was bothered by going nude if it did take that direction. Thanks to their exoskeletons, her people never really had to worry about the elements. As such, clothes were never really necessary and nudity never became a taboo. Hell, if it weren't for her hat and coat, she'd be naked already. She really only had two reasons she even wore them. The first was that it made hiding and carrying things a lot easier. The second was that it seemed to put the humans more at ease with her, if only by a little. Besides, maybe if she did end up showing some sex appeal, she could put an end to some of the nasty rumors about her people. Ever since she left her home, she's been constantly assaulted with gossip that the women of her species eat the heads of their mates. It was absolutely horrible and barbaric sounding. Not to mention completely unfounded. Tik-Tik hadn't gotten laid since she left her home planet several years ago, since other Thri-Kreen never seem to leave the homeworld. At the same time, it seems like every other species in the universe was fucking each other left and right. It wasn't fair. Tik-Tik didn't really have a reason to say no, but she thought maybe she could take advantage of this situation a little longer before accepting.

"I'll consider it," Tik-Tik said slyly, "if you're willing to also throw in another round for everyone here. It's my party and I want to keep it going. I'm perfectly willing to keep buying drinks for people, but I want to be spoiled a little too. In the meantime, why don't you two tell me more about yourselves? What about you Zen?"

Tik-Tik wanted to keep the conversation going for as long as possible. More talking meant dry mouths, dry mouths meant more drinks, more drinks meant loose lips. Besides, it wouldn't hurt to learn a bit more about the people she was talking to. Heavens know that she could use more friends.
devilbird

Postby TheUnknown » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:43 pm

"I'm a hunter by trade, but I've started doing a bit of merc work on the side" she says eyeing her glass before Nolan buys another round for everyone. "Well if you keep this up Tik-Tik I could start to like you" she says with a grin before starting on the second drink. The jatherwe, a short dwarf like person, turned into the table after chugging down both of his drinks at once "guys have I even told you about this new drill we've made" he says before letting out a loud burp. "It's like almost pure energy all glowy like and cuts through almost anything. He looks over at you, squints, and takes another drink to make sure he wasn't seeing things. "I'm mister fuquoy, merchant and miner by trade. The two dolts next to me are Bramocles, the cyclops, and 'blood eye the swift', the lacertilian, don't ask how he got the name" the red haired jatherwe man said before continuing his drinking.
TheUnknown

Postby devilbird » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:07 pm

She greets the three new faces politely and says, "So a merchant, a hunter/mercenary and a photographer. What brought the three of you together?"

Tik-Tik was curious about how the three knew each other, since it sounded like at least Zen and Nolan had met before this bar. She wanted to know about this drill Fuquoy was talking about. And while she didn't know as much about the Historians as many around her seemed to, she knew they were a big deal. It seemed like her new drinking buddies had more going on then first meets the eye, and she wanted to know more. While it wasn't likely, Tik-Tik had a hunch that they may be connected to the Ordovian Merchant's Guild. If she was right, then they could have info on her bounty.
devilbird

Postby TheUnknown » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:15 pm

"Well through one way or another we all met. I met Nolan from a dare and I've known mister Fuquoy for sometime since we trade a lot" Zen said as the cycle turned. "Zen was the first person who I photographed for the calander and afterwards we got a bit too drunk" Nolan says trying to laugh that part off "I met mister Fuquoy when I served with logistics before getting a leave for this project" Nolan say as the two looked to mister Fuqouy to finish out the tale. "Ay what they said" he said with burp before going back to his drink "had to tell my two friends here to stop trying to fuck Zen till she told the, they could" mister Fuqouy said as Zen just shrugged. A rather odd yet casual bunch if ever you saw one.
TheUnknown

Postby devilbird » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:36 am

"I see," Tik-Tik said, a little surprised by the mammal's openness, "it must be nice to have friends so, uh... close."

The bounty hunter was enjoying her strange but fun conversation with her new friends. But she couldn't let herself get distracted. Again. She kept an eye on the glasses and ordered another round when they were close to empty. It was about time to steer the topic towards the planet.

"So," she ventured, "you know about me. What brings you three to the area? Locals or..?"
devilbird

Postby TheUnknown » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:42 am

"I'm here working in the calander" Nolan chimes in with little shock. "I'm in between jobs and visiting these goof balls" Zen says as they turn to mister Fuqouy. "I'm here on business to collect a payment" he says happily taking another drink and slipping a bit. The drinks seem to be taking their guard down though you have to wonder if there even was any. "Say would you like to head out to the private studio I've rented nearby and can see the set for the photo shoot. I got more drink and some food thee" Nolan says a bit drunk himself. "You should do it I'd love to get to know you better" Zen says with a wink and grin. "If there's more food and ale you know I'll join ya" mister Fuqouy said. It seemed that you might be able to mix business and pleasure for once.
TheUnknown

Postby devilbird » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:54 am

"Mmm, that sounds like a fun idea," Tik-Tik said. If this was going where she thought it was going, then this was going to be the most fun she's ever had on the job. It was rare finding even one person that was interested in her. Finding a whole group was going to be a rare treat indeed. Being so pent up may be influencing her into making poor decisions. She did agree rather quickly, without thinking about any consequences that might happen. Who cares? She was getting money, info and hopefully laid. Tik-Tik paid the bartender anything left that she owed and followed the group to the studio. It wasn't until she was almost there that she realized that she forgot to leave a message for Weech. Oh well, he should be able to find her. If he couldn't, then they would seriously need to talk about the nature of their partnership.
devilbird

Next

Return to Roleplay