Dis-Harmony Ep.1

For free-form roleplay about anything and everything!

Dis-Harmony Ep.1

Postby exalted » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:58 am

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea

Leave the men where they lay
They'll never see another day
Lost my soul, lost my dream

I feel the black reaching out
I hear its song without a doubt
I still hear and I still see
That you can't take the sky from me.

Lost my love, lost my land
Lost the last place I could stand
There's no place I can be
Since I've found Serenity

And you can't take the sky from me.

The music slowly fades it squawking from cracked speakers, signalling a change of shift on the Harmony as it continues to float through the Blackness of space. Senyce Trynant is the first to notice something is wrong when she doesn’t hear the familiar wracking cough of the Captain coming towards the bridge to take his shift behind the controls, responding to the crooning of the song.

Minutes tick by and still no sound of the old man echoes down the metal hallways. Even hung over or drunk, the Captain has never missed his shift. Concerned Senyce leaves her post, hurriedly sliding down the stair railing to access the gangway above the crew cabins, seeing the rest of the crew stumbling from their stations or stumbling too them as they rub sleep from their eyes.

Banging on the Captains hatch brings no response though it does gain the interest of the rest of crew who gather around. The intercom appears to be broken but a strong kick forces the unlocked hatch open, the hollow bang of the metal echoing and reverberating through the ship. Looking down the hatch shows only the pale glow of the cabins lighting, but still no sounds. No drunken threats or crude lechery, no hacking cough of sound of bottle breaking after it’s been thrown, no sound of the Captain.

Climbing down, the crew takes in the sight of the Captain’s cabin. The largest on the ship, you’ve all been in here at least once, after too much drink or the loneliness of space got too much, but the room seems different now. You realize it was the man that made the room come alive, the tacky silken drapes in vibrant hues, the faux wood fireplace and bear rug that seemed just so absurdly charming. Now they pay poor memorial for the motionless figure lying stretched out, face down on the bed, half covered by a silk sheet, smelling of piss and vomit.

Two safes rest in one corner by the Captain’s desk, the Captain’s personal safe and the ships. The door to the ship’s safe swings open freely, empty save for a single document, the Captain’s last will and testament. You all knew the Captain was not a healthy man, drinking away his pain on a daily basis, but none of you expected this. The Captain always seemed so full life when he wasn’t in one of his dark moods, and he seemed fine the last time you all saw him.

Reading his Will, the Captain left the ship, her cargo and finances all to you, an even split, he writes, urging you to stick together, and keep the Harmony flying. You’ve all been running from or looking for something out here in the black, and even if he didn’t find it he hopes you do.

SHIP LOCATION: One day from Persephone.

Vhexo
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Starting Personal Salvage: 3
Bonus Starting Cash: +8

Spriter:

Starting Personal Salvage: 8
Bonus Starting Cash: +2

Dracoslicer:

Starting Personal Salvage: 10
Bonus Starting Cash: +6

Knight:

Starting Personal Salvage: 12
Bonus Starting Cash: +8

Spitfyre:

Starting Personal Salvage: 3
Bonus Starting Cash: +4
exalted

Re: Dis-Harmony Ep.1

Postby spriter1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:50 pm

Niamh was on her way out of her room and letting out a yawn when she saw Senyce go past, thinking to herself <Another day on the Harmony... Time to find out the list of things people have broken in a drunken stupor...> Before realizing that this is the first time the mechanic has seen the co-pilot out of the bridge when we were all supposed to be starting their shifts, the girl usually spending hours up there with the captain before coming down here for a rest. Thinking through the list of possibilities, none of them being too pleasant, are only reinforced seeing the woman banging on the Captain's door that makes Niamh head over to see the intercom, and more then likely by extent the door controls are busted.
The mechanic gets ready to tell Senyce to hold on a minute and she'll fix them, more than likely the reason the captain isn't anywhere to be found yet, but instead it comes out a sigh when the woman manages to get the door open with brute force. She quickly follows behind, curious herself as to why there wasn't even so much as a compliant from One Tooth since he would have more than likely been stuck in here, moving to the side to allow others in before casting her eyes upon the room. Seeing it, the mechanic just stands in stunned silence, not making a movement for a moment before just taking off her helmet and holding it against her chest, casting her eyes down to the ground.
spriter1
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Vhexo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:21 pm

<This is getting ridiculous. The bridge unmanned and the Captain not opening his door! This isn’t like him at all…>, thought Senyce whilst trying to get the door open. She could see she already made quite the commotion, because the rest of the crew already looked at her with amazement while figuring out what was going on. Senyce tried the door one more time before deciding, <I don’t have time for this. Maybe there is something wrong with the captain>!, and forcing the door open with a powerful kick. Senyce climbed down the ladder as fast as she could, and when she arrived in the captain’s cabin, she looked around and immediately felt something was very wrong. The room seemed different, almost like if the captain wasn’t there.

Senyce turned and looked at the captain’s bed, and what she saw filled her with dread. She could vaguely hear the others coming down after her and she could hear reactions similar to her own. <But… but how? When? Why?..>

She saw something on the captain’s desk. When she looked at it, she saw two safes standing on the desk, one of which looked unclosed. She walked over and tried to open the safe, which held a single piece of paper. Taking a quick glance, she read the captain’s last will with awe. When finished, she turned around with a expression full of dread, and passed the last will to the other crew members.

Without saying any more words, she climbed the ladders again and went to the bridge of the ship. <What a way to go… he didn’t deserve that.. he deserved so much more… but I guess he would’ve wanted to go in his own ship… and now it’s ours….>

<Don’t worry Captain, wherever you are. We won’t let you down. We’ll stick together.>
Vhexo

Postby spriter1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:35 pm

Seeing the note being handed to her, Niamh puts her helmet back on before giving it a read-over, handing it to the next person before seeing Senyce leaving, making the Mechanic follow after her. she at least waited until they were both out of the room before saying "Hey, wait up!" and quickly catching up to the woman before saying "So um... What's the plan now, captain? After all, being the Co-pilot, you would be the next person in line to take control. Also... What are we gonna do with his body? We can't leave it sitting in his own waste, but I don't really know what would be respectful to do with it..."
spriter1

Postby KnightVanilla » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:44 pm

The Harmony a small little ship to call her home. Yeana woke up to prepare for her daily duties of making a meal and doing an armory check. With what encounters they do have on the more risky jobs its good and handy to know what you have and what you can do to make use of it. Noticing the smaller commotion near the captains cabin Yeana approaches as she was the third one to read the letter. It was shocking at first that the captain had died in his sleep. Yeana always thought he would go down with the ship. The bastard had always been stubborn and took in more than enough of that poison he called liqour to kill ten horses. Hearing the sudden panick from Niamh, Yeana puts a hand on her shoulder. "We finish the job we're on first. We have five prostitutes that need to be taken to badger.... Our course is still for Persephone. We'll drop off the women there first get paid and find a better place and time to bury the captain."
Life has gotten so much more boring. Well I suppose it doesn't help if I say my only source of entertainment is YouTube and here. So yeah not much of interesting life going on.
KnightVanilla

Postby Vhexo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:06 pm

"Hey, wait up!"

Senyce heard a familiar voice behind her, and turned around to see Niamh catching up to her. She waited for Niamh to catch up, before continuing to walk to the bridge.

"So um... What's the plan now, captain? After all, being the Co-pilot, you would be the next person in line to take control. Also... What are we gonna do with his body? We can't leave it sitting in his own waste, but I don't really know what would be respectful to do with it..."

As Niamh said this, Senyce heard another voice behind her.

"We finish the job we're on first. We have five prostitutes that need to be taken to badger.... Our course is still for Persephone. We'll drop off the women there first get paid and find a better place and time to bury the captain."

“Yaena has a point. I guess will stick to the plan the captain had, and take the girls to Persephone since we’re already fairly close. But we’ll have to arrange a meeting with the crew as soon as possible, and decide about the future, although I feel like we should honor the captain’s will.”

She waited a couple of seconds before continuing.

“I’ll take command now, but we need to discuss the new position with the crew. I’m not really a leader-type, you know.”, Senyce said with a little smile.

“As for the captain, I presume miss Mason will take care of his body, since it’s her line of expertise. I hope she can preserve it enough until we’re indeed at a better place and time.”
Vhexo

Postby spriter1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:13 pm

Niamh listened on to the two women talking, before giving a nod and saying "Well that makes sense. One more question though, well... Two. Both involving the captain. Firstly, if it ends up we are splitting the items and someone comes across the skeleton key he carried, may I have claim of it? Since I used to have to ask him to let me into each area that needed repairs, and that would help speed things up. Secondly, should I take his personal safe and see if I can get it opened?"
spriter1

Postby KnightVanilla » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:26 pm

"I'm not sure you would want to do that til we got this boat grounded. The captain was always a cautious with his belongings. Wouldn't be surprised if he rigged it to explode if you didn't open it right." Yeuna said Jokingly. "Well... speaking of Explosions I have to do a check on all of our fire arms and explosives. Rather not have any of those missing now." With that said and done she let the girl think on those words of a booby trapped safe. Besides with the way they were talking about the commotion the ship's safe wasn't left open on purpose like that. There might have been some foul play with one of the passengers. It wouldn't hurt to... ensure her suspicions were just that.
Life has gotten so much more boring. Well I suppose it doesn't help if I say my only source of entertainment is YouTube and here. So yeah not much of interesting life going on.
KnightVanilla

Postby spriter1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:46 pm

"To be honest, I would be surprised if it wasn't. I just thought I might as well take a look at it at least in order to figure out what is going on with it. I should probably wait until everyone is finished in the captain's room though... I'll fix the intercom as well after that, so I'm not bothering anyone."
With that, Niamh goes to leave the bridge to work on one of her projects, only to stop at the door. "By the way Senyce, anything else need repaired today? You're the one sitting behind the controls after all, and I haven't gotten around to building myself something to give me a readout yet."
spriter1

Postby Vhexo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:59 pm

"I don't think I saw anything bleeping that shouldn't be, so we're probably fine on that front.", answered Senyce.

"Also, maybe you should check out on the others, and see if they're fine. We'll have a meeting in an hour, tell everyone we'll meet in the dining area.", with that said, Senyce turned around and look at the controls. Everything seemed to be fine, and she quickly found herself occupied by planning in the last part of the route into the ship's database.
Vhexo

Postby Dracoslicer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:12 am

Jamie had been passed out in the engine room... again, but when she woke up she went around and checked everything to see if it was up to standards, and even if it wasn't, she was going to give it thorough cleaning to keep it above standards. She was always taught to keep the equipment up and running before she ate and that's what she planned to do today.
Dracoslicer

Postby spitfyre » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:21 am

Sammy hears the loud bang after yet again organizing the med bay. She had another long night and it was really the only thing that could keep her busy. Putting down her tools she walks to the source of the noise. Walking into the captains cabin cautiously, expecting the be yelled at she quickly sees the source of the commotion. Their captain was dead in his bed. Walking over she examines him, assessing how he died. " I think he killed himself" Sammy said quietly so the rest of the crew could hear her. "Otherwise, why would he leave the safe open with just his will in it. he was clearly planning this." Sammy then closed his eyes and pulled a sheet over his face. " If I could get some help carrying him to my med bay so I can start working."

OOC- could I know how he died? I assume he either drank himself to death or OD'd
When life give you lemons, get sour 'bout life. Image
spitfyre

Postby exalted » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:31 am

Spriter, Vhexo

The Harmony seems to be working reasonably well for once, with no apparent issues.

Vhexo

Checking the console you see you are roughly 7 hours away from Persephone with nothing currently obstructing your path. You know the closer you get to the planet the more likely that will change.

Knight:

The armoury seems to be the same as when you left it at the end of your shift, the ships meager fire power still secure. Heading to cargo hold to check on the "other cargo", you make sure no one is around before sliding one of the metal grates aside and slipping into the hidden compartment below the hold. The smell of stale alcohol assaults your nose, turning on a lamp pack shows a thick a bunch of crates set up like a table and chairs. The crates are marked that they contain long live rations, that expired twenty years ago. Two dented mess tins rest on one crate, a quarter full, by a burnt out candle. Reaching in the support beams that run overhead, you know exactly where to find a bottle of Captain's favourite rum, a smile forms as you remember some late nights down here with him.

Moving past the crates you head to another panel, all of this a ruse in case some inspector got snoopy. Sliding aside a small plate you find the access reader for the hold. It's locked, and wont open without the Captain's key, but at least you know it's secure. Leaving the hold you notice movement up on the gang rail, Cassidy Chi, the Mistress of prostitutes your transporting looks down her nose at you.

"I hear there has been some disturbance?" She more states than asks.

Spriter:

When you go to check the intercom you find that some of the wires have burnt out, not surprising considering the age of some of them, however one of the wires that burnt out is new wire you ran only a few weeks ago. Still it might be nothing, something else could have failed deeper in the ship and fried them all.

Spitfyre:

Briefly checking the body you find no signs of foul play, supporting you theory. You wont know more until you get him to the med bay.

Draco:

The engines seem to running fine... or as fine as can be expected... the engines are running at least and don't look like they are going to explode or flood the ship with radiation.
exalted

Postby spriter1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:48 am

Seeing the burnt out wire and the fact it was new, Niamh raises an eyebrow at the fact that while it could be just something failing, it should have affected more intercoms rather than just the captain's. Hearing the medic ask for help to bring the body down to the med-bay, Niamh gave a shiver at the thought of it, but headed down and said "How do you want me to help?"
She made a mental note to herself to see if Jamie was still in the engine room to ask her to head to the generators and see if there was any power spikes, and also to fix the intercom for the room after moving the captain into the med-bay.
spriter1

Postby spitfyre » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:58 am

Sammy looks around the room briefly and then says. " I just need help carrying him that is all." Sam then grabs the top half of the body and motions to Niamh to grab the feet.
spitfyre

Postby spriter1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:20 am

Niamh quickly follows orders, a bit sheepishly grabbing the man's feet and lifting with the other woman, following her along as they bring the body to the Med-bay.
spriter1

Postby Dracoslicer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:28 am

Jamie frowns at the engines, she wished she had more supplies to work with to get these up to full operations but for now they'll be fine, she then decides on a whim to check if the communications in the engine room were operational, she was going to check everything imaginable to see its condition before she would go eat, but she knew she was going to need to at some point in the future unless something came up beforehand.
Dracoslicer

Postby spitfyre » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:41 am

Arriving at the med-bay Sammy sets the body down on the exam table. She looks at Niamh and smiles at her. "Thanks for the help, you probably don't want to stick around for the autopsy though."
spitfyre

Postby exalted » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:57 am

Spitfyre and Spriter:

The body has already begun to stiffen up as you move the late Captain, making it slightly easier to get him up the ladder from his cabin but presents some challenges when trying to make corner.

Spitfyre:

Examining the body you confirm no obvious signs of foul play, there are no puncture wounds, bruisers or broken bones, just the all too familiar scars of a hard life. You think, judging by the dried fluids on him, that the Captain had sex shortly before his death. To know more you would need to cut into the body.

Draco:

After a brief burst of static the Intercom burst to life, apparently fully functional here in the engine bay.
exalted

Postby Dracoslicer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:11 am

Feeling content enough with everything in the engine room to go eat Jamie would put all of her tools away then head to the mess, she wasn't sure what she was craving but she did know she wanted to eat just about anything at this point.
Dracoslicer

Next

Return to Roleplay